back to article Dmitry Rogozin sacked as boss of Russian space agency Roscosmos

Dmitry Rogozin has been dismissed from his post as boss of Russian space agency Roscosmos. Speculation had been swirling around the space community as Rogozin's emissions on social media and elsewhere became ever more unhinged. A morning announcement from the Kremlin appears to have confirmed that the rumors are true: Rogozin …

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Sunflower

For what I care, they should give him a sack of sunflower seeds and send him to the frontline if he was dreaming about it.

1. Vulch

Re: Sunflower

There is informed speculation that he will shortly be appointed Administrator of the Temporarily Occupied Territories in Ukraine.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: Sunflower

Aka he was given a ticket to a Kobzon concert...

2. lglethal Silver badge
    Meh

It's a little surprising because he was definitely seen as being the Kremlin's man. But I guess even they can only stand so much crazy...

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

But I guess even they can only stand so much crazy...'

It isn't the amount of crazy but the flavour.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Pork ???

3. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Pootin

First, great, I'd even send a pint to Pootin except for everything else he's doing.

Second, I suspect that Xi may have had a hand in this. China is trying to work with Roscosmos and they didn't need the hassle.

4. Plest Silver badge
    Facepalm

Thing about dictators....

...is that they're unstable and will change their minds like the wind on who's in and who's out. When you're pushed out then you best be packing your bags else you'll be in the back of a van heading to some remote re-education centre.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dmitry is sorted, he's creamed off Billions off the space program and can look forward to a long retirement, just as long as he keeps away from locked windows and high branched trees.

Elon must be laughing his head off.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Musk won't be happy if this means less work for SpaceX...

US and Russia agree to fly each other’s astronauts to the ISS as tensions thaw

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jul/15/us-russia-astronauts-international-space-station

1. fishman

That agreement doesn't change the number of flights or seats SpaceX will be flying - it's a 1:1 swap of seats.

6. Sparkus

"Bluster and hot air do not make for a sustainable space program"

If only such a lesson would be learned by a few western entrepreneurs.......

1. Stoneshop
      Trollface

Re: "Bluster and hot air do not make for a sustainable space program"

Hot air buffoonsballoons can reach maybe 20km, which is nowhere near space. And bluster won't make up for the remaining distance.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Bluster and hot air do not make for a sustainable space program"

I wish I could remember the name of the genius who came up with the idea of the cold-air balloon. It never took off, mind...

7. vincent himpe

the trampoline works ...

8. martinusher Silver badge

When it comes to unhinged....

.....we've got those Ruskis well beat. Our political cadre includes some serious weirdos who are champing at the bit to take over come the end of the year. (The less said about the UK's political leadership at the moment...)

Running an engineering operation requires a cool head and a certain amount of emotional detachment. For example, it might have been a good idea to drop a word in a couple of cosmonauts' ears about not displaying a flag that might excite controversy. Leave that sort of thing for when you're back on Earth. That said, the continual dissing of everything Russian and Chinese in the western media is seriously tiring -- we tend to make a very big deal of every flaw we can find in 'them' while completely overlooking anything naff that comes from 'us'. Maybe its just our surfeit of journalism and communication majors relative to engineers? We're really good at making a lot of noise about what we're going to do (hand Intel and friends $52 billion for share buybacks, dividends and executive bonuses -- sorry, 'investment') but really short on the actual doing these days. (SpaceX being the obvious exception that proves the rule -- but then you need an eccentric South African to marshal a lot of underused talent using a lot of his own capital to break into a secure, lucrative and generally moribund market.)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: When it comes to unhinged....

we tend to make a very big deal of every flaw we can find in 'them' while completely overlooking anything naff that comes from 'us'.

Are you seriously comparing mass terrorism and genocide unleashed on civilian population with some shareholder shenanigans?

While I see your point, this is something on a entirely different scale and it is completely unnecessary what you did there.

3. Sandtitz Silver badge
      WTF?

"When it comes to unhinged....we've got those Ruskis well beat."

Looking at what people are spouting in Duma, what Medvedev has stated about Ukraine and how Russia jailing opposition for calling the war on Ukraine a war, I think you are mislead - or more likely - trying to mislead.

"That said, the continual dissing of everything Russian and Chinese in the western media is seriously tiring -- we tend to make a very big deal of every flaw we can find in 'them' while completely overlooking anything naff that comes from 'us'."

Name a few positive news from Russia from the last week. Should be easy then.

If you had any visibility to the Russian state controlled media (=all media), they are doing dissing everything Western. Are you not tired of that? And if/when they cant find anything to diss, Russian media are just inventing stuff.

1. anothercynic Silver badge

Well, he's not wrong about some of the utter nutcases in the US Congress and in the UK Parliament... nutcases who are given airtime and are voted in again and again...

And yes, he's not wrong about the continual dissing either.

However - You are correct in questioning whether he's seen Russian 'media' (the propaganda antics of the 'good old days' are well awake and functional) and whether the Duma outdoes the US and the UK in terms of nutcasery (is that a noun?) or not. I'd say the Duma is definitely way beyond us already, and the Russian media, well... like I say, they know the propaganda drill.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like