back to article Microsoft cloud exec accused of verbal attack on staff exits

Microsoft cloud lieutenant Tom Keane is departing the megacorp where he has spent the past 21 years in various senior roles. He is heading for the exit a month after featuring in a report about the toxic culture among company execs. Keane, a corporate Vice President at Microsoft, started out in the Consulting Services division …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Other news from Microsoft is that Poeterring has joined them. https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Systemd-Creator-Microsoft

2. OldCrow 1975

Managed by knife in the back.

Being an Executive for Microsoft. Is a job for Genghis Kahn. You have to know that you are there to kill off other Execs.

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

He's perhaps heard

That there's a job at Number Ten coming up.

4. steviebuk Silver badge

Very rude

"Keane leaves behind a business in rude health. "

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Very rude

Shut up! Did not!

5. Totally not a Cylon
    Megaphone

Sounds like a good boss.

One former Microsoft exec claimed they'd seen Keane "reduce people to tears."

One place I worked I had an HR muppet say with a perfectly straight face "You cannot yell at anyone as that means the relationship is broken and that is bad" in response to being told that I only yelled at underlings who screwed up and then tried to cover up their actions.....

Yes, happy workplaces are nice but incompetents should expect to be yelled at if they don't admit to mistakes - they might not have been properly trained.......

1. The Northerner Up North

Re: Sounds like a good boss.

I took a job only to find out that the guy I was replacing had died at work through a heart attack after being balled out by his raging manager, unfortunately said manager had created a process only he could manage and refused to hand over, so the firm turned a blind eye to his behaviour.

After I left (he was one of the reasons for doing so) he lambasted one of my former colleagues to the point where said colleague had a full on mental breakdown and I believe never returned to work there as a result.

That manager had serious anger issues and unfortunately back in the late 90's there was little in the way of company policies to protect employees from managers of this type - you either lived with it, moved on, or died at your desk...

1. GotThumbs

Where did it say the MS Exec balled anyone out?

2. steviebuk Silver badge

Or gone in the next day and shot the place up. Which, sadly, has happened. More reason actions like this need to be stopped.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Do that where I work and you'll likely end up with a broken jaw.... If you are lucky.

1. EricB123 Bronze badge

Oh, you worked for that boss too?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Yes, happy workplaces are nice but incompetents should expect to be yelled at if they don't admit to mistakes"

If you can't do that *without shouting* then your communication skills are lacking, you probably shouldn't be in the position you are, and you are a liability to the company, I'm afraid.

1. GotThumbs

Where did it say he was shouting?

1. Someone Else Silver badge
          Facepalm

Reading comprehension is a skill...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You obviously like the idea of driving people to suicide then?

You sound exactly the sort of boss we read about on GlassDoor and the sort of boss I've sat through twice in HR meetings while someone from the exec team was present to fire them for staff abuse.

I've even sat through a legal trial where an employee had already begun legal proceedings to sue the manager for abuse and the company legal team had to try to calm things down as the company was looking at six figure threat looming 'cos of one manager of our team abused an employee for 12 months straight and the employee ended up having to have psychicatric treatment due to failed suicide attempt because of the abuse.

So you think driving employees to suicide is a good way to manage a team? I'll be sure to watch for you on GlassDoor!

1. GotThumbs

Re: You obviously like the idea of driving people to suicide then?

It's about doing the job stupid.

FACTS > Feelings.

GlassDoor is a joke and the fact that you put any weight on it's content just shows you do not have any real leadership ability.

1. Trixr

Re: You obviously like the idea of driving people to suicide then?

An employee or manager who can do their own work perfectly well, but who has a negative effect on their colleagues, team or division can cause a lot more loss of productivity than one person who c*cks up once.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If the only way you can deal with performance issues on your team is to shout at people you're a complete failure of a manager.

Sounds like you've not been properly trained to be honest.

6. Potemkine! Silver badge

One former Microsoft exec claimed they'd seen Keane "reduce people to tears."

What an asshole. I hope he'll get one day his reward for such an awful behaviour.

Is there no law in the US forbidding moral harassment at work?

1. IGotOut Silver badge

No it's actually encouraged. Look at how many companies are run run by narcissistic assholes

1. GotThumbs

How many companies have you built, led?

Even NFL 'athletes' or Hollywood actors can be labeled "narcissistic assholes"

2. GotThumbs

You sound like the biggest pusy in the room.

Especially since there are no specific FACTS given...just hearsay.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Isn't it sunny outside?

I suggest switching off your computer, leaving your parents basement, and go for a nice long relaxing walk... That's if your parents haven't grounded you.

7. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

So...

-> One former Microsoft exec claimed they'd seen Keane "reduce people to tears."

What did this former exec do about it? Did he have a quiet word with Tom? Did he raise it with whoever Tom reported to? Or did he do nothing?

1. GotThumbs

Re: So...

OR was it warranted because the adult child employee screwed up something pretty important.

The is missing is the actual details/facts of what the situation was.

I've had employees who THINK they can dictate their work priority and tasks.

I had one employee (not my hire) actually leave work, without prior approval, to take his 3 year old to the movies. His excuse is his wife was going to give birth to their second child and they wanted to spend a special day of his 3 year old's first movie attendance. Our office is only open during the weekdays, so he clearly could have done this on any weekend.

1. call-me-mark

"OR was it warranted because..." blah blah blah

Reducing someone to tears in the workplace is never warranted. If you think it is, you should never be allowed to manage people.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sound like you can't manage your team for shit but sure, they're the problem and not you.

8. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Angel

Par for the Course

I understand both the Twin Saints Bill and Steve screamed and screamed until they were sick on occasions.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like