back to article FBI warning: Crooks are using deepfake videos in interviews for remote gigs

The US FBI issued a warning on Tuesday that it was has received increasing numbers of complaints relating to the use of deepfake videos during interviews for tech jobs that involve access to sensitive systems and information. The deepfake videos include a video image or recording convincingly manipulated to misrepresent …

1. John69
    Facepalm

What role does the deep fake play?

It is not clear exactly what the deep fake is doing here. Is it just about the ethnicity of the applicant, in that the company would not employ someone who looks Korean or whatever? Or is this pretending to be actual people who put their real identifiable photograph on the web (seriously, who does that in this day and age of scammers scraping the web for photos)? If you are giving out security information just because an applicant looks a bit like a picture on the web deep fakes are the least of your problems.

It seems like if this is a security hole then it has been created by the companies for no good reason.

1. Kabukiwookie

Re: What role does the deep fake play?

This is an article brought out by a TLA to pave the path to plausibly denying major gaffes from politicians on live television.

It wasn't really Biden sniffing that girl's hair, it was a deep-fake

2. Alpharious

It's to pass the blame on the companies not vetting their employees hard enough. If these positions are that sensitive, then they need to be doing background checks, which apparently, they are not doing.

1. gotes

The applicants are providing stolen identity information for background checks.

To lend an air of authenticity to their applications, the dodgy job seekers used stolen personal identification information. The victims whose data was stolen reported their identities being used for pre-employment background checks and more.

2. Kabukiwookie
    Black Helicopters

"In these interviews, the actions and lip movement of the person seen interviewed on-camera do not completely coordinate with the audio of the person speaking. At times, actions such as coughing, sneezing, or other auditory actions are not aligned with what is presented visually," 

I knew it! Every supposed member of my team in our online 'Teams' meeting is a bot.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

I knew it! Every supposed member of my team in our online 'Teams' meeting is a bot.

And so are you!

1. Kabukiwookie

It's bots all the way down..

1. fidodogbreath

Except for the one remaining meatbag, who didn't know how to set up a bot and so now does all the web surfing work that used to be done by the whole team.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Except for the one remaining meatbag, who didn't know how to set up a bot and so now does all the web surfing work PowerPoint presentations that used to be done by the whole team.

Here, fixed that for you.

(Yes, this is an expression of my deep resentment against PowerPoint.

3. ShadowSystems

How to stop it in it's tracks.

Tell the applicant that they have to show up at the HQ in person to sign various NDA/security forms, attend a manual H&S meeting on $Topic, then get their photo taken & fingerprints scanned for use on their corporate security ID badge. The applicant will try to get out of doing anything in person for obvious reasons, at which point their ruse falls flat.

Application photos & video stills show a thirty-something $Nationality1 female, but the person claiming to be the applicant is a sixty-something $Nationality2 male? Hmmmm...

1. Richard Jones 1

Re: How to stop it in it's tracks.

That one is easy, they will state they are some variation of gender variation and then claim harassment, denial of rights and so on.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: How to stop it in it's tracks.

I'm guessing they're not trying something that extreme. It just prevents them from having to find someone that looks very much like them to steal their identity. Certain other characteristics are harder to fake, so I'd guess the age, gender, and some other physical characteristics will get matched reasonably closely before a victim is selected.

4. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Two faced

Just tell the person to show a print out containing a face next to them. If it is deep fake it will fall apart.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Can they be FINGERED as fake...?

Or ask them to hold up $N fingers...? Or ask them to do pretty much anything except talk. These don't seem particularly sophisticated. So far.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Can they be FINGERED as fake...?

Hold your hand in front of the camera and snap your fingers.

That tests the sound sync as well.

It's only a token gesture

But the hard bit's getting the avatar to do something surprising. AIUI these things aren't set up to do anything more than present a human talking - and struggle to even lip sync well.

Once the user can make it snap its fingers (suppose they've got coloured spheres on their hand that the software is tracking) then a sound effect could be produced on the audio; ask your local Foley artist. Maybe it takes some practice. Maybe they screw it up on some interviews. But I don't think producing a click alters the bar very much.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seriously?!!

FFS, I don't want my jobs some days, why would anyone else go to all the trouble of applying for it! If you make all that effort, you're a better person than I and I reckon my company should sign you up as you like working so hard!

6. herman
    Paris Hilton

Camgirlz

That explains a lot. All these cam girlz are not just faking orgasms, the in depth views are fake too.

7. Kane
    Boffin

Shoe On Head?

Shoe On Head?

8. DS999 Silver badge

How is this a new problem?

The only reason they are "deepfaking" is because of the video interview. What about phone interviews? Those were a thing before the pandemic, as were 100% remote jobs or contracts. I know, because I worked multiple contracts where the people I worked for and with never saw what I looked like.

If people posing as someone else is an issue, make drug testing mandatory. When you do that they give you the name of a facility near where you live and you have to show up in person and show ID. They wouldn't necessarily even have to care about the results of the drug test, just use the fact the applicant has to show up in person as a deterrent for this new sort of post-pandemic scam.

Joke

Re: How is this a new problem?

If you're not on drugs, you don't get the job...?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2134 AD

My Deep Fakes are all working.

I’m on the beach!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You mean that lawyer on Zoom wasn't really a cat?!?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like