back to article Yodel becomes the latest victim of a cyber 'incident'

Delivery company Yodel has found itself the latest victim of a cyber "incident" that has disrupted services. Rooted firmly to the bottom of the table of best and worst courier firms by consumer campaigner Which? Yodel has gained popularity and, perhaps, a bit of notoriety in recent years as consumers turned to courier …

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

"a reminder of the importance of both robust defences and a robust recovery plan"

Plus a mechanism for learning from incidents so they don't recur. In over two decades of consulting I've never seen a DR plan that explicitly required (or even formally provided for) such learning for the future. They've all just stopped at bringing the organisation back to normal this time round.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: "a reminder of the importance of both robust defences and a robust recovery plan"

A very good point.

2. KittenHuffer Silver badge

With apologies to Luther!

To dream the impossible dream

To fight the unbeatable foe

To bear with unbearable sorrow

And to run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong

And to love pure and chaste from afar

To try when your arms are to weary

To trace the untraceable parcel

This is my quest

To follow that parcel

Ooh, no matter how hopeless

No matter how far

To fight for the right

Without question or pause

To be willing to march, march into hell

For that heavenly cause

And I know

If I'll only be true

To this glorious quest

That my heart

Will lie peaceful and calm

When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this

Oh, that one man, scorned and covered with scars

Still strong with his last ounce of courage

To trace the untraceable, the untraceable

The untraceable parcel

Yeah, and I'll always dream

The impossible dream

Yes, and I'll trace

The untraceable parcel

3. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Around the clock

So they apparently working around the clock, but shouldn't they be working around their laptops at very least?

4. Korev Silver badge
    Gimp

Yodel has gained popularity and, perhaps, a bit of notoriety in recent years as consumers turned to courier companies rather than venture into physical stores.

Aren't the consumers the companies selling the tat rather than the people (hopefully) getting the goods?

Icon because end-consumers have little choice -->

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Yes. The sellers are the consumers of Yodal services. The buyers rarely, if ever, get a choice in which delivery method is used. I have, in the past, cancelled my order at the online checkout when presented with Yodal as the only delivery option.

One one experience with them was ordering a TV. I paid extra for next day delivery. It turned up after 5 days, having sat on the other side of the country in a depot in Liverpool for 4 days. Their excuse? It takes two people to delivery something that heavy!. Well, duh! Don't accept next day consignments if you can't delivery them on time! My phone call to the supplier ended up as a three-way with the Yodal rep. Both apologised and I got the extra money back I'd paid for the next day delivery with a confirmed delivery data. I should have asked for more since 5 days was even outside the so-called "normal" delivery duration. On the plus side, the driver did knock at the and deliver it as agreed and didn't throw it over the fence, or put a card in the door and run away.

5. sitta_europea Silver badge

I usually tell suppliers that if they want to use Yodel I'll buy it from someone else.

1. Oldgroaner
      Flame

Twice recently I have Yodel lie about failed delivery and leaving a card - at a time when I was at home and had my front door under observation. When the packages eventually arrived (after several days, not 48 hours) the plants they contained were dead. I've told the firms concerned they'll have no more orders from me until they change their courier.

In the meantime I wish Yodel as much cyberhavoc as possible.

2. Danny 14

same here. they are atrocious to deal with.

6. ssssssssssssssssssssss

I'm assuming with the yodel website that when you try to go to a page it's delivered three days later to the someone else's browser?

7. Totally not a Cylon
    Megaphone

One of the better ones

Now I've got your attention....

In the area where I live Yodel is one of the better courier companies.

But then we also get good service from RoyalMail and BT.....

Whereas Amazon think they can turn up at 23:00hrs and UPS think it's clever to deliver to a farm 5 miles away as a 'green alternative'.........

1. Muscleguy

Re: One of the better ones

Then you should have chosen a delivery site you frequent more often so you can retrieve your parcel while shopping etc. Our local Coop has both an Amazon locker stack at the back and takes parcel deliveries from some firms too. My next pair of shoes should turn up there.

Paypal has acknowledged the transaction but the site has not. Last pair my size . . .

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: One of the better ones

"Our local Coop has both an Amazon locker stack at the back and takes parcel deliveries from some firms too. My next pair of shoes should turn up there."

That'll be handy for the walk home :-)

8. Ball boy Silver badge
    Coat

A fix? It's in the post...

They had already ordered new, high-security kit - but unfortunately, they're still awaiting its delivery.

In other news, there's a fish and chip shop about three miles from them who have a load of switching gear that they don't remember requesting....

9. Andy Non Silver badge

So this must mean

that deliveries to the wrong address will be slower than usual.

10. G R Goslin

It rather beggars belief...

...why anyone would pick Jodel for delivery. But then, the customer does not select the courier. This is a function of the supplier, who goes for the cheapest, and easiest. It is, however the customer who pays. Double in this case. The price for delivery is buried in the purchase price, and the uncertainty of delivery, timely, or even ever, is bourne by the customer. I recently suffered from Jodell's terrible service, waiting a whole week, for the parcel to leave the local depot. They were terrible before the re-badging, and even woese, now.

