back to article Australia bins $41m app contracted to Accenture

Australia's government has scrapped an app that had been intended to replace paperwork for incoming visitors to the country. Commissioned last year with a AU$60 million ($41m) budget, the software developed by Accenture worked, but was notoriously difficult to use. Worse still, passengers were still required to complete a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Australia bins?

From the Minister's comments, it appears the headline should have been "Australia to throw more money at Accenture to fix their app". Her comments talk about putting the app, which works but is impossible to use, on hold while the UI is improved, presumably by Accenture.

They may rationalize it as 'don't throw the baby out with the bathwater' but from past experience I see it as 'throwing good money after bad'.

2. Mayday
    Coat

Accenture

I think that we (Aussie citizens, and citizens of other countries too Im sure) already give too much money to Accenture and their ilk.

3. SnOOpy168
    Go

SG Arrival Card (SGAC) with Electronic Health Declaration

Hey Australia.

Singapore has a visitor arrival e-card

https://www.ica.gov.sg/enter-depart/entry_requirements/sg-arrival-card

Perhaps you can study this and modify the workflow to suit your need. The code is already there, just a matter of inter-government cooperation and sharing.

4. eldakka

Australia bins $41m app contracted to Accenture

As is the fate of every Accenture app.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Accenture formerly Arthur Anderson’s

Politicians should not be anywhere near IT systems.

They don’t have a f in clue.

The big consultancies run rings round them and probably went to the same prep school.

ALL IT projects should be done via a tendering process that includes the countries Computer Science organisation.

The tenders should then be put into the public domain without pricing and let the EXPERTS rip them apart.

I was in a meeting where the supplier wanted an additional £30k to build the DELETE function for an order, did not go down well when I mentioned that a cascading delete trigger and a button on the UI was all that was really needed and could be completed within 2 days fully tested.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: Accenture formerly Arthur Anderson’s

Not defending the quote from Accenture, but deleting an order like that is a really bad idea. Much better to have a 'soft delete' so that there's an easy audit trail. Probably easier to implement than your cacading delete, so won't have been recommended by Accenture either!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like