back to article Thunderbird is coming to Android – in K-9 Mail form

The cross platform email client Thunderbird is to launch an Android version, which will be based on the existing K-9 app. A month after Thunderbird's product manager, Ryan Lee Sipes, tweeted that a mobile version of the email client was "coming soon", the project has announced how it will do it. It has acquired the FOSS …

1. Joe W Silver badge

Lightweight?

Will the result still be as small? Let's hope so...

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Lightweight?

K-9 mail went through an update in July 2021 that made it an absolute POS, and the reviews since then reflect that. The GUI made it awful for navigating multiple accounts, which K-9 mail was excellent at. A huge contingent of K-9 mail users left it or, like myself, reverted to K-9 mail v5.600 and are holding there while evaluating alternatives. But K-9 mail in it's present form is awful. A perfect example of how not to do software.

1. Marjolica

I use K9 as my mail client on android on my phone and tablet.

I use evolution as my mail client on my PC. It's footprint is much smaller than Thunderbird and offers contacts and calendar integration with google, which I use on android. So K9-Thunderbird integration isn't of much interest to me.

All three devices sync incoming mail perfectly but then I run my own postfix mail server.

I also don't have any issues with the 2021 K9 update: I still have a unified inbox over my 3 mail accounts, though it tends to be a bit slow to refresh, and, of course, I can still see all three individual IMAP accounts.

The only major features I miss in K9 is an ability to print emails, that I have to dig in the headers to view sender email addresses rather than just sender names and that I can't just swipe to mark any spam that gets through my server spam filters as spam (and update my Bayesian classifier).

2. Snake Silver badge

Re: K-9 fail

With respect, may I ask for a better explanation of your position? I am rather new to K-9 (only about 6 months) and find the interface rather "industry standard" in terms of "Integrated Inbox" and drop-down menus to access individual accounts.

Note that this does not mean that it is perfect, UI quirks abound: why is Read/Unread simply an envelope icon without obvious functionality? Why can't I swipe to delete, rather than hold-tap / check selections / tap delete / confirm? Why, if you delete an incoming email from the app first, the notification's Delete / dismiss option is broken?

I personally find K-9's UI simply toes the line to a somewhat 'standardized' interface that is the equivalent paradigm on many other mail clients.

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
          FAIL

Re: K-9 fail Snake

Not everyone wants an Integrated Inbox. v5.6 & earlier, if you turned the Integrated Inbox off, the top level showed each inbox separately with the number of unread emails so you could assess the Inbox situation at a glance. After v5.6, if you have the Integrated Inbox off, you have to poke a few times to gain the same info you had with V5.6 & earlier at a glance. A perfect example of a code monkey not understanding how the product is used. When the user base complained, they were given a big FO.

Again, read the post v5.6 reviews. There's a reason there are almost as many 1 star reviews as 5 star reviews.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9&hl=en_US&gl=US

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: K-9 fail Snake

Thank you for the clarification, I believe an option to turn off The Integrated Inbox, for those who do not like it, should indeed have remained an option. For me the integration makes things easier, a one-stop view of all my unread emails in a single point - delete, read, or skip. It doesn't make sense for me to have to flip through different accounts just to make sure I haven't missed any recent receipts, it makes sense on a small screen.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: K-9 fail

You need to try Aquamail - I think it will do what you want,

3. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Try Aquamail. Insanely customisable, and in my opinion, even better than K9 was even back in the day

2. Alumoi Silver badge
    Mushroom

Oh, crap. The only usable android e-mail client and they had to mess with it.

1. steelpillow Silver badge

I rather hope the reverse. K-9 is already feeding back into Thunderbird by forcing the sync issue. Maybe that won't be the only influence for the better.

FWIW I have long used tb on my desktop and K-9 on my phone.

1. Pomgolian

Me too. If nothing else, maybe K9 will gain the ability to authenticate with oAuth2, which is required by Gmail these days. I had to remove my Gmail account because the failure warnings got too annoying and frequent.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

> I had to remove my Gmail account because the failure warnings got too annoying and frequent.

Strange, I have K9 poll my Gmail address (I only have because of my Android account) daily, and never had a problem, except when for some reason I didn't poll it for several months. The exception you can set up in your Google account runs out after a given time of inactivity (some months apparently?), but if you keep using it regularly it just keeps working. At least it does for me, I access all my Gmail mails (rare Google stuff) using K9.

2. heyrick Silver badge

Set up an app password? That's what I have done for my two email accounts (as K9 looks like the gold standard of email clients compared to the bloody GMail app).

