back to article BOFH: HR's gold mine gambit – they get the gold and we get the shaft

BOFH logo telephone with devil's horns So the Boss has quit and we have to replace him. I suggested a piece of office furniture might achieve the same purpose – and not eat all the biscuits – but the Director would still like to fill the position. So the PFY and I are looking through a veritable mountain of CVs and cover …

1. Berny Stapleton

Brilliant...

"I hardly think it was necessary to open the stairwell door," HR notes dryly.

"Really?" the PFY says. "I think he was doing quite well – and he did say he enjoyed a challenge."

5 minutes later and I'm still laughing.... Brilliant!

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Brilliant...

Well, he was hoping to take a step forward in his career....

1. My-Handle

He was probably hoping for a step up though. Technically the stairwell door that was opened could have been going up, but I somehow doubt it given the people involved.

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge

He should just be glad that they didn't decide to give his career a lift!

1. bpfh

That can still happen. When one comes down on him after falling down the empty shaft...

2. TheWeetabix

If someone can ride a unicycle UP stairs, they can just have whatever job they’re applying for. I know when the winds blowing…

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I'd never previously realised the BOFH's stairwells had doors. A lot of time must have been wasted by having to open them.

1. EvilDrSmith Silver badge

I'm sure all the BOFH's stairwells have doors, but I suspect that not all of them have stairs.

2. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Pint

They have doors, just no handles on the other side to allow readmittance.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You joke, but I've worked in offices where the stairwell doors had no handles and you could only exit a floor unless you managed to encounter a (strictly forbidden) wedged open door.

Done for security as the ground floor door was a fire door that lead onto a public road.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Done for security as the ground floor door was a fire door that lead onto a public road."

That sounds a bit over the top. Fire doors such as this are usually emergency exits and should only open from the inside. They normally have a door open sensor linked back to security too so unauthorised use to let someone in, assuming you jave some "naughty" staff, can be detected.

3. HammerOn1024

How did Monty Python miss this as a skit?

4. Danny 5

They had me at "You mean were the head of Direct Marketing?"

2. Maverick
    Happy

"If you woke up in a shallow grave in a forestry setting with a lump on your head, would you tell anyone? Asking for a friend."

best to make candidate aware of the company exit process eh? :)

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Waking up? Surely things are done more efficiently than that.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

It depends. Maybe being put in a shallow grave in a forestry setting is just a gentle warning for a more minor offense?

For a given value of "gentle" of course

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Depth of grave correlates to severity of offence?

1. bpfh

Along with...

The presence of absence of carpet and the quantity of quicklime...

2. MrDamage Silver badge

It's more whether or not the BoFH of PFY have provided you with a roll of carpet to keep warm.

"Gentle warning"?

Since when did either of those two words have meaning within the BOFH sphere of operation?

2. bertkaye

server farm in the dark forest

Candidate: 'Tis but a scratch!'

Arthur: chops off other arm

Candidate: "You coward! Have at you!"

Arthur: $ rm -Candidate

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unicycle test

I did have a colleague who could have passed a unicycle test without difficulty. Indeed it was something of a party piece. It didn't save him from the P45 but did actually prove to be an opportunity in his subsequent career portfolio.

A.C., obviously.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Unicycle test

Your friend is Boris Johnson and I claim my £5...

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

At a previous employer, three of us were apparently in the dangerous corner: one paraglider, one diver, one unicyclist.

1. An ominous cow herd

I'm a keen diver, downhill MTB racer and skier - may I be in the dangerous corner on my own?

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge

I'll join you. When you start Kite Buggy Jumping the question is not 'Will I get hurt?' it is 'When will I get hurt?'

The one thing you learn is that Mother Nature IS a bitch that is just out to kill you in interesting ways!

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
            Joke

You're not meant to give her idea's.

2. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

I'll see your diver, downhill MTB racer and skier and raise you to.......

An IT support engineer.

3. David Hicklin Bronze badge

Add in Horse Riding - sitting on something that had a brain of its own can get quite exciting

4. Stoneshop
          Coat

Your skiing and downhill MTB racing always end in a lake?

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Joke

SCUBA diver or cliff diver?

3. swm

In our neighborhood many years ago a lot of the girls had unicycles. It was fun watching two girls with a boy between them holding hands as the girls tried to teach the boy how to ride a unicycle.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"prove to be an opportunity in his subsequent career portfolio."

He described himself as a trick-cyclist and ended up in psychiatry?

5. TRT Silver badge

I know one chap who seemed dead set on going for a constructive dismissal claim... I think his crowning glory was when he asked the boss for four months sabbatical leave in order to go on a juggling tour of the balkan states.