1. ICL1900-G3

Re: It rather beggars belief...

Jodel made very nice light aircraft. Yodel, however...

2. TheMeerkat

Re: It rather beggars belief...

Yodel is definitely not the worst. Compared, say, with UPS they seem OK.

11. Warm Braw

Our Customer Service team are currently unavailable

Does that mean the problem has been fixed?

1. Commswonk

Re: Our Customer Service team are currently unavailable

Does that mean the problem has been fixed?

No, it means they cannot use the English language properly; "team" is singular, so the sentence should read

Our Customer Service team is currently unavailable

12. simmondp

Guess its being going on at least three days

Delivery expected via Yodel, not made it out of Reading yet!

18 Jun 2022, 4:14am, Arrived At Depot, READING SERVICE CENTRE

13. Jedit Silver badge
    Angel

So, Yodel are immune to cyber attacks?

I mean, the attack literally took days to notice because the disrupted services weren't sufficiently different from the normal services.

This reminds me of the time many years ago when Apple put out an ad bragging that while thousands of viruses existed for PCs there were next to none for Macs. A virus creator responded with an open letter saying "Yes, it's hard to create viruses for Macs - the market share is so small that they don't propagate effectively".

1. Muscleguy
      Boffin

Re: So, Yodel are immune to cyber attacks?

Back in the Noughties the lab had a communal Mac which ran rather slowly. I had cause to put my Zip disc in it. When I put it back in my Mac tower (I installed the Zip drive personally) I got a notice that it had acquired a virus. The first time that precaution had ever found something. I put an antivirus program on a CD and scanned the offending machine. It was absolutely riddled with nvir.

It had no effect other than slowing the machine. Disinfecting it sped it up considerably.

2. short a sandwich
      Facepalm

Re: So, Yodel are immune to cyber attacks?

Missing packets in large numbers is their MO surely?

14. I can't believe its not butter
    Meh

"We are servicing customers"

I would suggest they service customers in the same way a bull services a cow.

As delivery firms go, they really are crap.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lets hope the attackers don't check who owns them..

Being owned by a pair of Billionaire brothers might not help Yodel when it comes to negotiating any ransom price, if that is the attack type.

Not sure what has been going on at Yodel, they used to be great round here, but in the last few months we get parcels days late, fraudulent delivery claims (Yodel themselves had to admit photo and GPS data showed they'd not been within miles of our house) and Yodel staff submitting change of delivery day/address on parcels so they can deliver late.

One company we use a lot are investigating the issues with them now and have switched our deliveries to ParcelForce who thankfully are on a good phase!

1. Oldgroaner

Re: Lets hope the attackers don't check who owns them..

One of the brothers is dead and the other is facing the prospect of time inside. Karma.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A person has died, and you call that Karma? For late or non deliveries? Words fail me.

Cheers... Ishy

1. Oldgroaner

They also own the Daily Telegraph. So yes, Karma.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

You might want to look at their behaviour first before judging that comment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_and_Frederick_Barclay#Sark_and_Brecqhou_disputes

16. KarMann Silver badge
    Trollface

That's a change

"Yodel has experienced a cyber incident that has caused some disruption. We are servicing customers…"
    So, they have changed their operations in response, then?

17. AnotherName

I've had them deliver to a house several streets away - slightly similarly named road but different postcode - and leaving the packages on the front doorstep there before letting me know they'd been delivered to my home. I had to go out and find them and cart them back (heavy items).

On another occasion they told me that two items were delivered even though only one was handed over and signed for. I had to use CCTV to show the driver arriving at the door with only one parcel before they admitted the error and delivered the second item a couple of days later.

As mentioned earlier, if they are the delivery option, don't shop there.

18. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Yodel at the bottom of the list?

They must be sharing it with Hermes then.

1. Muscleguy

Re: Yodel at the bottom of the list?

Our Evri (they have been renamed) deliveries are excellent. Parcel Force aren’t bad either. Today’s PF parcel was in my paper recycling bin as indicated on the note through the door. Evri do that too. Advantage of Co’s keeping the same people on the routes so they know the houses.

19. Slabfondler

No issues here, but oddly...

Received a delivery on time Monday from them, then a email from the supplier on Tuesday saying they were unsure when it would be delivered due to issues with Yodel, then an email this morning telling me it had been delivered.

20. Jim Whitaker
    Mushroom

Broken?

Yodel broken? - How on Earth could they tell?

21. mark l 2 Silver badge

I was waiting for a Yodel parcel and since their tracking wasn't working I had no idea whether it was going to come that day or not so decided to go out and do some work out at the back of my house and enjoy the sunshine. I missed the Yodel driver ringing the door bell but thankfully my neighbour was home and took in the parcel for me.

But no calling card was left to inform me that they had delivered it to a neighbour the the online tracking says its still at the depot, so if I was an unscrupulous type I could just claim it never arrived and get my money back from the merchant. So I expect there will be a lot of missing parcel claims from this cyber incident.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like