Aquamail works fine with gmail I prefer it to K9 too

2. blackbat

I used K-9 for years but then needed Gmail authentication so switched to Bluemail. I've been very happy since, and have found it a good alternative to K-9, but will check out the new TB/K9 client when it's released.

1. Alumoi Silver badge

Erm, I have 2 gmail accounts working without a problem with K-9. What gmail authentication were you having problems with?

1. blackbat

OAUTH2 - at the time Google were about to force it on legacy G-Suite users in a few months time so I jumped ship before I was pushed

1. Alumoi Silver badge

That's the problem, then: G-suite. I don't use it so maybe that's why I don't have any problems.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

Have you seen Aquamail? I always thought it was better than K9-Mail

3. Roj Blake Silver badge

/e/

I switched to /e/ a few months back, and the mail client isn't too bad apart from the lack of swipe to delete which is really annoying.

1. Greybearded old scrote Silver badge

Re: /e/

What does it mean, delete? This is 21st century, you know?

1. sreynolds

Mey I switched to mutt over 25 years ago. It still works today.

Again with the century. It's time that the primitive artefacts of typewriters (monospaced fonts, that is) got left behind.

If I didn't have to work with people who use spaces for alignment (let alone syntax!) I'd even use proportional fonts in my code editor.

1. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

When I write code it is exclusively in monospace type (my current font du jour is Courier Prime). When I send that to somebody as a code snippet in email, I want it formatted exactly as I typed it. I don't understand why you would ever want proportional fonts in code.

1. heyrick Silver badge

I'm still hoping to find an Android client that supports proper inline quoting, not just dumping the entire quoted message at the top or bottom.

This is, actually, something that iOS just did nicely and without fuss.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
                1. heyrick Silver badge

Aqua Mail

Hmm, a monthly subscription plan (billed as €30 per year).

Thanks, but...

1. Terry 6 Silver badge
                    Megaphone

Re: Aqua Mail

There's an interesting aspect to that. £30 doesn't sound too much for a programme. But paying that every year, as a subscription. No.

I want software that is like a politician. Once it's bought it stays bought.

This is often the problem with free versions. I have the free version of various programmes. I'd happily pay a few quid for a slightly better version. But I'll be damned if I'll pay it over and over again every month for eternity. So I stay on the free versions.

All I want in these circumstance is to have a bit of extra something-or-other. Not for it to be all singing all dancing. Like a Proton mail client that allows me to import my other email accounts. But not the other bits particularly, and certainly not for 4 quid a month.. Every month, forever.

Over the next 20 years* that's going to be around 1000 quid. 1000 quid For an email client. When I can perfectly well use the free version of this, or even get the little bit of functionality I want but don't need from FOSS.

*If I should live so long.

Unhappy

Heyrick, Terry, apologies for that - and I agree with you both.

I didn't know their pricing model had changed. When I got aquamail a few years ago, it was about 5quid I think, and that was a permanent licence, not a subscription.

£30 a year? No chance in hell!

Interestingly, I still get updates, so they haven't forked the subscription version into a new app.

Sorry for the out-of-date advice.

I just looked further - aquamail used to be owned by MobiSystems, but was spun off in March this year.

It looks like Mobisystems are still offering one off perpetual licenses, though still quite expensive (30 euro)

https://www.mobisystems.com/cart/, though I don't know if it will actually work.

2. John D'oh!

Good luck with distinguishing 0/O, I/l and other similar looking characters.

Whether mono or proportional you can get that same issue. Serifs are your friends here, but rather out of fashion.

BTW while I'm still stuck with the typewriter crap, Go Mono is the prettiest I've met yet.

2. Greybearded old scrote Silver badge

BTW, does Mutt work on Android? That's the original subject after all.

2. Neil Brown

Yes! That annoys me too. And - as far as I can tell - no ability to multi-select-and-then-move-to-chosen-folder.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

1. Tap and hold the first item until highlighted.

2. Tap the rest of the items.

3. Tap the menu button in the top right.

4. Move.

5. Choose folder.

1. Neil Brown

Thanks - sadly, when I tap the menu button top right, the only options I get are "Add star / Spam / Select all", and no "move".

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Odd, I thought /e/'s client was based on K9, why did they need to remove that?

You could try installing K9...

1. petefoth

/e/'s Mail app is a fork of K9. Like all forks, and like /e/'s other forked apps, (Calendar, Message, Notes etc.), it lags behind upstream when it comes to bug fixes and new features. On my /e/ devices, I just install the upstreams. Or I make a custom build with the upstreams in place of the forks.

