back to article Hush now: Baby talk has common features across languages and societies

People sing and talk to young infants in a similar fashion across a range of diverse languages, locations, and societies, a machine learning and citizen science study has found. The research claims this has implications for the evolution of language, even suggesting some common features with forms of animal communication. Led …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

"a special connection to infant care in human psychology"

Unless you're Klingon.

Klingons don't sing, they growl.

1. GidaBrasti
      Childcatcher

Re: "a special connection to infant care in human psychology"

They do it in a "similar and mutually intelligible" way though...

2. Danny 2

Re: "a special connection to infant care in human psychology"

"Klingons don't sing, they growl."

That's speciest! Klingon opera is widely regarded as being better than American opera. Like German opera but less aggressive.

2. Mike 137 Silver badge

So people talk to babies in baby talk?

If this (as suggested by the abstract) indicates a general tendency in communication with infants, I wonder how culturally determined it is, given the homogenisation of behaviours resulting from mass communication. Linguistic differences may not be strictly tied to cultural trends any more.

I haven't forked out $32 for the paper, so it might be explained somewhere, but I'm wondering what the significance of this work is, particularly as the sample on which the tests were performed appears to have been all adults, not infants.

3. Pete 2 Silver badge

Woof!

> The researchers argue that in animals, sounds have converged across groups to show friendliness or approachability in close contact calls

So that explains why (some) people talk to their cats and dogs as if they were surrogate children.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Re: Woof!

Everyone knows that cats and dogs can and could understand human speech. In my ancient Rome, it was rumoured that cats wrote an obscure form of poetry which they passed off as the work of someone named Virgil.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Virgil

Catullus eratne?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Redundancy in speech (and power of processing) is damn near perfection

Human speech is intelligible at c.20%

Human speech processing can correct mis-speaking in real time.

5. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Tap, tap

My cats will use double tap me on an arm or a leg to get my attention, using a paw - the frequency is uncannily about the same as if a person were tap another on the shoulder

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Tap, tap

Cats do imitate humans: For instant, adult cats don't communicate by vocalizing, but they have observed it's the favorite communication method of humans, so they use voice to "talk" to us.

Some cats are even perfectionists and push this to extremely comical levels, trying to actually imitate human speech patterns. My father's cat tried it once, but us humans rolling on the floor laughing clearly offended him and he stopped after a couple attempts... Yes, he was clearly (and justifiably) offended that we were making fun at his honest effort to "speak like a human".

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

One of my childhood cats had a specific meow she used as a greeting that sounded uncannily like "Hello"

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

One of ours got renamed teletubby after she started "saying "eh oh" when we got home or she came back in after an expedition :-)

(on reflection, I suppose eh oh is pretty close to hello)

2. Spherical Cow Silver badge

I also had a cat who said Hello (Eh-Oh) as a greeting. He had a vocabulary of several distinctively different sounds for use in particular situations.

3. Primus Secundus Tertius

Old Shakey had a cat named Hamlet. Its most famous line is, "Miaou, miaou miaou". Most human actors get it wrong.

2. heyrick Silver badge

Your cat needs to level up, I think.

I find myself getting up to go find the bag of crunchies, only to find my little furry fiend sitting behind me staring intently. It is at that precise moment that I realise that I've just been brain-hacked by a vastly superior intellect.

3. Primus Secundus Tertius

@F & N

My mother was very deaf. Her cat knew that to get her attention it had to tap or scratch her. It was astonished when one day it realised that I could hear. They certainly think about the world around them, but not in words.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

> They certainly think about the world around them, but not in words.

Well, after all cats were supposed to live and survive in constantly changing and quite challenging environments, all alone, so they need quite some intelligence.

They just don't stoop so low as to do stupid circus tricks like fetching their master's slippers, so the egotistic humans consider them as dumb: A "pet" is there to serve and/or amuse us, isn't it.

4. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

So cats can double-tap. Can they right-click too?

1. DS999 Silver badge
        Holmes

Can they right-click too?

Only the polydactyl ones.

They can also manage half of the cut and paste steps!

6. ThatOne Silver badge
    Facepalm

...and the pope is catholic

> People sing and talk to young infants in a similar fashion across a range of diverse languages, locations, and societies

Next they will discover that all humans are one and the same species, and that their brains initially work the same way until education shapes them to fit into their specific society and customs...

Re: ...and the pope is catholic

Yeah, I was thinking that it must be pretty natural the world over the realise the babies make higher frequency sounds than adults, so making similar sounds back at them is more likely what they will understand. Likewise, speaking or singing to them, the adults realise that a baby is not going to understand complex sounds and so simplify them. It's almost, but maybe not quite, a No Shit Sherlock moment. Like a lot of "common knowledge" sometimes it takes someone to go, "Hey, is this really true? Should be look into it and test for it?"

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Unhappy

Re: ...and the pope is catholic

I'd really like to know why we were both downvoted.

That's why I hate downvotes. An upvote usually means "I agree" and doesn't need much explanation, but downvotes (assuming they aren't just a childish "I hate your guts" sign) must mean disagreement, and that would merit some explanation: So I'm wrong? Please be so kind to enlighten me as to why...

7. OhForF' Silver badge

ML classifying songs

>Applying linear regression LASSO machine learning models – one for speech and one for song – the researchers were able to classify whether recordings were infant or adult-directed on the basis of their acoustic features.<

Is that available online somewhere?

I have a suspicion that some popular hits and a lot of german "Schlager" would end up classified as "infant-directed".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

allgone lettuce

Err, ISTR a long, long time ago reading about infant language (was it Chomsky?) and learning that all infants of whatever nationality have a different grammar to adults, resulting in two-word 'sentences' such as 'allgone lettuce' being universal. So it's not terribly surprising if adults try to use similar rules to communicate with their offspring.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: allgone lettuce

So as children we devise a simple and efficient manner of speech... and as adults we trample upon that in our children in order to inflict verb conjugation, accords, genders, and all the other crazy rules of human language.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No way!

Yes way!

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

More likely adults are taught to communicate with children in that manner as it's all the brain can deal with at an early stage of development. With a rudimentary grammar and very restricted vocabulary there's a limit to what can be communicated. As the brain and its language centres develop more complex grammar and a greater vocabulary enable richer communication.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Happy

Babies run successive versions of DOS, it's only later they acquire a multitask OS with a graphical UI.

That's why the first interactions are quite limited: "cd a:", "dir"...

9. Danny 2

Ding Dong!

My first words, indeed my only words for three years, were, "Ding Dong!"

Mum must've bought me an ice-cream cone from an ice-cream van one day. And every day the van would visit I'd assume she couldn't hear it so I'd shout that at her to alert her.

I was a late talker - why bother when your favourite thing only needs two words? I was taken to a speech therapist later because I'd say words backwards, I don't know what that saw about. I can't recall the treatment but it was the '70s so probably involved drugs, shock collars and needles under my nails.

1. david 12 Silver badge

Re: Ding Dong!

One of my friends was taken along to a speech therapist in the 70's. He was a nice man, and she enjoyed the visits.

Then he was replaced with a cranky child hater. That cured my friend. She started talking properly so she wouldn't have to go to the speech therapist.

2. Juan Inamillion

Re: Ding Dong!

Clearly your mum hadn't used the alternative meaning that the ice cream van's bells meant that it had run out of ice cream...

10. david 12 Silver badge

Try to avoid the circular thinking in the subheading.

The researchers haven't reported identifying connection to existing evolutionary knowledge: they report creating knowledge about evolution.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like