back to article Microsoft intros clothing line that is absolutely not leftover conference swag

Microsoft is channeling its inner fashionista through an eyewateringly expensive range of clothing it is calling Hardwear, encompassing everything from sweatpants through to caps and t-shirts. Covered in jaunty slogans and imagery celebrating the world of Microsoft (although we're not particularly keen on going around town …

1. simonlb Silver badge
    Stop

Microsoft inspired him to be a designer

I think it's only fair to say that the Windows UI design team have been taking inspiration over the past decade from the completely bonkers, totally useless and insanely weird designs that are wheeled out during Paris fashion week. Lets just hope this guy knows where the limbs and head are on a normal human being, and whereabouts the zipper needs to be on a pair of trousers.

2. noisy_typist

Other designs

How about a BSOD or the flying windows logo but the window replaced with a chair and the strap line "Management 1.0"

I once saw a kid with a t-shirt which read "life is too short to safely eject USB" which made me laugh out loud.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Sgt_Oddball

Ahhhh

A penguin suit is indeed a fine choice, though I believe a red fedora would be a step too far.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Gimp

Display your ignorance!

Please give money to a multi-billion dollar company for the privilege of wearing their logo on overpriced clothing.

1. Warm Braw

Re: Display your ignorance!

I'm sure Microsoft's customers are amongst the least likely to display a herd mentality.

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
        Facepalm

Middle managers, however...

I once had a conversation where someone tried to persuade me that the new version of IE (7, at the time) was much better than the alternatives and he wasn't sure why anyone would use anything else. I asked why it was better and the answer was "because it's Microsoft." As to why that made it better, he really didn't have a different answer, except that they were the biggest software company in the world so everything they did must be better.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Haven't you pretty much summed up every designer label out there.

£5 t-shirt + text in royalty free font = £50 resale price.

5. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Don't they wear out pretty quickly?

Watch out for the monthly patches.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Don't they wear out pretty quickly?

Imagine walking down the street minding your own business and you suddenly stop in the middle of whatever it was you were doing because your clothes won't move for 10 minutes.

1. simonlb Silver badge

Re: Don't they wear out pretty quickly?

And then you have take them off and put them back on again.

6. Mayday
    Windows

Limited to two units

https://gear.xbox.com/products/cargo-tech-pants

Damn. Being limited to only spending $300 on this shit is utterly harrowing. At least I can buy a cap for $45 to partially satisfy things.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: At least I can buy a cap for $45 to partially satisfy things.

Are you saying that cap purchases are capped?

7. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

Support

Microsoft underwear?

Bras and jockstraps with little or no support?

Victoria'sSatya's Secret

8. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Coat

"and there is meaning behind each item in Hardwear."

And the meaning is... profit!

9. Mr Dogshit

Just in time for SysAdmin Day

10. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

If you've got an appointment in the morning you have to get up early

Just in case you can't put your clothes on for an hour or so.

(And having to keep taking your shoes off and putting them on again is real hassle).

11. Howard Sway Silver badge

an eyewateringly expensive range of clothing it is calling Hardwear

If you think this is bad, just wait until they bring out their Softwear range. You'll have to pay a monthly fee to rent it, it'll be full of holes that reveal embarrassing private details, and it'll only come in massively large sizes.

12. disgruntled yank

In You Not On You

This recalls Alien, but I don't suppose they've licensed the image.

1. F. Frederick Skitty Silver badge

Re: In You Not On You

When I read that slogan I found myself inexplicably humming Throbbing Gristle's classic "Something Came Over Me"...

13. simonlb Silver badge
    Trollface

Do They Come With an EWLA?

End Wearer License Agreement.

25 pages of tedious legalese essentially telling you what you can wear and when, and that none of the clothing is warranted for use in a nuclear reactor facility. Also comes with a compatibility chart detailing which items of clothing can be worn together, which ones are only partially compatible, and which will not go together and breach the EUWA.

14. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

The Trousers...

They come with belt loops, but when MS became aware that a competitor was supplying belts, they launched a thing called the Microsoft Truss Center and issued a new batch with the loops removed.

15. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Coat

Microsoft Defender

brand Condoms

16. Binraider Silver badge

Disappointed to not find jazzy Win3.1 wallpaper plastered into bike shorts and leotard?

Maybe should suggest it to the folks at BlackMilk who did the Tetris legs before a million Chinese copies appeared.

17. AdmFubar

And "clippy" pop ups out of the clothing and asks if you need help dressing yourself.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

If its only clippy that pops out, consider yourself lucky.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like