4. phuzz Silver badge
    Gimp

Favourite CPU socket?

For me it would have to be Socket 754, as used by AMD's first ground-breaking Athlon 64 CPUs. Fine pin pitch, the perfectly proportioned hole in the middle, and a very satisfying mechanical clamping when you lower the lever, just brilliant.

Never been a fan of LGA sockets :(

1. GlenP Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Favourite CPU socket?

Wouldn't know - it's a hardware problem! :)

Seriously, anything but the 40-pin DIL sockets of the early systems.

1. KarMann Silver badge
        Devil

Anything? Even Slot 1? Or does that just not count by virtue of not being a proper socket?

1. Glen 1
          Angel

Surely the correct answer is socket 7/super 7?

Lasted for years.

1. LogicGate Silver badge

Nope, the correct answer is "no socket at all"

Solder the CPU to the mainboard,

slot the mainboard into a matching milled aluminum frame, and apply a thick layer of conformal coating / potting.

Ensure that all components are properly specced and avoid tall components.

Install the Mainboard vertically, so that g-induced forces will not flex the board, and use a sealed enclosure with a proper gore-tex membrane.

The device will continue to work even in a shallow grave long after the local wildlife has made off with your bones.

1. An_Old_Dog Silver badge
              Unhappy

UPGRADABLE CPUs

Please recall the point of socketed CPUs was to allow drop-in upgrades. That doesn't work when, as happens these days, each new family of CPUs requires its own, unique socket and support chips, and hence, a new motherboard.

2. bpfh

The follow on socket A wasn't too bad, taking a whole slew of AMD processors from 650mhz to 1.7 gig. I must have ran 3 cpu upgrades on the same box when I was young and thin, without having to think about dumping the lot and rebuilding a whole new system...

I've not upgraded in a long times, and this last decade or so, upgrades have been so far apart I've needed the faster CPU but also a new motherboard and new RAM. Back in the day, faster CPUs commonly went in the same socket on the same board and you just changed some jumpers to match the new required clockspeed, often for two or three sequential upgrades, before needing a new motherboard, let alone new RAM.

I get the sense that AMD outlasted Intel in terms of how many times you could upgrade a CPU before needing a new and different motherboard with a new and different socket, as well as new RAM. Maybe because the AMD model didn't rely on selling motherboards as an income stream. Intel, of course, have sold motherboards for a long time, so having every new iteration require a new socket helped that bottom line more than it did AMD. Am I being cynical?

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Yes, but that's a positive career trait. ;)

2. quxinot

Slot 1 (and the physically idential slot A), and Slot 2 were only really useful for dirty jokes.

Socket A was clearly the nicest of the ZIF types, though. :)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's your least favorite? I think the DIP-40 was the best processor socket in history! Bent pin? No problem, just bend it back with your fingers. Broken pin? A bit of stiff wire and solder and you're good to go. None of this fragile surface mount crap, thru holes everywhere! No PCB? No problem! Just wrap wire around the pins. Best of all most of those chips are still good today! Maybe a few caps need to be replaced, but somebody with a soldering iron and basic soldering skills can fix it.

1. TheFifth

Exactly what I was going to say. Give me a 40 pin DIP and a Z80 any day. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Z80????? Luxury!!!

We had Intel 8080's

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge

Flat address space.

For PDP-11 fans, the 68k

2. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Z80 uber alles.

3. herman

It is only real electronics if it uses a vacuum tube. https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-11-greatest-vacuum-tubes-youve-never-heard-of

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

"It is only real electronics if it uses a vacuum tube."

Funny you should mention that. I picked up a brand new set of 4 6V6GTA's at a thrift store today. $4 for all. I'm contemplating a bulk purchase of the Edison recorded wax cylinders they have at $4ea. I forgot to ask about the price on the metal soprano clarinet, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the time rebuilding it.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

I've always been suspicious of metal woodwind.

Something about it seems ... wrong.

Or, in the case of James Galway's flutes, expensive.

"metal soprano clarinet"

Soprano sax?

2. Stoneshop
              Boffin

With nixies (pandicon!), pixies, E1Ts or nimo's for data output.

4. Herby

Sorry M6800's are the way to go!

Then there was the 64 pin M68000 (1 inch centers!).

1. Zack Mollusc

Old kit was big and clunky, but 1 inch centres seems a little eccessive.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It depends on which sort. If you used a decent one (turned-pin?) that used a circular piece of metal then it was fine.

