back to article UK govt considers invoking national security in Arm IPO saga

The UK government is upping the ante in attempts to have Arm listed on the London stock exchange, with reports suggesting it is considering the threat of national security laws to force the issue with owner SoftBank. According to the Financial Times, the British administration is considering whether to apply the National …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

British chips for British people

Hopefully it will cause foreigners to reconsider their dependence on ARM for their own national security

2. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

It's all window dressing

These chair polishers couldn't invent anything themselves. It's not a British company any more. The idea that this is some kind of national security thing (unless Arm is full of GCHQ backdoors) is nonsense.

Re: It's all window dressing

>The idea that this is some kind of national security thing

Wait till 3 year olds find out about this option.

I wanna ice cream........

You can't have an ice cream until you've eaten your dinner

I need an ice cream ... because of national security

OK, here you are

2. Woodnag

So now ARM is suddenly a national treasure?

UK gov didn't give a toss when SoftBank bought it.

All SoftBank have to do is move the HQ from Cambs to USA first, then sell it.

Just posturing.

1. adam 40 Silver badge
        Thumb Down

Re: So now ARM is suddenly a national treasure?

It all started going downhill here when they cancelled the Cambridge Beer Festival. Again.

Now ARM is moving everything to the USA.

What next? University of Cambridge moving to Massachusetts?

1. Gannet
          Coat

Re: So now ARM is suddenly a national treasure?

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is already in Cambridge so fair exchange... Although technically Harvard is also Cambridge University :-/

3. iron Silver badge

Tell me you don't want investment in your country without telling me you don't want investment in your country.

Could Boris make us any less attractive for business?

A company founded by a European immigrant to take advantage of a publicly funded BBC educational initiative and a chip designed by a trans-women?

No that's the Tory dream

1. Woodnag

Nope

Acorn was around before the BBC Micro (System One, Atom...) and Sophie is an exceptional engineer.

4. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Fish and Chips

This is so patently stupid what they do I have no words.

If you want to keep someone by force, it will never end up well. You will build resentment and the person is still going to leave.

Why not build an economy where the business could thrive? For instance better laws for freelancing (scrapping IR35), lower taxes, scrapping business rates and so on.

If we lose ARM, it does not mean something better couldn't be build, but not in this low wage high tax economy.

Government vision of small business is a caffe, hairdresser or a bakery, everything else should be outsourced to China. There is nothing for a chip plant seed to grow.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Fish and Chips

Ah but they want to show some Brexit dividend, even if it is done by forcing them to be listed in the UK on the back of bogus national security claims.

2. bazza Silver badge

Building up an economy isn't the issue. Softbank paid too much for a business with ARM's business model, and can't do anything about changing that model, or the prices or the market size (though that's growing through natural selection anyway).

1. 3arn0wl

It does seem like Softbank didn't do their homework on Arm - did they not know the ROI was going to be 'relatively' low because of RnD costs?

And I do wonder if Softbank aren't being a little greedy too - I wouldn't mind $2-3B arriving in my bank account every year!

I think Softbank could change the business model. They could put the ISA into a foundation, and companies could pay a fee to the foundation to use the ISA, which would cover RnD. Then Arm itself could be freed to become a design company, and go after the funding for doing what they want to do.

(It will be interesting to see if Qualcomm's suggestion of a consortium will be acceptable to the World's governors.)

3. Warm Braw

Why not build an economy where the business could thrive

Without commenting on your specific recipe, there is increasing concern amongst the grown-ups that Britain has abandoned any pretence of having a strategy on anything: the economy, food, transport, energy, health, education are all being left to rot and they only get any attention if they can be exploited to highlight a "wedge" issue that will merit a Daily Mail headline. There is simply no will to engage with reality.

Add to that the constant threats to overthrow agreed trading relationships and the pernicious effect is a stark decline in investment in the UK because the business environment is chaotically unstable.

The country (after all it voted multiple times for this outcome) has deliberately created an economy in which business cannot thrive and neither of the two principal political parties are prepared to acknowledge this. Until they do, we'll see increasingly desperate attempts at distraction that will simply make things worse.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Brexit

Boris should take all that money that Brexit saved the UK and maybe they should just buy Arm.

What? No Brexit dividend?

Nevermind.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: Brexit

He's struggling to pay for the fuel for is Brexit Bus. Well, not him personally - paying out of one's pocket is for the little people

6. KalaDude

"If Arm lists on the Nasdaq or the Dow Jones there is a requirement to move the HQ to the USA," the source told us.

Don't listen to this source in the future as they are wrong on both counts. NASDAQ has no such requirement. Dow Jones is not an exchange where companies are listed, it is a calculated index of 30 US based stocks. Even if ARM were based in the US it would probably a year or 2 before it might be included in the index.

7. 3arn0wl

After 40 years of selling off the national silver.

After 40 years of "Let the markets decide". It seems that that's okay until we don't like what the market decides. :/

Note that, for all the hand wringing, the government is still not concerned enough to buy arm (as Hauser encouraged them to). Perhaps it's the right decision : perhaps Tim Cook's announcement in 2020 was Arm's zenith, what with Arm's neutrality in question and the rise of RISC-V... perhaps it's all down hill from here for them - not a popular thought here, I'd guess.

I agree with others here that Arm isn't a security concern (save GCHQ having a back door that none of us know about).

I don't think it's of strategic national interest either. There are ISA alternatives.

It's just reflected kudos in the design of an ISA which borrowed heavily on the work done by universities in the USA. A design which only became popular off the back of a successful American company.

8. Andy The Hat Silver badge

The obvious question is ...

What is the national security question?

As ARM is already owned by "foreign nationals" we (UK Govt) have no control over its output so silicon security isn't the issue. The only "national interest" I can see is the tax/profits made by the Stock Exchange which line the pockets of the very rich ... oh, I think I just answered my own question.

9. Howard Sway Silver badge

considering the threat of national security laws to force the issue

That'll be fun when the US government asks why the UK considers a listing for a UK based company on their stock exchange to be a threat to Britain's national security.

I mean, it's embarrassing for the government in that it shows how their casual stupidity has let a successful company go, but that's only a threat to the current government's popularity, and despite the way they behave as if their party interest and the national interest are one and the same thing, I think we'll be far more secure in many ways once the current crop of imbeciles are voted out.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: considering the threat of national security laws to force the issue

I'm sure most of us would agree, but whom to replace them with? Let's face it, none of the options much improvement.

I suppose kicking the current morons to the kerb would be a good start, though. At least give benefit of the doubt to whatever replacement gets in.

10. JimmyPage Silver badge

(Yet) another lunatic action

the UK has to take to show Brexit is working. If the UK was still in the EU, this would have been a done deal.

11. IGotOut Silver badge

So in 10 years time...

..... they will moaning that C4 is owned by Johnny Foreigner and it should come back to the UK?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bots ? look no further

I find the high downvote/low comment ration on certain topics fascinating. It tells me where Putin is paying the most.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like