back to article US must adopt USB-C charging standard like EU, senators urge

The US could implement a law similar to the EU's universal charger mandate if a trio of Senate Democrats get their way. In a letter [PDF] to Commerce secretary Gina Raimondo, two of Massachusetts' senators Ed Markey and Elizabeth Warren, along with Bernie Sanders (I-VT), say a proliferation of charging standards has created a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nah, it won't get through to law before the Republicans take over again and undo everything they started trying to do. After all, Apple and Google pay an AWFUL LOT of "campaign contributions" to protect their business models.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

It's an ideal law.

Team-A can say that are battling climate change and e-waste while helping the consumer

Team-B can say they are veto-ing oppresive government interference in the free market

Nothing changes and everyone wins

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Can't wait for the typical Apple no response response.

1. innominatus

You're charging it wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

USB-C connectors suck

This is all crazy as both female and male USB-C connectors are utter shit. The first reversible USB incarnation and everyone assumes it must be great. These legislators must be the same people that buy a new phone every year, thus they also buy a new USB-C port yearly.

The charging standard should _NOT_ be tied to the data connection, but with USB-C it is. I'd rather have a hacked up 3.5mm connector that also charges.

USB-C is extremely convenient, but it has the half life of an emergency candle.

I understand people want a standard and they want it to be easy, but USB-C will be a mistake.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: USB-C connectors suck

I agree, that standard is going to cause grief if not associated with some sort of mandatory minimum MTBF of the connectors.

I work a lot with newer Lenovo laptops and, unlike a Macbook where all USB-C connectors support everything so you have a backup if something breaks, they only have one USB-C connector which supports PD, so that's where the dock cable gets inserted. Guess which port causes motherboards to be replaced often (that, and repeated excavation of fluff for the less tidy amongst the users - God knows how they manage that).

I also lost count of just how many people lose their cables - the journey between their homes and the office must by now been pretty much strews with abandoned USB-C cables.

Don't get me wrong, USB-C is quite a bit better than having a gazillion of different cables cables, but you then also have to account for the fact that one cable/socket thus aggregates the wear and tear and risk of all other sockets - the main reason why I bought a Macbook Pro when I switched because it had 4 which all did everything, so plenty backup if one port fails.

Lenovo proved me right on that front, and I personally think they ought to follow Apple's example. Ditto for the docks: if you provide two USB-C sockets of which only one supports PD, the probbility of users using the wrong port and then generate support calls when they eventually run out of power is pretty much 100%.

Digressing slightly, there are also fun gotchas in the USB-C power implementation which are worth mentioning.

If you have a low battery, inserting a power supply will cancel that detection so you don't get whinged at while the battery already recharging. Here's the fun part: you can connect a power supply which has less capacity than the device actually needs. This causes the device to draw the remainder of what it needs from the battery, slowly draining it but without warning you - and the low battery warning is disabled because you have power connected.

Eventually, the battery runs out and the device will go dark. Just to scare you some more, naturally it will not immediately power up again because that again goes above the limit of what it needs. Give it 5 minutes and it will boot long enough for you to work out what has happened and get the proper power supply.

There is one more gotcha that you need to be aware of, but I don't know if this is a bug in how Apple implemented USB-C power or a generic flaw in machines that have more than one PD capable port: it latches on to the first power supply it sees, even if you connect another one later that's more powerful (which, by the way, it clearly CAN detect as it's shown in the hardware system report). So, to avoid that, FIRST insert whatever supplies the power you need, THEN anything else like a screen that also supplies USB-C power, but less. Otherwise you will come across the first issue I mentioned..

This has been a public service broadcast. Thank you, and Good Night.

1. S4qFBxkFFg

Informative, thank you.

Is there ever an issue with the "wrong" device charging? I.e. someone plugs a phone into a laptop (cable male USB C both ends) and the laptop starts pulling power from the phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Not to my knowledge - as far as I know, only device that CAN charge signal they're capable of doing so, at which point the whole game of negotiating voltage et al begins.

