back to article Bletchley Park attracts £300k extra funding

Bletchley Park has attracted a further £300,000 funding after Milton Keynes Council agreed to match English Heritage's pledge to stump extra cash for the "essential backlog of maintenance and urgent repairs needed at the WW2 Codebreaking Centre" - if another organisation could match the figure. Dr Simon Thurley, chief exec of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Newstead

Hurrah!!!!

Fantastic News!

And now we should all pay visits and help swell their coffers. This place is not just another wartime site of interest but actually influenced huge events and helped shaped the world we live in today. I for one would suggest World Heritage Site status for Bletchley!

Andrew Newstead

2. Toastan Buttar
    Thumb Up

Great news !

It's great to see science and technology education and preservation being supported. I hope to visit Bletchley with my family during the summer hols this year, so hopefully we can boost the visitor numbers ever so slightly.

3. Geeks and Lies
    Happy

I live in Milton Keynes :-)

And its nice to see we arte being praised for something for once! i have been to Blethcley Park more times than i can remember and apparently had family posted there way back when! Also it is the home of the computer after all!

4. The Serpent
    Thumb Up

Well done that council

Its probably a drop in the ocean compared to what is actually needed, but at least they have finally shown some interest

5. Yorkshirepudding
    Thumb Up

epic win

another fine nugget of the nations history hopefully preserved for the yoof of tomorrow. bravo MK council

6. muzchap

But!!!

Why the hell haven't the National Lottery helped? Surely this would be a prime example of a place to invest money...

Well done the council for eventually stepping in, but it should never have got this far... £300k is a paltry amount of money that should have come from the Central Government.

Instead of pissing our money away on fking political correctness schemes gone mad - they should be supporting our culture and heritage.

Sooner we adopt the Australian mentality the better!

7. Luis Ogando
    Thumb Up

Fantastic!

Good going, MK Council. I'll definitely be there (again) this Summer!

8. Chris Williams
    Thumb Up

Excellent!

Merely adding my humble voice to the chorus of hurrahs for Milton Keynes council!

9. W

Thumbs up

It's an excellent place to spend an afternoon. The guy who did our tour was teriffic - an excentric old Heinz Wolf type guy as I recall - who managed to make things engaging for the adults and the kids. There's loads to see.

And if they still do it the same way as when I went, then the price of one visit allows you to re-visit as many times as you want over the subsequent 12 months.

10. Andrew Culpeck
    Thumb Up

Wonderfull

At last some sence in the world

11. smudge
    Thumb Up

One ticket lasts a year

Was there just a couple of weeks ago. Massively important site, both historically and technologically.

And yes indeed, for the price of one visit you get a date-stamped ticket which will admit you as many times as you want over the next 12 months.

12. Chris Miller
    Joke

MVYIG KUENY DGTYD

KURFF RTGRV QEWPU NFXVS GPTOK BDMGV MROOB

13. BossHog
    Heart

Bletchley Park is da Bombe

Went there last weekend, and it was completely awesome! Standing in a room with the clattering Colossus made the hairs on my neck stand up. And that was just the static :) And I saw the Holy Grail of Computing, aka Turing's tea mug - still chained to a radiator in Hut 8!

They are desperately short of funding though - the peeling paint and boarded-up windows say it all. Another £10m could see the place as a fantastic interactive museum of computing, codebreaking, and military history - with the Enigma vs Bombe and Lorenz vs Colossus as the centre-pieces.

Plus for some reason they have a Harrier Jumpjet, which is just completely sweet.

14. Martin Silver badge

Erm - sorry to spoil the party...

Isn't this the same as the last set of funding - it's just for the roof of a country house with no historical significance except it was the offices of the officers in charge of the people who did the historically significant work?

So English Heritage automatically preserve any building more than 200 years old but there is no funding for preserving anything to do with computers.

15. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Good but

This is good news but come on £300k is a paltry sum of money for something so important. Round where I live Plymouth City Council has just started a £3.1m project to essentially plant a few trees and install some benches to tart up the run-down side of town. £3.1 million!

16. BossHog

Vote for Bletchley

Vote for Bletchley as the building of which Britain is most proud.

I presume they mean Hut 8 :)

http://www.buildingwithpride.co.uk/

17. PunkTiger
    Heart

Thomas Flowers' 1500 Valves

As an Anglophile American who has yet to visit the UK (I will someday, I vow), Bletchley Park is high on my list of "Places to Visit Before I Die," if only for its historical importance.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Groan

let the shed rot!

This topic is closed for new posts.