back to article James Webb Space Telescope looks closer to home with Jupiter snaps

Instruments on the James Webb Space Telescope have turned closer to home to snap images showing the gas giant Jupiter. The James Webb team started the week with some frankly jaw-dropping imagery of deep space and have rounded it out with images of Jupiter and spectra of several asteroids. The captures were performed to test …

1. alain williams Silver badge

photographing a turtle

So NASA has now let slip the real reason of the JWST: to try to snap an image of Great A'Tuin.

1. 42656e4d203239 Silver badge
      Alert

Re: photographing a turtle

err - not really - cos A'Tuin is under the disk on which we live and JWST can't point at us cos the sun would cook the instruments!.

1. Steve K

That would be a turtle disaster

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Coat

We'd have to shell out for another one.

1. adam 40 Silver badge

You taught us a valuable lesson!

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
        Mushroom

You can't have it both ways: if the sun is that dangerous then we would be orbiting the sun as the heretics claim. But we all know that the sun is orbiting the disc…

1. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

We all know that Discworld is the only world in the cosmos that occasionally requires an elephant to lift a leg to allow the sun to pass.

3. Bill Neal

They could just do it at night

4. C R Mudgeon Bronze badge

Not him, then, but his cousin, sin A'Tuin.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
          Coat

Is this coat with the Great Book of Trigonometry Puns in the pocket yours by chance?

2. mpi Silver badge

I now imagine the NIRCam with little imps inside, painting images of stars really fast, while wearing tiny space suits.

2. Chris Gray 1
    Happy

Not Dirty

On first glance of the Jupiter image, I was wondering if there were already dust lumps or something on the mirror. Then I looked at the left limb of Jupiter and you can see that its a whole bunch of moonlets. Cool!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not Dirty

Either that, or Jupiter has a bunch of dead pixels. :-)

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Coat

So this is what they spend our money on…

A bloody expensive camera just so that they can spy on the neighbours!

What I was is a new airport, bridge or military base in our congressional district!

Mine's the one with a copy of "Lobbying for Beginnners" in the pocket…

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: So this is what they spend our money on…

>A bloody expensive camera just so that they can spy on the neighbours!

It seems they have yet to find any neighbours to spy on; but then there are the Area 51 et al conspiracy theories...

2. Danny 2

The telescope also looks back in time. If they pointed it at the earth then they see what your neighbours were up to before you posted, or evolved, or whatever you've been up to.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

Er, asking for a friend, did people miss the irony in the post?

1. Swarthy

You forgot Poe's Law, and the "<sarc>" tag

..Not helped that someone made the exact comment you are parodying in a previous JWST article.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very disappointed

...that they didn't move the infrared telescope a couple of planets over so we could have the heading

"NASA Boffins Looking For Hotspots on Uranus"

Ok, ok, someone has to do the schoolboy jokes. Can we have a combo anon/coat icon?

1. Dr. G. Freeman

Re: Very disappointed

In all seriousness, why not use it to take pictures of Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, etc ?

Or is it they're too far away to get anything decent (like the Hubble Pluto picture ?)

1. Steve Button Silver badge

Re: Very disappointed

They will, when they get around it it (perhaps not Pluto)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Wait till the press tour is over.

This initial run of photos are being chosen for wow factor, so some of these bodies aren't lined up in their ideal positions relative to the scope/earth. I expect it will be looking hard at the trans-ur.. er trans-neptunians (guess even astronomy changes on a long enough timetable) as well as the deeper Kuiper belt objects.

Since we have already done close flybys of a few of them, it will be interesting to see how the new "Big Eye" compares and how dynamic some of those systems are.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Wait till the press tour is over.

Pluto is in just about it's closest - but it's very small so might not be that interesting

Saturn is currently closer than than Jupiter - but it's directly away from Earth so not ideal for the telescope's current set of targets.

Not sure what its maximum pointing angle is compared to the Sun-Earth shield ?

1. KarMann Silver badge
              Boffin

Saturn is currently closer than than Jupiter…
              Of course these things are always changing somewhat, but as I write this, Saturn is 8.968 AU from Earth, 9.876 AU from the Sun, whilst Jupiter is 4.565 AU from Earth, 4.961 AU from the Sun. I'm guessing you might have meant either 'closer' in some other sense, like closer to opposition, or closer to some other other object?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Boffin

Certainly I think resolution will be lower than spacecraft close to planets (for instance Juno), simply due to physics of telescopes. But this is not what they are for: JWST can observe at wavelengths which have not previously been possible and so will give us information we previously could not have: certainly not from ground-based telescope and to date not from spacecraft near planets either.

5. SW10
    Pirate

We see you

able to track objects that move as fast as … 30 milliarcseconds per second

Is that enough to pick out a light freighter doing the Kessel Run?

1. Mayday
      Alien

Re: We see you

Depends on if the run is more or less than 12 parsecs.

6. Jonathon Green

‘’NASA compared this to being similar to photographing a turtle crawling when one is standing a mile away.”

Is that going to be a new El Reg standard unit of measurement?

1. DJO Silver badge

Angular values can be tricky to visualise, it needs something big and circular that's known to lot's of people and isn't too big.

I considered the London Eye Ferris wheel thingy - from the axis to the rim 30 milliarcseconds would be represented by 0.004 millimetres of the rim or 0.00000285714 linguine.

I think the Register Standards Soviet needs some smaller units.

https://www.theregister.com/Design/page/reg-standards-converter.html

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>’NASA compared this to being similar to photographing a turtle crawling when one is standing a mile away.”

American or European Turtle ?

1. stiine Silver badge

How many people have ever seen a turtle from that distance?

2. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Laden or unladen?

3. C R Mudgeon Bronze badge

Imperial. In Europe they're on the metric system.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. werdsmith Silver badge

Europa

That’s the bloodshot ice ball Europa on the left and the circle near the great spot is it’s shadow.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Europa

And just off the limb to the right of the great spot I think we can just see the sulfurous volcano host Io.

9. Not Entered

Turtle ?

You must be American. You not realise that turtles have flippers and live in the sea. The only time they crawl is when they hatch and run to the sea, and try not to get eaten, or when they need to lay their eggs on a beach.

Tortoises, on the other hand, have legs, and crawl on land. They also can't swim.

People who so "The story of the turtle and the rabbit" are morons. It's "The tortoise and the hare"

1. Swarthy

Re: Turtle ?

Not all shelled amphibians with feet are tortoises. As an example

10. Danny 2

a new El Reg standard unit of measurement?

The BBC went through a decade or two of comparing everything to the surface area of Wales. I don't know if it was just one journalist, or a deliberate insiders joke, but it culminated in something astronomical being compared to the weight of Wales.

The weight of Wales?! Is that right down to the centre of the earth or just the topsoil and coal heaps?

1. Little Mouse

Re: a new El Reg standard unit of measurement?

Maybe 5-6 years ago, I thought we must have reached Peak Comparison. It seemed every single measurement reported anywhere had to be compared to some other completely unrelated thing, as if that would help "normal" people understand better.

But it hasn't gone away. The company magazine recently reported how much food waste is thrown away in the UK in cliched units of double-decker buses, because that's so much "easier" to visualise.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like