back to article Slack to increase prices for Pro customers

Everything seems to be getting more expensive these days, including chat platform Slack. The Salesforce subsidiary announced the price rise almost exactly a year after the $27.7 billion acquisition was completed. Slack was keen to point out that the price increases were the first since the service launched in 2014, and would …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Mushroom

The changes to the Free tier might not be entirely welcome and could result in users having to change their workflow to deal with the 90-day rule regardless of all the other features now on offer

If you don't like the changes to the free tier, contact your account manager and ask for your money back.

Oh - you didn't actually pay for anything? Then stop complaining.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I guess the reason there is a free tier at all is some small percentage of spontaneous upgrading to the paid version.

The customer data itself might be worth something too.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not that they keep only the most recent message history, they're keeping all of it but they won't delete it nor let you read it until you pay.

If they kept only part of it --what you can actually see-- that's ok, as they're saving server space from freeloaders. But what they're actually doing is more like ransomware.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What a tedious, pointless post

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Please, please price yourself out of the market

I know Slack will never disappear, but it'd be nice if it stopped being a "thing"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Please, please price yourself out of the market

I had no idea it still existed.

I wonder how is it that while nobody has ever managed to unseat email for non real time messaging (and not for want of trying), every five years everyone keeps coming up with a new, walled garden, incompatible with anything else chat service. And this after XMPP settled the technical aspects of the problem 23 years ago.

I don't blame too much the entrepreneurs trying to make a buck or a billion out of it. What puzzles me is that they seem to have an audience.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

I was about to say the same thing.

They are still around? Who knew?

2. ecofeco Silver badge

And this after XMPP settled the technical aspects of the problem 23 years ago.

Look, it the wheel isn't re-invented every 10 years, are tech douche bros even trying?

3. Mayday
    Coat

I hate all of these “productivity and collaboration” apps

Slack, Teams, Webex and co.

Best way forward is to not turn them on.

Boss: “I didn’t see you on Teams?”

Me: “hmm app must have crashed and I didn’t realise. Must have been from that upgrade the other day”

4. pip25

We never got that into Slack

The paid version was already expensive enough that our company refused to buy it, and the free version was annoying enough that after the initial hype, activity slowly died out on the server. Our team moved to Skype (gasp) last month; we discussed Teams as well, but the majority hated the client with a passion.

1. MatthewSt

Re: We never got that into Slack

Don't know about the more recent versions, but we found Skype very good for group messaging and calling. Easy to see who's read up to where, handles flakey connections well (including the dreaded offline scenario), good for calls and screen sharing too.

Considering it's pretty much the same infrastructure, it's depressing how much better it is than Teams...!

5. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Glootie

For any Rick and Morty fans out there

You know what I am inferring

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like