Your laptop is unlikely to turn vampire on your phone's battery :).

2. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

phones probably have diodes to prevent outbound power via the data/power port.

1. Solviva

That sort of defeats the point of USB-OTG, where the phone powers the (supposedly) low-power device.

3. Solviva

Happened so far twice with Macbook & Samsung S8. Poor S8 didn't know what was happening... switch off in 10%...9%...8%.......

Admittedly twice in many so the chances are small, but it happens.

1. Sam Crawley

Slightly O/T but I never fail to be slightly excited when I plug in my Samsung phones into a USB dock to charge and the whole rig fires up with a full desktop experience... who needs laptops :)

2. hoola Silver badge

The socket failing is usually the lack of decent mechanical strength on the motherboard. As it is used it flexes and the tracks break.

There is no excuse for that. Just make the connectors with a decent physical footprint and fixing to the board. The load-bearing fixing should be unrelated to any electrical connection.

It is not difficult it just needs a bit smarter design, you know like we used to have when connectors were bolted to panels or then bolted to the system boards rather than just soldered.

2. Tom 7

Not sure iPhone/iPad charging cables are any better. We've got a lot of them in the electric recycling bin - dont use them myself. It could be that the youngsters in the place leave things on the floor and tread them but there are 8 genuine Apple jobies and only two USB we've collected in the last 3 years or so. Interestingly you can tell a non-functional cable because the live ones twist and turn and have to be untangled but the dead ones are always the first ones you can pull out!

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

You must be a gorilla, the connector on the 3 year old Samsung S10 I'm typing this on is absolutely fine

1. Solviva

5 year old S8 here, 100% reliable USB-C port.

4. Piro Silver badge

It really doesn't matter at this point, there's no point inventing a new connector right now.

It would be harmful to come with a new connection when there are so many cables and chargers out there.

2. Len
      Happy

Don't worry, that's where the Brussels Effect comes in. Device manufacturers prefer to make as few different models as possible to reach as many markets as possible so models in the US will just get USB-C around the same time, regardless of whether American law requires it.

The only manufacturers that might be evading this are the ones that don't plan to sell any devices in the EU anyway. But for them mass production, harmonised production processes, and economies of scale will probably make USB-C the cheapest or simplest option.

The same thing happened with the 2009 EU push to stop using proprietary phone chargers. It only officially applies in the EU but you'll struggle to find proprietary phones chargers anywhere nowadays as the impact was global.

1. Irony Deficient

Device manufacturers prefer to make as few different models as possible …

… to reach as many markets as possible so models in the US will just get USB-C around the same time, regardless of whether American law requires it.

That does tend to be their preference, but when iPhones with dual nano-SIM support were produced for the Chinese, Hong Kong, and Macao markets starting in 2018, other world markets didn’t receive the opportunity to also sell those models.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

why the focus on cables? standardising Batteries would save planet more

...including electric vechicles.

With standard sizes and hot-swap fuel cells the charging/range problem can be solved by repurposing current petrol stations. Pump the excess wind-generated juice to them for chanrging the flat batteries - bingo we have energy storage silos.

i did suggest to the EU whatsit (pre Brexit) that it should look into creating standard batteries sizes/capacities (it's been done before). Recevied generic responses.

Vendors creating different (physical) sized batteries every device iteration is driving obsolesence.

3. KSM-AZ

"Apple and Google pay an AWFUL LOT of "campaign contributions" to protect their business models."

Mostly to Democratic canidates, but hey it sounds plausible.

4. EricB123 Bronze badge

Why would anyone downvote this? The USA has moved completely past a "pro-business" stance and is now in "screw the consumer" phase

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

There is confusion indeed

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy A3.

So do I.

Yet, because her model is a year before mine, she doesn't have the same connector.

I will readily admit that I am fed up with these shenanigans. I have been forced (business reasons) to use a mobile phone since 2006, and not a single one has come without a specific charger and cable.

If you want to plug a desktop PC, on the other hand, the same cable has been in use for the past twenty years.