4. Grunchy Silver badge

I always assumed that if Firefox + Thunderbird = Seamonkey, I may as well go the simplest route and just use Seamonkey.

Also, I don’t have an Android phone, I only got my iPhone SE 1st gen (the one that works with the original FLIR One, which I am also still rocken. Because what the hell good is any stupid cell phone if it doesn’t have FLIR???)

1. Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Seamonkey *is* built from the same code, yes, but quite an old version. The Gecko engine in Seamonkey is equivalent to Firefox 60, the ESR release from May 2018.

Personally, while I liked and used the Mozilla Internet Suite, I found it problematic to have the email client in the same binary as my web browser.

I leave my email clients open for days or weeks sometimes. I have a lot of email; the result is that the client can take a lot of RAM.

I try to restart browsers regularly, partly because of their fast refresh cycle.

It is more convenient for them to be separate, for me. I can close a memory-hungry browser and switch to another one. If Firefox needs an update, I use Chrome or _vice versa_. If I need all the RAM for a while, I can close my email.

But when they're the same program, I can't. My browser is always using a few gig more RAM than otherwise because it has all those email accounts open. My email client needs to be restarted for every x.y.Z security release.

TBH I don't need an email client that can render HTML. If someone emails me in HTML format only, it's probably not worth reading. All email needs is *bold*, _underline_ and /italics/ and anything else is a waste of bandwidth.

https://useplaintext.email/

But Thunderbird is *THE* best cross-platform FOSS email client, so I use it.

1. Zolko Silver badge

Thunderbird is *THE* best cross-platform FOSS email client

may-be if you really need cross-platform, but if not, then Kmail is *THE* best FOSS email client. Or rather Kontact, which includes Kmail and Korganiser

2. captain veg Silver badge

Re: I don't need an email client that can render HTML

Hallelujah!

I had Eudora on my first (smart)phone. Resolutely plain text only. Brilliant. And it quoted replies properly too. Qualcomm also did a companion text-only web browser at the time. Really useful in those pre-3G days.

> If someone emails me in HTML format only, it's probably not worth reading.

+1 from me.

-A.

5. John D'oh!

I loved K9 for years and still use it, but not the latest version as that is a pile of crap.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

A few years ago K9 became unusable. I switched to FairEmail which is an excellent alternative.

1. tony72

I wouldn't say K9 was unusable, but yeah, I also switched to FairEmail, it's a long way ahead, both functionally and aesthetically.

2. myhandler

Yep Fair Email is excellent, handles multiple accounts no problem, and zero spying

2. John D'oh!

For the benefit of the downvoter(s), let me elaborate...

1. I use the 'More from this sender' option regularly, but it has completely disappeared in the latest version.

2. The menu at the bottom has moved to the top where it is much harder to reach (they may have added an option to move it back down, but 1...)

3. Things that previously took one or 2 presses/swipes take more effort.

It looks nice, but it has lost useful functionality and the user experience is poor compared to version 5.6.

1. John D'oh!

I love how, even when you try to detail the reasons why something doesn't work for you, as objectively as possible, someone still downvotes you. Please enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong?

2. John D'oh!

Complete fail now

My dad also uses K9 on my recommendation. Recently he complained it wasn't sending emails; they would just sit in his outbox and there was no indication of what had gone wrong.

He asked me to take a look so I checked his settings which were 100% correct, enablrd the debug logs (which seem to mostly UI events).

No matter what I tried, it wouldn't send the emails. He has the latest version, thanks to Google Play updating it (even though it was installed from f-droid originally), so I downloaded 5.600 from GitHub and it now works perfectly.

I am starting to question the judgement of the guys at Mozilla tbh.

3. Zolko Silver badge

Aqua Mail

I loved K9 for years

me too, and now I use Aqua Mail. The free version gives you 2 accounts, the paid version unlimited. It's nice looking and very capable, the sort of program that you don't think about using, it "just works".

1. tekHedd

I made the same switch to AquaMail, right before AquaMail made the switch to "sketchy owners." Now I'm back to K9 and feel like I'm rapidly running out of options. I wasn't exactly impressed by "we promise we won't read your email no really."

I don't want *anyone* reading my mail (except the NSA, foreign governments, and major crime syndicates, which apparently we don't get a choice about).

1. Alumoi Silver badge

except the NSA, ... governments, and major crime syndicates

Ever head of pleonasm?

