back to article Rocky Linux 9 and its new build service enter the ring

The Rocky Linux Project has released version 9 of its RHEL-compatible distro and debuted its new build service. Rocky Linux 9, codenamed "Blue Onyx", is here at last, some two months after the upstream distro on whose source code it is based. Its progenitor, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9, was announced on May 10. The best-known …

1. TrevorH

VirtualBox requires the guest additions to do integrated mouse. Those GA are not included in any RHEL9 clone, not even RHEL 9 itself so any rebuild of RHEL 9 will be lacking mouse integration in VBox. It's not unexpected.

2. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Red Hat/Oracle

-> Red Hat was not altogether happy about Oracle Linux, which is fair enough: some interpreted the release of Oracle Linux in 2006 as an attempt to undercut Red Hat's support revenues and cause share prices to drop.

Well great big bolshy yarblockos to Red Hat. Red Hat's support IS expensive. Don't like the competition heat? Get out the kitchen or provide demonstrably more value for the greater price.

I'm not a great fan of Oracle or Red Hat, but Red Hat is hardly the white knight in shining armour.

1. JoeCool Bronze badge

Re: Red Hat/Oracle

Facts ?

Support *is* expensive, at least the good stuff is.

Are you claiming Oracle support is less expensive. I think there's a contradicting case study somewhere.

3. Kev99 Silver badge

But how fat is it?

1. seven of five
      Joke

I presume this is not the appropiate (though tempting) time for a "mom" joke?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My mum is so fat it makes your distro look thin......

Perhaps I've misunderstood this genre of joke????

4. alain williams Silver badge

How quick to release ?

I am not bothered if it takes Rocky a couple of months to get the first version out of the door. What is more important to getting security updates out quickly.

5. Zolko Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

I don't get it

I don't use RedHat or any of its RPM derivatives, having been bitten by the RPM-hell back in the days, and now using only Debian-based Linuxes, but isn't this sort of RedHat rebuild a rip-off ? Yes I know it's all open-source and the like, but what's the point ? If it's a rebuilt, it's not RedHat ... it might be compatible, but what's the guarantee ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't get it

It's CentOS Jim but not as we know it :-)

2. Youngone Silver badge

I'm guessing that if you're looking for a guarantee you'll pay Redhat. I'm just looking for something stable.

3. thondwe

A lot of sites need something stable and supported by Enterprise Vendors (e.g. HP Server Tools/Drivers, VMware Tools, Enterprise Apps etc) but begrudge actually paying RedHat when the OS is open source and they have local Linux expertise?

4. Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

[Author here]

Yes, it is a rip-off, in its way, but it's a type of rip-off that RH has vacillated between hindering, then encouraging, then endorsing, then killing, then encouraging again. It *is* confusing.

If I try to explain this, it will take thousands of words. That's an article, not a comment.

Is that worth doing? Is this something people want to read? Let me know.

1. JoeCool Bronze badge

@Author

I moved from Fedora to Centos 8 at home, so I already know what I lost when when RH aborted.

I am more wondering what segment Centos Stream actually caters to.

2. nautica Silver badge
        Thumb Down

No.

Thanks for asking, though, Liam, and understand that my answer is most definitely not a reflection on your abilities, which are considerable...and which would be wasted on such an undertaking.

It is simply not worth doing.

5. MacroRodent

> having been bitten by the RPM-hell back in the days,

That must have been before RPM-based distros also got dependency-aware package managers, like Red Hat's dnf (previously yum), and SUSE's zypper.

6. JoeCool Bronze badge

Guarantee of what ?

Compatability of what ?

If this distro doesn't offer something desirable, it will likely go away.

6. alain williams Silver badge

I have just installed it ...

went easily (under qemu under Debian). Seems a bit jerky (slight delay on terminal character echo).

Runs waylan (not a problem) but Gnome 4 - which I hate - I'll need to find a usable desktop.

7. chuckufarley Silver badge

So I am a week late to the party...

...But I am slow. It took me more than 6 decades to get old.

I downloaded the "minimal" .iso to install in a VM and it's 1.4 GB in size.

@Liam Proven If you can explain how a minimal .iso reaches that size it would be good. On a "slow" internet connection I could download and compile a minimal Gentoo install in less time then it would take to download the full release .iso for RHEL/Rocky.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like