Stop the insanity.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There is confusion indeed

I do beg to differ Sir!

For the desktops/laptops I have there are 3 possibilities;

1: 2 pin "figure of 8" (acer laptop adapter)

2: 3 pin clover leaf plug (lenovolaptop adapter)

3: IEC C13/15 (kettle lead) (desktops/servers with builtin psu)

Similarly for external powered drives any of the 3 options could be needed.

So at least 3 different leads potentially required in my household (UK).

1. Giles C Silver badge

I use all of those, 2 laptops with cloverleaf, 2 monitors and 2 printers with C14. A figure of 8 (C8) on the Mac mini. Usb mini-A powering a usb hub. Old raspberry pi micro usb, somewhere there is an external drive with a jack connector.

I have lost count of the number of laptop power leads I have had over the years, HP barrel adaptors (2 types) Lenovo usb-c, macbook MagSafe and probably a few more.

Running behind my tv I have C8s, hard wired cables, C13 etc.

To be honest phones are just an easy target. The rest of the market has so many variations that it is impossible to keep track of.

2. Falmari Silver badge
        Coat

@joe bloggs 6 "3: IEC C13/15 (kettle lead) (desktops/servers with builtin psu)"

Only a wimpy C13/15 Only C21 is good enough for my desktop. ;)

2. martinusher Silver badge

No confusion. Before USB-C the Chinese had standardized on Micro USB which cleared a lot of the clutter. Now we have USB-C they're switching everything to USB-C. It just takes time to permeate and there's also the usual "Too Big To Go With The Crowd" holdouts.

Its possible to have a connector that's both USB-C and Micro USB. It won't do all the fancy things USB-C does but its adequate for low rate charging and simple I/O.

3. Flip

De-duplication?

I'm not sure about the need for de-duplicating similar chargers. If I have two devices that both need charging, I need two chargers, and it doesn't really matter if they are the same connector style or not. The only advantage I see would be when retiring an older device it might be possible to re-use the older charger with a newer device, assuming that they have the same power requirements.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: De-duplication?

I have about 20 devices that need charging. Not all at the same time. But it would be nice if I could use the same charger for all of them.

If I can use the same charger for my hair straighteners and one of my mice (USB-C), then why can't I use it for everything? Why do I have to juggle between 7 different types of charger?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Profit?

I agree, which is why I switched to USB-C with all its adaptor foibles. I now travel with ONE power supply which has one USB-A and two USB-C ports, and it provides me with everything I need, and one adaptor which gives me 4K 60Hz HDMI, 1Gb networking and a USB3 capable USB-A socket. It seriously reduced travel weight, and it speeds setting up in a hotel room or client office by quite a bit.

The only search was to find an adaptor I liked - to me, the LEDs on the RJ45 jack are not optional, and not hitting 60Hz in 4K mode is not really future proofing things - I like my gear to last a few years.

1. Solviva

The only (minor) disadvantage there is should your single charger get damaged/lost whilst on travels... That's all your devices without a charger. Admittedly the fact it's a USB-C charger means you should be able pick a replacement up almost anywhere.

For redundancy, travel with a USB-C equipped partner :)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I shall start searching immediately for a partner that fits in my suitcase..

2. Justthefacts Silver badge

No, that’s exactly the point. You *can’t* use your hair-straightener USB-C charger for your smartphone. Or rather: you can plug it in, and it will charge, but really slowly, probably not efficiently, and quite likely long-term killing your battery life. And none of this is marked in any way on the charger. The consumer is clueless about what they are signed up to.

The USB-C spec is *so complicated* (over 800 pages), that not even the manufacturers of your hair-straightener charger would have an earthly clue of the difference. But it’s there, and it’s massive. The charger can (and if proprietary designed, does) take into account *everything* in the unique characteristics of the target battery.