6. therobyouknow

Add SMS Backup+ and MailDroid folder creation please?

Great news!

Hoping for these things too:

SMS Backup+ works very well backing up SMS text messages to a gmail account, once you've set your gmail account to accept "less secure" logins - which you can do temporarily. Taking this under the thunderbird's wing could ensure further support, as well providing backup to email services other than gmail.

MailDroid feature to create IMAP folders to file emails in is handy, some other clients don't have this even though the email provider will support it.

1. logicalextreme

Re: Add SMS Backup+ and MailDroid folder creation please?

Aye, SMS Backup+ has been a fiddly bastard for some time now. For reasons unknown I still haven't got mine running automatically, I have to do manual backups when I remember to.

7. AndrueC Silver badge
    Happy

Interesting, I like K-9 - I've been using it for several years now. One of the few client apps that can survive Android's attempts to put it to sleep.

I'm still on an old version of TB though (60.90.1) because of the Virtual Identity plugin that I rely on which is not compatible with newer versions.

8. binary
    WTF?

Why do I need another app to spy on me?

I use an Android and perfectly happy with Gmail, which works well and seamlessly with my Android, and iPhone before that. Why is Thunderbird necessary/needed? More clutter? Just like the browsers for Android, they all suck so why do need so many of them? They won't all fit where the sun don't shine.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Why do I need another app to spy on me?

Because GMail is awful? Because it seems that Google might be forcing it's awfulness on everybody these days - my newer Android...10? 11? phone no longer has the stock email client. It seems it's been consigned to the dustbin, with nice shiny GMail to be used in its place. Nice shiny GMail now with built in video conferencing. WTF?

1. sreynolds

Does having gmail mean that any advertiser can pretty much read the meta data on your gmail account?

Just wondering how long before the ASOP big standard mail client would start sending off you emails to google for "backup" purposes.

2. John D'oh!

Have you ever tried to look at the headers of an email in Gmail? I don't think it's even possible these days.

Most phishing emails are easy to spot and if you're happy with Google reading all your emails then it does pick up most phishing attempts, but not all, and I HAVE seen the occasional extremely convincing scam email. In K9 at least you can long press and view the headers. That has saved me and my family on at least one occasion.

9. Terry 6 Silver badge

Calendar

Does k-9 have a calendar? I can't see one mentioned.

Will the new TB for Android bring its calendar with?

Currently I have TB on my PCs. And use Outlook.com on my Android phone. The TBSync add-on n the PCs keeps my emails and my calendar in sync And it's the calendar that's the deal breaker.

I still don't get how so many email systems don't have one.

I switched to TB from MS Outlook as soon as it integrated the calendar.

Do other people not have calendar/diary software? Or do the not want it synced across their devices?

Or does every one <shudder> just rely on Google?

1. tekHedd

Etar

I use Etar with DAVx (caldav) and it works beautifully.

I now use google only for a few shared calendars (band etc). Fastmail will bridge to google calendars so that consolidates them nicely into one place.

10. hayzoos

I don't like it

I have accepted the fancied up k9 grudgingly. I just want email, text only. I do not want calendars, swipe to do whatever, gestures, etc. This is the reason why I use claws for the computer. I tried using Thunderbird for a while. Things change dramatically out of nowhere. I prefer the ISO style of date/time format, TB broke that by adopting CLDR and not having a custom format option available for *nix. It got "fixed" after a year or so. The reason *nix did not get custom? No API for custom format. Hmm, *nix locale system uses the oldest and most stable style of API like all POSIX systems do. The users' custom format preference can be queried from the command line or programatically using nearly the same syntax. I guess if it does not use object oriented calls and maybe binary blobs, it is not an API. No problem, I'm sure systemd will provide the service shortly.

Time to start looking for a more basic android email client.

11. humpty

Darn, I just switched over to SeaMonkey

And I'll probably have to switch back to Thunderbird, since I also use K9.

12. therobyouknow

Supported folder depths of Thunderbird differ between mac and PC versions

In my attempt to tame my emails to some kind of organisation, I use nested folders at some depth.

My IMAP email provider supports it, and it works well on Thunderbird on macOS. But on Windows, Thunderbird wont show some sub-sub-folders.

My suspicion is that, internally, Thunderbird is relying on the host OS's filesystem for storing the folders. Windows is more limited than Unix/Linux for folder path length.

Curiously, em Client on Windows doesn't have this same issue with my folder structure, which leads me to think they've chosen a better way to implement handling of subfolder depth and tested this more rigorously.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like