back to article Visual Studio adds ability to edit code in All-in-One Search

Microsoft has added the ability to edit code while in Visual Studio's All-In-One Search user interface. The feature is included in Visual Studio 2022 17.3 Preview 2 and follows changes to search functionality in the development suite. At the start of the year, Microsoft introduced indexed Find in Files to speed up the already …

1. david 12 Silver badge

"Inner Platform Effect"

First add search to your code editor. Then make your search more complex and in it's own window. Then add code-editing to the search window ....

Credit to https://thedailywtf.com/articles/The_Inner-Platform_Effect

2. that one in the corner Silver badge

Subtle marketing by nerd sniping

I find the description of this so weird that it is almost tempting to get VS just to marvel at the ingenuity.

Almost.

3. Kubla Cant

Sounds rather like the default behaviour of IntelliJ's find in files. If so, it's pretty intuitive - anywhere we show you code, you can edit that code.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slightly ominously, one user said that they "would prefer if Visual Studio just follows how VS Code has implemented its search."

No! No, no, no, no, no!

Search, like almost everything else, in VSCode is annoying beyond belief.

I wish Microsoft would focus on fixing and improving all the crap that's half-implemented/half-broken:

Give us C++ Intellisense that actually works. (For the love of Dog how fucking hard can this really be?)

Make F12 (Go to declaration) context sensitive. (Hitting F12 over a very obvious class member in one of my classes shouldn't open a list of a thousand similarly named things from the Platform SDK for me to choose from.)

(Just those two points alone would mean we can probably stop using search for most things in the first place.)

Give us back some of our vertical screen space that has slowly been eaten away over the years with title bars, toolbars, scrollbars, and tabs for every fucking tool window.

Give us back the performance that Visual Studio had before the switch to .Net. (Where starting, restarting, stopping and single stepping in a debug session took fractions of a second instead of many seconds.)

Make syntax colouring/highlighting work in realtime instead of lagging behind by a few seconds. (Or giving up entirely halfway through a file.)

And finally stop running a thousand helper processes in the background that kill performance for the entire machine.

<Insert other items here> ;)

</rant>

Is it lunchtime yet?

Oh, and for the article itself... isn't Intellisense meant to be an indexed database of the project in the first place? Why do you need another background process to duplicate that work? Just. Fucking. Fix. Intellisense.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like