The USB-C charger can read the battery chemistry, temperature, country of manufacture, manufacturer ID of target device. It’s expected to *download from the internet* a firmware device driver of the optimum charging profile, if it doesn’t have it. Yes, really. Because the spec was designed to be either full proprietary shipped with the device, or on a laptop port charging your device.

The USB-C spec is insane. And it’s nothing like the “universal non-proprietary wall wart” that you think you’ve been sold.

https://www.usb.org/document-library/usb-power-delivery

1. Justthefacts Silver badge

To give an idea of just how bonkers USB-C has become, in its design-by-committee-every-stakeholder-must-be-appeased, here are some functions now included in your *wall-wart*:

#1 Firmware Update. That’s right, your electric plug now gets firmware updates. Which means that wall-wart malware is now a thing. Turn your Office Nemesis electric plug into an untraceable device-specific-zapper they’ll never suspect. Months of schadenfreude fun.

#2 Talking about malware…..you know how you shouldn’t plug untrusted USB devices into your laptop? Well, congratulations, now *every charging point is an untrusted USB host*! Hurrah! You too can recharge your laptop in the coffee-shop helpfully-configured as a USB-C socket, and get pwned.

#3 Authentication hashing. Yes indeed. Your home electric plug now needs to be able to compute crypto hashes to power a toothbrush. Sigh. Digicert 128bit, if you’re interested.

#4 Are you a National Security Agency who wants the ability to insert functionality into *the electric plug* to either - a) trace every single device in your country, since it has to be charged at a plug quite regularly, or b) Something even More Evil?

“The Country Specific Data field Shall contain content defined by and formatted in a manner determined by an official agency of the country indicated in the Country Code field.”

#5 Have you ever thought to yourself - my laptop is nearly run out of charge for a client presentation, but my electric toothbrush and vibrator both still have charge, so why can’t I plug both of those into the laptop to back power it at the instant it runs out, seamlessly, using the power of both simultaneously? You have? You’re in luck! USB-C has a *specific* and highly complex bus protocol designed just for you!

It’s an electric plug. FFS.

1. Justthefacts Silver badge

Ah, downvoters…..I’ll just leave this link here.

https://hackerwarehouse.com/product/usb-ninja-cable/

2. KSM-AZ

-- "It’s an electric plug. FFS."

No it's not. It's a Universal Serial Bus, that happens to have power on it to power remote devices. Always has since 1.0 5v at up to .25a. Just because the spec allows for everything, does not mean that the 100W PD brick you bought would implement anything beyond the charging conversation. And the arguments here about malware are borderline silly. If you use a USB-C hub with HDMI and ethernet they have to have drivers and such on both ends. I have updated firmware on a number of USB-C docking stations. I doubt that would be implemented on a power brick

USB is a BUS with some evolving standards around power distribution on the bus. You know like the power definitions on a PCI bus, or any other similar computer bus. We are talking about standardizing the connector around the USB-C connector spec. Just as the Micro-USB slowly became a 5V/2A "standard" for small device power and charging because it was ubiquitous so will USB-C supplant it being backwards compatible with tiny adaptors, while allowing for drastically more power. Arguing the esoteric's of a specification is just wasteful. We are already seeing stable ASIC's that just work, and the price premium for it dropping.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Just as the Micro-USB slowly became a 5V/2A "standard" for small device power

Not with some of the micro-USB cables that I have seen. 2A would melt them, undetected because there's no signalling in micro USB other than detecting short circuits. 1A is IMHO about the max you should ever shunt through an unknown micro USB cable, I'd have my doubts and a fat insurance before I would go beyond 1A.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The USB-C spec is *so complicated* (over 800 pages), that not even the manufacturers of your hair-straightener charger would have an earthly clue of the difference."

I beg to differ. The designer of the hair-straightener charger might not know the difference, but I guarantee the manufacturer knows exactly what is in the spec and, likewise, knows exactly what parts they can leave out yet still hit the design specs and make a few more pennies of profit.

Splitting hairs, I know, but those manufacturers in east Asia are all about "optimizations" of their manufacturing process.

