back to article Good news: Twitter fell over. Bad news: It's working again

Microblogging platform Twitter fell over today, leaving billionaires bereft of playthings and users having to resort to other modes of communication for their conspiracy theories. After warning that it was over capacity, the platform threw in the towel between 1300 and 1400 UTC before clambering unsteadily back to its feet. …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

So Twitter was down

And nothing of importance was lost . . .

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So Twitter was down

Good point - but where did all the (real) users vent their opinion in the meantime???

"All-too-brief reminder of quieter times as overcapacity turns to full-on outrage."

ftfy etc etc

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: So Twitter was down

Perhaps the question should be where did all those real users get their opinions ignored in the meantime.

If twitter and Faecebook were down at the same time, the effect would be similar to how the world air quality improved during the first covid lockdowns.

2. J. Cook Silver badge
    Trollface

... Twitter was down? Sorry, was too busy being productive.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Windows

I know the Twatter price is down... Probably been there twice, but I have plenty of productive time spent reading El Reg articles!

I wonder how rocketman will take this into account for his legal morass?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...they announced the system status update...as a tweet? Despite the update itself saying that people were having issues connecting?

1. DS999 Silver badge

What are they supposed to do, call everyone's cell phone?

1. teknopaul

Where I live, the bots are doing that a hell of a lot these days. Probably more likely to het a human response than on twitter.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

What are they supposed to do, call everyone's cell phone?

Put it on a website. On the www, a place that hasn’t been grabbed by a corporation.

4. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

The world's tech support channel

"I can unlock my phone without authentication"

Via email and phone tech support: "Let's run through increasingly difficult and time consuming diagnostic steps until you leave us alone or take your own life."

Via public Twitter post: "That's bad, we're checking."

5. Howard Sway Silver badge

Twitter sued Musk earlier this week

Hope they've checked today's security camera footage to make sure they don't see him climbing out of a ventilation duct with wirecutters in hand and a maniacal grin on his face.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Twitter sued Musk earlier this week

"Hope they've checked today's security camera footage to make sure they don't see him climbing out of a ventilation duct with wirecutters in hand and a maniacal grin on his face."

I think that would be too much like real work. He has people for that.

6. Barry Rueger

More Twitter-bashing

Unlike other tools - Facebook top of the list - Twitter can be very useful, but you need to put in rhe work.

Choose carefully who or what you follow. Regularly unfollow anyone that doesn't add value to your feed. Trim and purge so that you're only seeing what you need

That, I guess, is true if every platform, but at least Twitter lets you manage things effectively.

I try pretty much everything that is launched but, like thousands of very smart people, invariably wind up back at Twitter.

I do fear that at some point Jack Dorsey will hand control to somene who'll remake Twitter into a horrid Facebook clone, but so far it's still a great tool to rely on.

7. steviebuk Silver badge

Yep

"Good news: Twitter fell over. Bad news: It's working again"

The Register uses it on a daily bases.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yep

“Daily bases”

All your daily bases are belong to us

8. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Alien

Microblogging platform Twitter fell over today, leaving billionaires bereft of playthings and users having to resort to other modes of communication for their conspiracy theories.

Twitter fell over today because of a billionaires' conspiracy, helped by aliens.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Is the picture in your post from the wanted poster?

9. Trigun

Meh I still think it's a blight on humanity, along with most of social media :)

10. breakfast Silver badge
    Flame

Everything green, nothing working

Not specific to Twitter, but any organisation that has green checks on the dashboard while their service is not working should have to pay me, personally, a significant fine. It's just super-irritating. You're not deceiving anyone, you're just showing that your dashboard is shit. Make it better.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: Everything green, nothing working

But sir, are you sure? That would mean changing the bulb!

2. David Hicklin Bronze badge

Re: Everything green, nothing working

But the dashboard IS working !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like