back to article Microsoft lures SMBs to Cloudy PCs by connecting them to Xbox accounts

Microsoft has teased a raft of enhancements to its Windows 365 Cloud PCs, among them the chance to use personal accounts to log on to the virtual desktops. Personal accounts are in play because Microsoft knows some small businesses haven't signed up for Microsoft 365, the software giant’s bundle of productivity software and …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"enable United States Government contractors"

Who should absolutely not be connected to The CloudTM in any way.

Congratulations. I'm sure Beijing is thrilled.

2. Mike 137 Silver badge

Microsoft lures SMBs to Cloudy PCs

Once they've got you by the balls, who gives a tinker's cuss about your hearts and minds? All they're interested in is your wallet.

1. Evil Scot

Re: Microsoft lures SMBs to Cloudy PCs

“When you have their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.”

― Terry Pratchett, Small Gods

2. navarac Bronze badge

Re: Microsoft lures SMBs to Cloudy PCs

Seeing as Microsoft just about abandoned SMBs at the start of the pandemic, I would carry on as I have been and f*** Microsoft and their money grabbing ways. There is no knowing what they'll do to SMBs once they are in the grip of the Black Cloud!

3. HenryCrun

XBollox

Next it'll be Xbox platform as a service (XaaS). The continued slide into game playing and multimedia pink unicorn emojis instead of a robust secure operating system continues.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: XBollox

Yeah, they are constantly pushing XBox and/or XBoxLive accounts in these sort of situations for some weird and only logical to them marketing reasons. Considering the installed base of Windows users, I would think Xbox owners/account users are a tiny minority in the overall scheme of things. Likewise, why is something as niche as XBox getting apps/shortcuts and actual running services installed in a default Windows install?

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

There's a list of things one has to do with a Windows 10* PC to make it more acceptable; this includes killing Edge with fire and properly disabling telemetry. Killing XBox is also on that list.

*What do you mean, "Windows 11"? Never heard of it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"... instead of a robust secure operating system"

Uhhhh... this article is about Microsoft. Oh wait, are you still dreaming about "a robust secure" Windows? Good for you... keeping the dream alive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like