3. KSM-AZ

The market will make USB-C the standard without gummit' intervention. You don't have to carry around 20 different chargers today. Not so true 5 years or so ago. Further, the arguments are somewhat silly. First of all power requirements are basically much higher for the average device today. You can hop on amazon and buy some Usb-C to micro usb charge adapters for around US$5 in a 5 pak with a little chain you can clip around the cable. I don't think there are any non-apple mobile devices today that dont use UsB-C. For the handful of things that still use micro-usb the adapters work just fine (Samsung smart watch wireless charger for example).

Most of the current crop of inexpensive charging blocks are shipping with at least a mix of USB-A and C connectors and support PD. The last piece of the puzzle is PD on the laptop side. Dumping 100watts over the #28 and lighter wire, means the voltage has to go up to compensate for the lack of current. Assuming around 3A on #28 you should be pushing close to 35v to get 100W, without the wire melting. 'PD' aka Power Delivery protocols is what makes this possible.

Finally I have noted improvements in the physical connectors on both the male and female side. The last few cables i got seem to be much more 'snug' and secure when pressed in. YMMV

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>I'm not sure about the need for de-duplicating similar chargers. If I have two devices that both need charging

So you don't have and never had two mobile devices, otherwise you would appreciate the problems with charging.

Yes the problem doesn't tend to apply to laptops as we've got used to keeping their cable and power brick in the laptop bag and they are difficult to mistake with a phone charger.

Every night I have at least four mobile devices to be charged: 2x phones (USB-C), 2x ipads (Lightning)

To facilitate correct cable usage for charging (ie. select correct cable for device first time), I've had to standardise both cable colour and length ie. phones use 30cm black cable, ipads 80cm white cable.

Naturally having four devices, it become much simpler to invest in a couple of 5~6 port charging bricks rather than having a 6 or 8 -way multiplug etc.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The only advantage I see would be when retiring an older device it might be possible to re-use the older charger with a newer device, assuming that they have the same power requirements."

That's part of the reasoning behind the EU directive. They told the manufacturers years ago to sort things out and if unable to do so, then legislation would be introduced. They didn't, and now the rules have been forced on them in a way that it's hoped will make phone chargers optional when buying a phone since most people will already have a good, working and compatible charger thus reducing the manufacturing costs, the wast and the numbers of "spare" chargers sitting around peoples home and offices.

4. hoola Silver badge

The new issue is that some chargers now have USB-C on the outlet instead of the good old fat USB. That I don't understand. It does not make the charger any smaller and you still end up with the problem where you go somewhere (our offices are a good example) where there is a mix of chargers with USB & USB-C outlets. If you have a laptop that is supplied with a charger that has a USB-C cable it is usually captive so you STILL need a cable if you don't have the dedicated charger.

The HP business laptops have been pretty consistent with their interchangeable docking stations for some time now. There may be different powers etc but you can pretty much plug anything HP in and it will work.

The only issue I have found on the slim USB-c dock is that some of the non-business class devices don't respond to the power switch.

4. ITS Retired

I have been collecting adapter cables and adapters for years. Both cables and actual adapters for different types of plugs. I can and do adapt USB2 chargers on USB3 devices and vice versa.

And the old wall warts? I have a drawer full. If working, I never throw any away. Saves a lot of time and frustration.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have been junking a lot - I have a friend who hangs on to everything and despite having taken out two full vans worth of gear he managed to fill it up again to the point you can barely walk there. I *like* my space.

Enjoy this one then: https://www.gocomics.com/junk-drawer/2022/06/11

2. Brad16800
      Mushroom

I do hoard my old cables as well.... Just you can never find the one you need when you need it!

5. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

I miss ...

... my iGo charger with interchangeable tips.

Actually, I still have the charger with a selection of tips (mini-USB, micro-USB plus some proprietary Dell and Lenovo laptop tips). I can piggyback a second tip off the charger and charge two different devices at the same time. From 120 Vac, 240 Vac, a 12 Vdc automotive "cigarette lighter" plug or an aircraft dc plug. But when they got out of the phone/laptop power biz, the supply of tips started to dry up. And newer formats were never developed.

