back to article Florida man accused of selling fake, broken Cisco devices from China to hospitals, schools, military

A Florida man has been accused of selling to hospitals, schools, and others fake and malfunctioning Cisco equipment imported from China. Onur Aksoy, 38, of Miami, peddled the fraudulent and counterfeit networking gear via at least 19 of his own companies, and 25 or more storefront accounts he set up on Amazon and eBay, …

1. fxkeh

" fail completely or not work correctly"

If his scam ran for that many years I wonder if the counterfeits were actually that bad compared to genuine Cisco.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: " fail completely or not work correctly"

On the other hand, if this was the real kit, it was apparently worth a $1B in total and he sold it all for $100million. If buying *anything* new and it's being sold at 10% of retail, you really, really ought to stop and think before buying it. I can only imagine that the very high failure rate means he was replacing failed and DOA kit frequently which might explain his much lower revenue compared to equivalent retail prices. Although that still doesn't explain how he managed this for years. Surely he didn't have many repeat customers.

1. sanmigueelbeer

Re: " fail completely or not work correctly"

People would not have realized they bought counterfeit 2960X only until they make attempts to upgrade the IOS of the switch. And this happens very rarely. Why? Because those people who purchased counterfeit switches usually do not have access to the files legally.

Most of the time, people who purchased counterfeit Cisco switches just stick these switches in a dark corner of the office/room after configuring them. And they are in this state for several years.

2. Trotts36

Fine American name that

That’s all. Almost like ripping off people is part of the culture

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fine American name that

Yup, when being ripped off, you want to be confident that it’s Cisco ripping you off.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

What is a typical "American" name then? People have been immigrating into the "melting pot" for centuries from all over the world. Many of those "foreign sounding names" (to you) might be 3rd, 4th or more generation citizens for all you know. I'm sure the indigenous peoples think Smith, Jones or Trotts are weird foreign immigrant names too

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

What is a typical "American" name then?

Zuckerberg?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Joke

Re: What is a typical "American" name then?

Is the character in Beverly Hills 90210 that ran the school newspaper?

2. TimMaher Silver badge
          Trollface

Trump?

Donald:- “Jen, JEN! Where’s Melania?”

Psaki :- “Somewhere in Eastern Europe I think.”

4. IGotOut Silver badge

Spoken like a true ignorant twat, utterly oblivious of the US history.

It's like ignorant Brits saying I hate bloody foreigners I'm a real Anglo Saxon!

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Haha. I can't see any ignorant Brits here -- but I do have my eyes closed.

And anyway, brexit is going great.

2. PhilipN Silver badge

Arriviste! I am Pictish and I want my country back!

1. Plest Silver badge
          Happy

If lovely cuddly Nicky gets her way you will!

A born and bred Eastender I'm moving up there in a few years to retire so if you get her to hold off closing the borders to Sassanachs for a little while longer I'd be grateful.

3. Rafael #872397
    Unhappy

Decadence!

Florida Man used to be cooler, as per other news ("Florida man run over by van after dog pushes accelerator"), ("Florida man enters wrong home, tries to kick everyone out"), ("Florida man builds mini car for his pet parrot"), ("Florida man mistakes girlfriend for hog, shoots her").

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. xyz123 Silver badge

Thousands of people in hospitals could have died when networks went down and they were unable to receive lab tests etc.

Should give him 1yr in prison for every single patient in each hospital at the time the equipment was installed.

Oh thats 30,000 people? well we'll give you 15,000yrs off for good behaviour. And you'll be eligible for parole in just 5000 years!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No more than genuine Cisco garbage.

Given that the EULA on genuine hardware prevents any compensation when failures happen, it seems harsh to have punishment for when counterfeit hardware stops working…

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

A more professional question is why the hell is it being deployed into a live environment without any even basic testing and a basic fallback plan?

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Ah, well that's because they'll have laid off all the techies to save money. What was that other, Oracle, story about?

3. martinusher Silver badge

>Thousands of people in hospitals could have died when networks went down and they were unable to receive lab tests etc.

That's a bit hyperbolic, the typical DA/prosecutor overstatement. The worst that's likely to happen is significant inconvenience. Because....

Any competent IT department will soak test a new unit before deploying it. They're also likely to be particularly careful with used or reconditioned equipment -- it will probably be fine but you don't want to rely on it until its proven. Also there's this entire 'single point of failure' business (see "Rogers").

4. Mr Dogshit
      FAIL

"could have died"

Well did they, or didn't they? Evidently not.

P.S. If it's worthwhile counterfeiting Cisco kit, then Cisco kit is overpriced.

5. localzuk Silver badge

What took them so long?

The govt intercepted his dodgy kit since 2014, yet it took until now to arrest and charge him?

What took them so long to deal with it?

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: What took them so long?

They were probably unsure if this was genuine Cisco kit behaving normally or fake/recycled Cisco kit.

1. localzuk Silver badge

Still, doesn't take 8 years to confirm that.

2. Plest Silver badge
      Unhappy

It took our Foreign Office 6 bloody years to get that poor woman out of that Iranian jail and she'd done nothing wrong! Glacial is too fast a word to decribe speed at which governments work.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

To be fair, Boris did help with her sentence... erm... Gaff #5367

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

After all the C & D letters and being kicked off Amazon & eBay several times he's not going to be able to make a convincing plea of it being a first offence.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like