back to article Microsoft forgot to renew the certificate for its Windows Insider subdomain

Microsoft has forgotten to renew the certificate for the web page of its Windows Insider software testing program. Attempting to visit the Windows Insider portal was returning the familiar "Your connection is not private" warning – as if webpages larded with scripts and trackers can truly be called "private." The problem has …

1. Roger 11

Expired certificates are so yesterday.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

apparently have not heard of "LetsEncrypt"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should have just set up a cron job. Much more reliable.

3. druck Silver badge

Utterly unprofessional

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Didn't they let the main domain registration expire once and somebody renewed it for them?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That would have been fun, and then a redirect to linux.org or apple.com, or an FBI seizure style webpage with "This domain has been confiscated for your safety and privacy".

:)

2. DerekCurrie
      Facepalm

"Didn't they let the main domain registration expire once and somebody renewed it for them?"

Yes:

Passport.com Payer Auctioning off $500 MS Check

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Too big to fail?

It seems more like a case of too big to keep everything straight.

It reminds me of my Outlook account which would periodically flag Microsoft emails as junk.

Then again, maybe it was just being honest.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Too big to fail?

My experience was that it failed to flag "Microsoft" emails as junk.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

20 seconds of thought ...

Whenever your in house systems CA issues a cert, an API call is made to the monitoring system that adds that cert to a list to monitor.

Oh silly me, devops don't do monitoring - not cool enough 8)

1. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

Re: 20 seconds of thought ...

Stop telling the truth! They are even too cool to even notify anyone about CERTs, and then blame those who do the monitoring.

2. captain veg Silver badge

Re: not cool enough

Our devops tried to renew a cert for a domain that I had registered specifically so as not to involve them at all. They seemed genuinely confused when their habitual registrar and CA mentioned that it was registered elsewhere.

-A.

3. John Robson Silver badge

Why aren't you directly monitoring the certs presented by all your servers? You do have them all monitored don't you?

1. captain veg Silver badge

I don't, no. I don't need to. There's just the one.

Did you read my post?

-A.

7. Lorribot

I work for a relatively small company but we have a ridiculous number of domains (more than a 1000) and websites and certificates to manage, oddly this falls to a team that is nothing to do with web development or website management at all, got love how organic growth of IT departments mean things end up in weird places. Just getting all our certs and domains in one place was massive piece of work, and then when the great HTTPS everything hit , well cert management is 50% of someones job.

It works pretty well but you can only provide the certs, someone has to schedule in the replacement and actually do it, yes there are automated processes but these don't always work and if someone doesn't notice then....

I would imagine a business like MS renew certs at the rate of 100s if not 1000s a day so the odd one is not not a bad fail rate, who can put thier hand up and say they have fail rate of 0.1% or better?

In a past life I was a betting shop manager, pass rate for the bet settling exam was 98% (money not bets) and that was hard to live up to.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

oddly this falls to a team that is nothing to do with web development or website management at all, got love how organic growth of IT departments mean things end up in weird places

Bingo. I'm sure the guy in charge of the cert got laid off, reorganized, promoted, laterally moved, sacked, dumped, bounced out, canned, axed, eighty-sixed, given the old heave-ho, reshuffled or whatever, and his replacement (if there even is one) had no idea.

I'm sure there's a manager running around with his tail feathers set on fire by senior management, yelling "who's in charge of this? who has the passwords?"

1. Kane
        Alien

"I'm sure the guy in charge of the cert got laid off, reorganized, promoted, laterally moved, sacked, dumped, bounced out, canned, axed, eighty-sixed, given the old heave-ho, reshuffled or whatever"

...without an order, signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters.

8. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Linux

There's always Let's Encrypt.

1. Lon24

Indeed. I have only 300 or so domains to manage. Acme/certbot are jolly good at automatically renewing domains 30 days before expiry. But something can still go wrong - like one of the additional names on the certificate gets moved or dumped so the whole certificate renewal fails leaving 30 days on the old certificate.