They had a great bright blue LED indicator light as well. Guaranteed to keep you wide awake in a hotel room all night.

1. Mayday
      Flame

Re: I miss ...

“ They had a great bright blue LED indicator light as well. Guaranteed to keep you wide awake in a hotel room all night.”

I hate that. On everything. This is what a $3 roll of insulation tape over the charging light fixes. Leaving the laptop lid shut, phone/iPad etc face down helps too.

1. Filippo Silver badge

I once had a DSL router with a power-on LED so fucking bright that, even though it was in the next room over, enough light would bounce through a little window above the dividing door to illuminate my bedroom. If you wandered in the corridor at night, it would be painful to look at. When I covered the fucker with dark tape, the tape became painfully hot, and in summer it melted. I was seriously considering opening up the router and severing the wire, but it was provider-supplied (and a very, very dumb arrangement, now thankfully defunct, where other routers wouldn't work properly).

I guess a sturdier tape could have worked, but in the end, I just turned it against the wall. The light that bounced on the wall, and then through the little window, was still visible in the bedroom, but at least it was no longer annoying.

I wish I met the designer just to force him to have that idiocy on his nightstand for a month or two.

1. hoola Silver badge

Similar here, A StarTech USB switch that has a blue LED light so bright you can almost read by it. Why?

The my hearing aids, there is a green light on the charger that plugs into the wall, a green light on the little case then the devices themselves have a light that flashes from red through to sold green when it eventually is charged. I know I need to see if it is charging but it does not have to illuminate the room!

It is as though manufacturers see the brightest possible LEDs as meaning "better".

1. Fred Daggy Silver badge

I believe that is the "Spinal Tap" design school. As in, "one of England's loudest bands". Also, see "this goes all the way to 11".

2. dvd

I've got a roll of little yellow round stickers that I got from a stationary shop years ago. I use them exclusively for sticking over those godawful blue LEDs. It dims them and turns the light a much more pleasant green shade. Really, you'd think that industrial designers would have gotten the message by now.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

" Really, you'd think that industrial designers would have gotten the message by now."

Judging by my experience of industrial designers , a lot of them use crayons because they're not allowed anywhere a computer(or anything else they can dribble on)

Then again I've used 3 USB leads.... 1 power one for the dashcam, and 2 phone ones linked to the computer

Everything else, the chargers and the other USB leads.... still in the packaging and dumped in my draw of e-waste in the back room

6. YetAnotherXyzzy

I fail to see why busybodies in either Brussels, Washington, or elsewhere need to get involved. I buy the tech in my home, and for years now I have not considered a phone unless it used USB-C. It's not like such devices are rare or overpriced. I didn't and don't need a nanny state to establish a single charger and cable standard for my household.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

And the piles iof e-waste from manufacturers bundling cheap disposable walwarts don't affect you cos they end up in rivets in China

1. A Nother Handle
        Facepalm

Recycling them to make rivets sounds ok. Did you mean rivers?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"And the piles iof e-waste from manufacturers bundling cheap disposable walwarts don't affect you cos they end up in rivets in China"

Are USB-C chargers less environmentally damaging than micro-USB or proprietary chargers? I mean, what real difference would it make if this law passes and suddenly all that comes out of China is USB-C chargers? Honestly, I'd say it will probably get worse because then the proportion of crap-made USB-C chargers with a short lifespan will go up because the Chinese factories will be stamping them out as fast as their machines can make them, whereas now, at least some of the chargers are having to hit higher custom specs from the designers/integrators, so may be better built.

2. Filippo Silver badge

If it's just your household, then well done, but it's not a standard.

