back to article Microsoft issues fix for Windows 11 Wi-Fi hotspots

Microsoft has dropped a preview of its next batch of Windows fixes, slipping a resolution for broken Wi-Fi hotspots in among the goodies. The release – KB5014668 for Windows 11 – addresses the Wi-Fi hotspot functionality broken in June's patch Tuesday alongside some less necessary features like "search highlights," which " …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quelle surprise !!!

Windows 1X 'still' broken then !!!

:)

2. AnotherName
    WTF?

"Search Highlights"

I've already had to find out how to disable that in Windows 10 Pro. Why do they think I care about what other people are searching for - it's none of my business or interest. All it does is tell me how shallow many Bing searchers are.

1. Totally not a Cylon
      Trollface

Re: "Search Highlights"

So my cunning plan to poison Bing searches by using it to look for:

Anime Cat Girls, (nekomimi)

Azur Lane,

2A stuff.

etc

is working very well.....

1. Ball boy Silver badge

Back in the day, we had a SETI screensaver that helped run through their data looking for anomalies. Maybe it's time for one that posts sets of Bing queries...like 'What OS is better than Windows' and 'Why does MS release so many fixes?'

Let's see how many of **those** they allow to pop up in their oh so helpful app!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't understand why Microsoft needs a Stupid User Annoyances Department - and I would like to know who thinks user are happy to hunt for the way to immediately disable all this idiotic "services". Especially on business machines. Instead of fixing many glitches that weren't there in Windows 7 - like the Recycle Bin bugs.

1. Adrian 4

It's generally easier to add a feature than fix a bug. Especially if the feature has bugs, as they always do.

2. ThatOne Silver badge
        Devil

"Users? Yes, we've heard of them. Screw them, they are annoying, entitled, never satisfied, the source of all problems. Fortunately we don't have to care about them and their petty needs and wishes, the only people we need to please are our managers."

3. FlamingDeath Silver badge

When a sneeze, becomes code

#Microsoft

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Pirate

Windows Serarch?

In all my years of using Windows, I can safely say that I only used their search feature ONCE. When I found that it was searching the internet for something that was on my HDD I scratched my head and vowed never to use it again. From then on, I used the command line.

Naturally, MS goes out of the way to make finding your own data even harder by defaulting to hidden directories. There must be countless millions of HDD's (inc SSD etc) that a full to bursting with all the crap that MS hides away from the user. Whenever I got access to a new Windows box, almost the first thing that I would do was to unhide those directories.

MS is evil... pure and simple.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
      Linux

Re: Windows Serarch?

Best advice

treat windows as the toy it is and only use it to play games.

Rest of the time dual boot into a decent Linux (I recommend mint) to get the actual work done (and it does'nt send all your details home either)

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: Windows Serarch?

Why even use Windows for games? Thanks to the Steam Deck, more and more games are getting patches to run on linux via Proton.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Why even use Windows for games?

DirectX.

Probably the only thing Borkzilla has ever done right.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"to get the actual work done"

Unluckily it's still very difficult to get actual work done in Linux but in a few sectors - most IT related - which is not where most people work. So they boot Windows, open the applications they need, and the forget about the OS.

Unless Linux starts to appeal to desktop application developers, Windows and macOS have nothing to worry.

It's much easier to port games to Linux than many productivity applications. Especially they need API/ABI compatibility - they cannot be re-compiled with each new distro release.

1. alisonken1
          Linux

"... each new distro release"

I think you'd be surprised at how few recompiles are needed to include a program after updates.

The only time a new binary needs to be recompiled is when the main libs are updated with new API's - and even then most of them will still run just ensuring a symlink from the previous lib name to the new lib name.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: "... each new distro release"

No. Linux libraries have the nasty habit of breaking binary compatibility, because of course you can recompile. For example Anydesk was broken by Ubuntu 22.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1405323/anydesk-doesn-t-work-after-upgrading-to-ubuntu-22-04-lts

Because libraries may also disappear between releases.

This behaviours are extremely irritating for users whose life is not dedicated to worship and cuddle their OS (only people using a penguin icon like that), and by helpdesks that doesn't to like to have to modify each configuration manually, until the next thing breaks.

1. the Jim bloke
              Linux

users whose life is not dedicated to worship and cuddle their OS (only people using a penguin icon like that)

Penguins are cute and cuddly (in popular culture, as opposed to malodorous, noisy, reality), whereas all but the most dedicated self-harm hobbyists realise hugging broken glass is a stupid idea.

2. georgezilla Silver badge

" ... was broken by Ubuntu 22. ... "

And people wonder why when they ask if I use Ubuntu I answer not no, but FUCK NO!

Then I tell them that if they payed more attention, neither would they.

The last time I use a *buntu, was before I last used Windows. So *buntu version 6 something?

2. Falmari Silver badge
      Flame

Re: Windows Serarch? show me the apps

@Steve Davies 3 “In all my years of using Windows, I can safely say that I only used their search feature ONCE.”

I am the opposite I use it all the time. I don’t use the start menu list of apps as I can never seem to find the program I want. Mainly because with a lot of apps I end up scrolling up and down the menu looking for the program which can be in a folder, which can start with the program name, the company name or suit name. The programs I use regularly are pinned to the task bar and I use the search on the start menu to find the others normally takes just the first letter to find.

So, it pisses me off that the search has got progressively worse with each release of Windows. I don’t want documents or web sites in my start menu search all I want is the bloody applications. The start menu is there to start applications if I want to search the web, I will open a bloody browser.

Win11 is the worst yet by default* it shows all so type a letter and you will see a single program the rest displayed is just clutter docs, websites etc. To see the all the apps that match and only apps I must then select apps under the search bar, bloody crap.

*A default I don’t know how to change to just apps, probably not even possible to change.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Unhappy

Re: Windows Serarch? show me the apps

From what I'm told the point of Windows' search is clearly to improve Bing usage, not to help the luser.

I remember WinXP times, when I had myself a nicely organized Start Menu with thematic folders (like Work, System, Games, Leisure, Connectivity), and inside them subfolders for the individual programs (and even shortcuts for some data folders). It took literally a couple of seconds to find any program, even if some branches deployed to impressive size. But back then they had the whole screen to do so if needed, they weren't restricted to a crowded little window, like in Win7 ff.

"Windows, removing user-friendliness since 1995. Because we can."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like