back to article Oracle seeks $1b savings, staff prepare for layoffs

Oracle executives are reportedly eyeing up a $1 billion cost reduction program that includes revamping the organization and making thousands of employees redundant. According to The Information, the layoffs may "disproportionately impact" workers in the US and Europe in business areas such as marketing for software …

1. WhereAmI?

Why would anyone want to work for that company?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

mostly for the street cred

it looks good on your CV.iso ...

2. BOFH in Training

"Oracle, Ellison claimed, hoped to replace HR systems in US hospitals to make staffing more efficient." -- I think they missed out the words "and expensive" after efficient.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

I think you're being generous. You could just replace "efficient" with "expensive" and that would suffice.

3. FuzzyTheBear
    Mushroom

Hell with them

If they treated their customers right instead of suing them all the time , they'd be ok.

no pity

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bet

None of the layoffs are in their license audit department.

5. sebacoustic
    Unhappy

burgeoning market!

"...technology required to build a revolutionary new health management information system in the cloud"

Insert your own post Roe v Wade comment here... i got into enough trouble for a bitter joke about this.

6. GrooveCat
    Unhappy

Oracle's internal mantra (yes ex-employee here)

If you are not sales or marketing, you are considered an overhead....

1. WhereAmI?

Best friend's daughter was an Oracle on-site consultant and was paid extremely well for it. Too well. After ten(?) years of that, Oracle saw her as an overhead and she was 'reassigned' out of the company. Constructively dismissed, as I understand it, but too stressed out over it all to take them to a tribunal. Boeing snapped her up for almost twice the pay and less than 25% of the stress, according to her. And (quote) 'I don't even have to get out of bed in the morning'.

Pity she's still *kin about with Oracle crud, but at least Dear Larry's audit department gets no traction with her database usage.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They want to lay people off that have been there 7+ years and have never gotten a raise or bonus increase, yet they're hiring new people on at twice the veteran employees wage and we're forced to train them to do our exact job. Hey Safra, hey Larry, share the wealth because your veteran employees are literally GOING BROKE FOR YOU. Enjoy your yacht, and Safra, enjoy your ridiculous salary. Thanks for nothing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like