If we're talking more than just your household, it's pretty obvious that yes, we do need a nanny state to establish a single charger, and no, the invisible hand of the market doesn't seem interested in fixing the issue.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

yes, we do need a nanny state to establish a single charger

Then what? It'll be obvious that the people only really need one type of phone, upgraded only every 5 years, that'll be even better for the environment. One network will make 100% coverage easier, and one tariff will be much easier for everyone to understand. Oh look, it'll be just like the 1950s GPO.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Standards to help the consumer don't imply monopolies. Or, to go with your dislike of standard plugs, should we allow manufactures a choice of how to connect to the mains supply too? Buying a new gadget? Oh sorry sir, you'll need an expensive adaptor or to have your house rewired. Yes sir, this washing machine needs 3 phase power and that TV runs off 120VDC. Should we go back to pre-1947 when there were multiple different round pin plugs? Or earlier when plugs were not even standardised and different towns and cities had different electrical systems?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Most of those changes weren't mandated by governments, but defined by the industries concerned.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Maybe not where you are, but plugs and mains power were standardise by government in the UK. The National Grid came into existence in 1926 by Act of Parliament, the old style round pin plugs in 1927 and then the current standardised main plugs in 1947. All were lead by Government with industry co-operation. Industry itself did not initiate national standards other than possibly individual companies with an intention of gaining a monopoly by growing large enough to take over or beat down the competition over a much longer timescale.

1. bigtimehustler

True, and the same problem will no doubt apply. The plugs are much bigger than some other designs, but we are stuck with them.

2. KSM-AZ

You beat me to it. IEC and IEEE et al.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Those *define* standards. *Mandating* their use however is something that only governments can do.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I buy the tech in my home, and for years now I have not considered a phone unless it used USB-C"

And that's what Brussels said to the manufactures some years ago in attempt to at least halve the amount of charger e-waste. They didn't listen so instead of coming up with their own ideas to cut waste, something was forced on them. They had a choice.

7. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

This is a pretty large pile of "nothingburger", because nobody seriously disagrees.

The "gosh, Apple must comply" reaction is especially gibberish, because... https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MHJA3AM/A/20w-usb-c-power-adapter

They already do.

Yes, not every Apple device uses Type-C yet, but the iPads and MacBooks do, so only a fool would believe that they aren't moving everything in that direction (and who wants a USB 2.0 speed interface when then could have a USB 3.2 one?)

8. Gene Cash Silver badge

USB Charging-only are an abomination unto Nuggan

There's been more than a few times I've wondered why the damn USB cable doesn't work, only to find out it's a "charging-only" cable and is missing the data lines. Usually the big tipoff is that it's super thin, so at least it doesn't mess up my dykes when I clip it in half and throw it in the trash.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: USB Charging-only are an abomination unto Nuggan

I absolutely agree, but would have upvoted you even if I didn't, purely for the "abomination unto Nuggan" reference. File them alongside shirts with six buttons, cats, the colour blue and oysters, I guess?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: USB Charging-only are an abomination unto Nuggan

This was the actual reason Apple started with the Lightening connector. They were about to throw over 1A over a cable, and they could not risk that someone would use one of these feebly thin cables for charging and have it melt. Ergo, a cable with a chip that told the charger what it was capable of, and a reversible connector so you didn't have to check which way you plugged it in.

You see both ideas return in USB-C: reversible connector, and a chip inside to tell the power end of the cable what it's capable of.

9. Trotts36

Absolute bollocks

Considering the amount of perfectly working windows pcs that end up in landfill ever year due to sloppy lazy coding, spiralling memory usage, horrific patches from Microsoft crippling performance… a mess of cables seems very small fry..

1. Sandgrounder
      WTF?

Re: Absolute bollocks

"perfectly working windows"

3 words I never expected to see together.

10. bsdnazz

Domestically, I've been moving my family over to USB-C because for normal, dull, household use it's simply very convenient. With mesh Wi-Fi in the house the main thing we use device ports for is charging so all the funny UBS-C data speeds/standards are of little concern.

Most of our cables are UBS-A to USB-C now because we have powered USB-A hubs on our desks, most of the wall wart chargers are UBS-A and the car charging ports are all USB-A.

