back to article EU court says it can probe M&As even when one party has no European operations

A European court has said it can examine M&As among tech and science companies even if one of the parties has no operations in the EU. The judgement from the European Union's General Court found that it had the right to look into and rule on the planned merger between US biotech firms Illumina and Grail. Illumina is a global …

1. JimmyPage Silver badge

Sauce for the gander ?

The US has been doing this since the year dot.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sauce for the gander ?

I have a 15 page form from my UK bank to fill out so they know that my UK company with UK-based me, the sole director, is based in the UK. They try hard not to mention the US but only the IRS could spin that out to 15 pages.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah, a downvote. Back to work sir, the US govt doesn't pay you to dilly dally.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

It's not even the kind of extraterratoriality that the US routinely goes in for (Magnitzky Act, etc.) as one of the companies is based in Europe. It's actually a quite simple test: could the proposed merger limit competition in Europe by removing a potential competitor?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Illumina and Grail

Sounds like something the tinfoil hat brigade would "research".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Illumina and Grail

Quite the reverse!

Illumina is a huge name in DNA sequencing technology. I don't know anything about Grail, but if their test uses that sort of technology to determine whether your disease is an easy to cure cheap one, or a nasty expensive one, well that's the sort of prospect that gets the healthcare capitalists slobbering all down their silk ties, and makes countries with public healthcare systems very nervous.

1. Lars Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Illumina and Grail

"and makes countries with public healthcare systems very nervous.".

Why would that be?

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"even if one of the parties has no operations in the EU"

Um, that would mean that one of the companies has operations in the EU, in which case, yes, that sounds perfectly normal to me.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: "even if one of the parties has no operations in the EU"

I thought the same. I could see a couple attempts if the thing getting bought doesn't have operations, because then the buyer theoretically wouldn't be changing anything about the European market, but it also implies that they might be expanding those operations into the EU, so there's still cases for regulation. It probably does make it harder to suggest a problem, but I see no reason it should prevent them from having authority.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: "even if one of the parties has no operations in the EU"

If the buyer was European and was buying foreign firms in order to become a monopoly or prevent other competitors entering the market that would be a reasonable concern.

Obviously if the buyer is totally foreign but buying a European operation this is investigated, otherwise a buyer just needs to form a front company outside the Eu, claim that this entity is doing the deal and has no presence in the Eu and so is free to do anything

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge

M&As

I'm assuming that's Mergers and Acquisitions, but it would be nice to make that clear to those of us with no contact with either.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: M&As

Or some weird sex thing involving the American version of Smarties

5. whoseyourdaddy

That's rich considering the world record holder for revenue is Prilosec, manufactured by Astra Zeneca (Britain and Sweden.)

..which is better known as Omeprazole, a molecule discovered in the late seventies. They added a well-patented time-release coating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omeprazole#History

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB1023326369679910840

World's largest consumer of pharmaceuticals by cost is... US Medicare.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

We all know pharma loves to charge over the odds for products, particularly in the US due to lax regualation. But what does that have to do with the proposed merger?

1. whoseyourdaddy

When is the goal of a merger NOT to Broadcom a product people depend on?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like