back to article British boffins make touchless computing tech on the cheap

Researchers at University College London have developed software that lets users control a computer using voice, facial expressions, hand gestures, eye movements, and larger body motions. All that's required is a regular webcam — no special hardware needed. The software, called MotionInput, was developed to enable touchless …

1. redpawn

Where's the God in this?

Only through Cloud can one achieve digital salvation!

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Where's the God in this?

It has no cloud dependency. No DLC, no microtransactions. Doesn't send telemetry or push "exclusive content from carefully-curated partners". No enforced updates. No mandatory account creation. No social media integration.

Please, at least tell me that it has a Modern UI where text and controls are indistinguishable from each other (and the window background) and there are dark patterns to steer you away from the useful options?

Spidey-sense tingling. Does not compute. Error! Error!

2. Andy E

Excuse me but how is Google going to serve you the right advert if it can't analyze your gesture, eye movement, voice pitch or breathing?

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
        Coat

Must... not... do... obvious... prOn joke...

1. David 132 Silver badge
          Happy

Oh go on. You're among friends like-minded unreconstructed perverts here.

2. FozzyBear
          Gimp

Was going to make similar comment. Although it does take the Pron industry to truly realise the full value of new tech

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No need...

"...joystick signals. This means users can use anything from their nose to their hands to browse the internet..."

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If it's WIndows based it should recognise the middle finger up as a command to protect privacy..

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

You seem to have a sore finger. Would you like to sign up for Microsoft health care?

2. Chris Gray 1
    Meh

AMD CPUs?

Hmm. Is there stuff in the Intel-provided libraries that prevent them from running on AMD CPUs? That'll cut out a good portion of laptops and desktops.

1. alisonken1

Re: AMD CPUs?

Specifying Windows indicates it runs on the x86 architecture, which includes AMD.

The explicit limitation in the article is Windows only at this time.

1. deive

Re: AMD CPUs?

*cough* x86 extensions *cough*

3. Swarthy
    Thumb Up

Fitness for programmers

No you can code via Interpretive Dance, swapping pirouettes for semicolons.

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

Re: Fitness for programmers

Waving hands in the air and talking ******** is generally know as testiculation.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

So, basically, you are saying all the devs and programmers can be fired and the PHBs, marketing and sales, ie those best at handwavey stuff, will be the new devs?

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

swapping pirouettes for semicolons

That makes me think of Victor Borge's Phonetic Punctuation. Showing my age I suppose.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

I just installed it

First, it doesn't work well on a tablet (which I'm currently using, Surface Go 2) but the problem isn't a lack of power, it's that my face and fingers are too close to the screen.

That said, it shows definite promise, although there are some glitches which is to be expected in an early release. I haven't gone through all the documentation since I avoid RTFM and it's not that intuitive. Voice recognition works, sometimes, as does gesture recognition, which works less reliably on my tablet for the reason detailed above. I haven't figured out how to move the cursor so I can't test the thumb and different finger gestures which can generate mouse clicks.

I may try it on one of my big computers and actually read the documentation.

It's not yet ready for prime time (and I certainly wouldn't want my surgeon using it which was one of their use cases) but I will take another look when it comes out of beta.

Re: I just installed it

"I may try it on one of my big computers and actually read the documentation."

That;s actually, possibly intentionally, quite an endorsement. You installed it and successfully played with it in a non-optimal situation with no instruction and it mostly worked. I look forward to your comments when you've read the user guide and have a more optimal PC or laptop to try it on :-)

2. Martin an gof Silver badge

I have a potential use-case for it, but placement of a webcam is going to be awkward - it'll either be off to one side or about 8ft away from the user above a projected image. I suppose I could look for a webcam with a zoom lens.

Your experience is that it doesn't like being too close, but how about far away?

M.

1. that one in the corner Silver badge

> I suppose I could look for a webcam with a zoom lens.

The Raspberry Pi can be used as a webcam; with the newer camera module you have a wide choice of C/CS mount lenses, bound to find one that'll fit your needs. Though the aesthetics of a Pi bolted to camera module aren't to everyone's tastes.

"Though the aesthetics of a Pi bolted to camera module aren't to everyone's tastes."

I'm sure there are a plethora of different cases available[*] to suit every need and decor :-)

[*] either physically available to buy or as 3d printing files.

2. Martin an gof Silver badge

I already run a gazillion* Pis around this place, but from the article I don't think a Pi has the grunt to be able to run the software (leaving aside the fact that it's Windows-only at the moment) which does the image analysis required to locate a user's hand in space and determine if they are making a "click" or "zoom" or "wipe" or whatever gesture...

M.

*rough approximation

2. Cederic Silver badge

Many modern interchangeable lens cameras (particularly mirrorless ones) can be used as a standard webcam, which gives you a large range of lens options with great optics.

I won't name specific models, as there are options for a range of budgets and sensor sizes.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

From my experience it requires far away. The question is how far away. For navigation I suspect a distance measured in feet would be fine. For eye tracking it might need to be closer.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

Thanks - the hand tracking is the thing which has piqued my interest as it might replicate the function of a device we already use but which is long past its sell-by date. Ideally the camera would be above a projection screen, so something like 3m away from the user and probably 1m above their (seated) head. There might be a way to put the camera behind the screen (which is basically a bit of painted plasterboard) so that it looks through the screen and isn't above the user but that would risk dazzling the camera with the projection.

M.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just ned the free-floating holographic display now..

- and I can pretend I'm on the bridge of the Rocinante! :-)

1. 42656e4d203239 Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Just ned the free-floating holographic display now..

let me Rush to upvote the reference... no wait... thats an Expanse reference not a reference to the the song Cygnus-X1 by the Canadian rockers... but wait... maybe the ship in Expanse was named after the ship in Cygnus-X1?

Whatever, have a pint and celebrate the lack of heat today.

6. tatatata
    Joke

Let me quote the Hitchhikers Guide for you:

“For years radios had been operated by means of pressing buttons and turning dials; then as the technology became more sophisticated the controls were made touch-sensitive—you merely had to brush the panels with your fingers; now all you had to do was wave your hand in the general direction of the components and hope.”

1. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

" It saved a lot of muscular expenditure, of course, but meant that you had to sit infuriatingly still if you wanted to keep listening to the same program."

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

" It saved a lot of muscular expenditure, of course, but meant that you had to sit infuriatingly still if you wanted to keep listening to the same program."

Yeah I actually had one of those once. It was a DAB radio which the reception on was so bad, moving about the room would kill the sound. As would the wrong type of weather, lorries going past the house etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like