back to article Datacenter networks: You'll manage them from the cloud, eventually, claims Cisco

Cisco's Nexus Cloud will eventually allow customers to manage their datacenter networks entirely from the cloud, says the networking giant. The company unveiled the latest addition to its datacenter-focused Nexus portfolio at Cisco Live this week, where the product set got a software-as-a-service (SaaS) revamp. "It's targeted …

1. ecofeco Silver badge

All your base

Are belong to us.

I'm beginning to think people have forgotten the purpose of the PC and local servers.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Meh

Not the first

HPE/Aruba have stated that they intend the control plane for all their networking kit will run in their cloud. Stop paying and your network stops. Nice.

3. Mayday
    Gimp

I don’t like it.

Cisco semi-liker guy here.

I’d prefer that if my on prem kit can get to its management plane at any time. If it sits elsewhere (ie the cloud) and there’s some kind of outage between my place and their place then managing my kit would be problematic. I understand that with similar propositions when connectivity to management is lost then the kit still functions in its last state but you’re unable to make changes. That’s not the point though.

Also, I like having out-of-band management access to all of my gear regardless. You know, through the management Ethernet interface in its own VRF on the back of the switch (or whatever else)? Can’t do that when I need to go in band through the internet or some other link to some VM in cloudland.

4. Piro Silver badge

Neat enough that you can gather your gear in one place and manage it easily

But local management should never, ever be compromised or limited in any way, and no gear should be dependant on an unnecessary external service to continue working.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like