If on the other hand it was one of these (disclaimer - lunchtime and just picked the first one that matched)

https://www.modellingelectronics.co.uk/products/dil-ic-sockets/

they were bad when the contacts got a bit bent and didn't make contact - and you had to remove the IC to visually check the pins

And "thermal creep". Probably one of the most common fixes on a failed PC back then was pushing all the socketed chips firmly back in their sockets. And there might well be 36 DIL chips in sockets if the motherboard was fully loaded with an ENTIRE ONE MEGABYTE or RAM!!! Possibly many more on an ISA card if there was an EMS or EMM RAM expansion card in it. Or RAM on a SCSI card.

2. deadlockvictim

You can't beat ZIF sockets for ease of upgrade.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. TRT Silver badge

It's a hard question to answer... I can tell you there's a very long list of my LEAST favourite types of "processor socket" - top of which is that one Dell uses for some of its daughter boards that seems to rely on a couple of aligning "punches" about 0.2mm away from the contact pins, that mates blind using the force of a lever press mounted on some very, very flimsy punched steel razor blade-like vertical risers. Costs around £700 a pop and it's only after you fit it that you realise the dip switches that you need to set to enable the CPU1 riser are located under the metalwork of the component you've just added, meaning that you have to unmount it again in order to flip them, which inevitably results in the punches crushing the edge of the socket and ruining both the daughter board and the £2400 motherboard.

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

ah, the HR other shoe scenario

Interview all you like, we already have a candidate! We just wanted you to feel like you're part of the process! Damn HR!

1. Kubla Cant

Re: ah, the HR other shoe scenario

We just wanted you to feel like you're part of the process

Especially galling when you have no interest in the process and think it's a complete waste of time.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Dangerous to involve the BOfH in any sort of "process", as there's a strong possibility that he might take the word "process" a bit too literally, and assume you are talking about some sort of industrial process, possibly one involving a meat grinder.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Or some sort of a vat of acid, not the kind the hippies like either...

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Or, possibly a WHOLE vat of the type hippies do like. I can imagine the BOfH having a go at some home-brew IPCRESS on a troublesome manager.

2. bpfh

I think "trippy" can have several connotations too. Especially when the stairway door is open and the fire ax is missing from its "break in case of emergency" box...

2. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Boffin

For graduates of Bovine University.

6. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Stonkingly good episode

Some absolutely beautifully crafted detail

" – including a bloke with a cassette tape library of birdcall recordings."

or

"... his 12 years in the holistic hemp oil industry not helping him much with that question."

Genius, sheers genius

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Stonkingly good episode

To be fair, it's probably just real life™ that has served Simon such candidates up.

1. An_Old_Dog Silver badge
        Facepalm

Sorting through a pile of resumes submitted to our computer shop, the one I remember to this day read, "Seeking air-conditioned employment."

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
          Mushroom

There will be a story behind that.

2. Totally not a Cylon
          Paris Hilton

Hmmm, sounds like they were involved when a 'Major Pharmaceutical company' rolled out XP.....

Porta cabins in the car park in summer!

Paris because bikinis would have been appropriate office wear!

7. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

And again

""Perhaps we could ask some questions that would be directly related to the role?" one of the HR blokes suggests.

"Sure, sure," I say. "If you woke up in a shallow grave in a forestry setting with a lump on your head, would you tell anyone? Asking for a friend."

And thus died another keyboard.

But I think sadly our beloved(and feared) BOFH has made a great mistake involving himself with the HR dept(also known as the department of people who were useless at everything else so they're giving this a go)

We all know HR is just a good way for senior manglement to deflect blame for whatever PHB they've hired now on the basis of a CV and a interview consisting of doing trick dancing.

Unless..... and unless our BOFH has a cunning(and evil) plan for HR to fail....... watch this space.....

1. Coastal cutie

Re: And again

Knowing how the BOFH's mind works, I suspect there is a very cunning and very evil plan underlying this, probably involving amongst other things, emails thought to be deleted and footage (with audio) from carefully placed cameras in the HR offices. All the better to capture naughty goings on by HR staff, exploiting their power to fire and hire.

Re: And again

Don't forget the recording from last week. That means he has HR where he wants them. A shame the boss couldn't come to some kind of arrangement with him after that episode. Maybe once you've got the dirt on HR who needs the boss?

8. Dark Eagle

Out of all these...

I would have hired that x-baker. At least he made some effort with real pies.

1. Vulch

Re: Out of all these...

Would probably know which side his bread was buttered as well...

1. l8gravely
        Headmaster

He probably kneaded the job the most too...