The car will be the last hold out for USB-A because that won't change until we change the car.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The car will be the last hold out for USB-A because that won't change until we change the car.

You may want to wait a bit then if that's a criterium, because some new ones still come with USB-A. It's changing though, thankfully.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hopefully Tesla will follow suit and standardize on USB-C too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yaaay - Light Emitting Cables!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Tesla-1 Charging.

487 hours and 17 minutes until fully charged."

11. Elledan

Yet Another Cable

The pre-micro-USB era of mobile devices was pretty rough, there's no denying that. Hunting down a Nokia, Motorola, 30-pin Apple or Sony-Ericsson charger depending on the device was just infuriating. Voltages from chargers were all different. Now it's all USB-something, though the charging voltages are a complete mess between QC, USB-PD and heavens know what other proprietary 'quick charging' protocols exist.

In my opinion the original 'unified charger' law was already sufficient, as it reduced an insane number of proprietary connectors to just two: USB (micro/C) and Apple's Lightning. Meanwhile, however, the possibility of you using a random phone charger for anything more than trickle charging your phone at 2.1A (or less) is low, as things like Quick Charge (Qualcomm) are proprietary protocols, with USB-PD not nearly as established as people may think.

Heck, even a basic USB 'charge only' outlet is already cursed, as the after-the-fact USB-IF standard of shorting the data lines to indicate a charging-only USB connector was already preceded by a number of competing Apple, Samsung, etc. 'standards' that use things like resistor values to indicate charger capacities, among other things. This is why Apple devices have always disliked drawing power from anything but an Apple-blessed charger.

In short, the whole 'it must be USB-C' move is basically pretty dumb, as the market already did that, and even Apple is already headed that way, after previously ditching Lightning on its iPads. Specifying 'USB' as the physical interface is good enough, but where things are still a complete hellscape is with the countless incompatible charging standards.

Will it be USB-PD, even though it's a complete nightmare to implement? Something else? Why is it so hard to get anything standardised here?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yet Another Cable

This is why Apple devices have always disliked drawing power from anything but an Apple-blessed charger.

Not my experience. My Macbook is quite happy with a Lenovo USB-C power supply and vice versa, the Lenovo's I tried it with had no problem using USB-C power from an Apple PSU.

It appears that standard may even work ..

12. SnOOpy168

I am embracing this news as the New Hope. I still have a toolbox full of old cables for my ancient devices (read iPad 2, and until recently Galaxy Tab 2).

Not that it matters anything to me these days of wireless connection.

<USB-C>

Transfer speeds up to 40Gbps.

Native power support for 100W/3A and up to 240W/5A.

Supports USB Power Delivery for fast charging.

<Lightning>

Transfer speeds up to 480Mbps.

Native power support for 12W/2.4A.

But the declutter of my table, of the different charging cables. And the sharing of common accessories.

Those days of many Nokia chargers on the table were a good reminder that the mandarins took so long to make it a law. Yup, I threw away many nokia chargers that are working but no longer any phone to use with.

13. RUMoron

Typical demoncrats. They want to control your every moment from birth to death. Time to remove as many as possible from public office at the earliest elections. Government needs to fork off. Let the market place determine what it wants. You cannot have innovation if there is no allowance for diversity and a reason to improve and change. I am surprised they haven't tried to pass a law that you cannot marry someone of your own race in an effort to homogenize the human race. Time to kick these morons to the curb and move on. Thank goodness we have the Bill of Rights. Enough of the imbeciles.

14. codejunky Silver badge

Hmm

"In a letter [PDF] to Commerce secretary Gina Raimondo, two of Massachusetts' senators Ed Markey and Elizabeth Warren, along with Bernie Sanders (I-VT)"

Warren and Sanders... by that point I guessed it would be a bad idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm

Very much how your posts are viewed? Hmm?

15. Jedit Silver badge
    Boffin

"This, he added, could speed transfer and charging rates."

Is this not a straight up admission from an Apple analyst that Lightning is an inferior spec to USB-C in every regard of performance?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like