He should make plenty of dough out of it.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

He could definitely FILL the role...

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
              Pint

Certainly he's of the upper crust of the candidates.

Baked offerings would ensure prompt 100% attendence.

1. DJO Silver badge

Baked offerings would ensure prompt 100% attendence.

That rather depends on the reason for him no longer being employed as a baker.

1. Ken Shabby
                  Flame

Perhaps he was going against the grain and his business ended up toast.

Coat

On the other hand, he may rise to the occasion and prove his worth, unless he;s a crusty old geezer in which he can baguette off. Oh crumbs, I've done it now! Yeast, that's my white coat, thanks.

2. WanderingHaggis

Argh all these half-baked comments leaves me feeling raw.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did go for an interview years ago for a hardware repair job. He picked up a PC main board that had IBM (quick Google search to refresh memory) MCA (Micro Channel Architecture) slots on it and asked "What type is it?" I said that I didn't know, and he patronisingly said that it was MCA.

I said that I knew it was MCA, but he asked what Type, as I knew that MCA came with Type 1, Type 2 sockets....

Didn't get the job

10. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Excellent eppysode, and will get even better with age, like a good wine.

11. ColinPa

He's very quiet

I remember we had a graduate doing a year with us. He was outstanding - but very quiet.

After his year with us we all thought our company should hire him - and he would go far. A few weeks later my manager called me in and said the graduate didn't get through the HR interview, did we still want him - I said yes!

My manager escalated HR who came back and said "he was very quiet", and didn't have the social skills they thought every one should have. We replied that Einstein was a bit quiet - eventually HR approved him.

Some one in a different company said that HR pre vetted candidates and wanted people who ticked all of the boxes in their template. This meant that all of the technically brilliant people who may lack some of the social skills were excluded, and so they got technically average people (which my friend turned down as not being good enough)

1. Caver_Dave Silver badge

Re: He's very quiet

I had a friend who wrote a job spec based on my CV. His manager turned me down on the basis that he couldn't find me on LinkedIn - nothing to do with my abiities!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You can't find me on LinkedIn either. Given that my work is privacy it rather proves the point :).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I accidentally got hold of the rejected CVs for the IT mnager role, and the third one had 'this is the one' so thickly oozing out from between the lines that I had to know why HR gave that a no. Apparently this person "would not fit into the culture".

We got him back in and he got the job there and then. Even stayed there for 6 years.

"I accidentally got hold of the rejected CVs"

Good work!

2. ske1fr

That kind of culture should be treated with an organisational antibiotic.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But quite common. "Team player", "a good fit" all are keywords that far too often actually mean "introverts or anyone even slightly on the spectrum need not apply".

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

'Round 'Ere they are code for: "We are only hiring some flunked-out relatives of ours but we still have to advertise the position and perform an objective recruiting process".

12. Ian Johnston Silver badge

https://27bslash6.com/interviews.html

1. Ozan

At work, no one knows how many kids I have or who I am married to. That is the advice I gave to the youngsters.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Huh, I worked with you for how many years and I didn't know you had a wife. "

"And my wife doesn't know I have a job. I like to keep my personal and professional life separate."

1. Flightmode

Go watch Severance. The basic premise is basically this scenario, but replace "wife" with "other self".

I've got two episodes left of season one, and it's one of the weirdest (in a good way) shows I've seen.

2. Martin M

Clearly you didn’t have a three year old during lockdown. *Many* unscheduled appearances during meetings!

1. Stoneshop

Indeed not.

Like Michael Jackson[0] I prefer at least twelve year olds, and restrict those to outside office hours.

[0] No, the other one.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Don't most places like to have contact details for next-of-kin in case you meet an unfortunate accident at work? Like riding a unicycle down the stairwell, or falling from a 5th story window that was accidentally left open?

2. herman

Have you ever considered growing your own cabbage? - Pity I haven’t seen these interview questions years ago. It would have been very handy.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

This is a website that could cost me a lot of time....

Thanks.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

I'm rather past the "could" part already. What a find, right before the weekend..

:)

13. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Great...

Thanks - now I've got that song in my head...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyqe8n-pbqQ

Shame about the former boss. He seemed almost awake enough to know to keep his head down and run in a zig-zag pattern.

14. Blackjack Silver badge

Unfortunately the baker brought cookies for everyone and they triggered every food related allergy ever.

15. earl grey
    Pint

thank you

cheers

16. Luiz Abdala
    Coat

I'm quite partial to the AM4 socket...

...but that´s me.

I'm agnostic to enterprise sockets, but thanks for asking!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like