I have a simple bash script which reads the file of domains and checks the certificate and flashes up any that have dropped below the 30 day limit.

No time needed for auto-renewal. 60 seconds a week to monitor. 21 days to sort any issue (the bash script is run weekly). No significant resource needed.

Yep, Letsencrypt is not good for everything. But it's good for most and if you have got 1000 domains most will not need the perceived benefits of higher certified domains. Not that the bash script cares who issued the certificate. And if you use Cloudflare with their certificates you need to know they will not fail you.

2. TimMaher Silver badge
      Pint

Certbot

Works all the time. Even with a Nginx server in the way.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Certbot

Yeah, but that was not Made In Borkzillaland.

9. Dwarf

Another foot removed ...

Yet they offer cloud services for certificate lifecycle management.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/key-vault/certificates/overview-renew-certificate

It even says that it does automatic certificate renewal - perhaps someone should let them know.

Muppets.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Another foot removed ...

Microsoft probably isn't on Microsoft's approved suppliers list and it's a pain to do the paperwork to deal with 3rd parties

10. DerekCurrie
    1. An_Old_Dog Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Again, again, again, again?!

... yet M.S. is still pushing SaaS, and companies are still buying it. Reliability and continuity-of-service don't seem to enter into SaaS-buyers' calculations.

1. TimMaher Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: SaaS

Shit as a service?

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: SaaS

Shit as a service?

I wouldn't mind if that were to be discontinued, but it seems unlikely Microsoft will comply.

11. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Windows Insider software testing program

The beancounters prob blocked the expenditure on the basis that there is no such thing as a "testing" budget.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Windows Insider software testing program

either that or they put the payment of cert renewal on a net 30 payment term and issued the renewal bill to AP a week before it was to expire...

12. bigfoot780

Key Manager Plus?

Can MS not just purchase Key Manager Plus from Zoho or similar?

Yes certificate renewal can be a manual job.

I suspect in Microsofts case it may be multiple levels of change control causing missing a expiry date.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Key Manager Plus?

"Can MS not just purchase Key Manager Plus from Zoho or similar?"

Be careful what you wish for and remember what buying software means in Microsoft's way of thinking.

13. dakliegg

When you are your own root CA...

MS maintains their own global root CA. It's not a hard thing to automate securely either. Just someones backlog story and tech debt comming back to haunt them. I often think the world should just go the let's encrypt route so they are forced to implement automation.

1. hoola Silver badge

Re: When you are your own root CA...

Many will have been on the other side of this an developers can be really lazy when it comes to certificates, security or documentation that is external to their project.

Just saying use Let's Encrypt does not solve the problem but just puts a sticking plaster over things. Yes it is great and can save quite a bit of overhead but this then takes us full circle and you are now reliant on a third party.

In this case Microsoft has the tools to deal with it themselves and the reality is that this is simply human error in something being missed or not setup. Sure, it should not have happened and certificates are a pain in the neck to manage with you have thousands but do we really want to end up where the majority of certificates that are manged on the web are using the same tool?

Just because Let's Encrypt is free and run for the Public's benefit now does not mean that it will stay that way. Eyes will be looking as some eagle-eyed corporation spies a source of generating revenue.

14. YetAnotherJoeBlow
    Happy

"Maybe Window's scheduling systems aren't all they are cracked up to be."

Maybe Microsoft is not all they are cracked up to be.

FTFY

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. Colin Bull 1

BT has same problem ?

I had a support call yesterday from a friend who could not access his webmail because he was getting a message that his computer might be compromised. He sent me a screenshot of the error and it was a cert error for xx.btmail.bt.com. When I followed through with Firefox it stated cert expired at midnight Friday. OK today though. Downdetector did not show any particular problem.

17. captain veg Silver badge

er, what?

"In November, 2021, an expired cert [...] prevented Windows users from opening certain apps like the snipping tool."

See title.

-A.

18. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Thousands of employees

You'd think MS would hire one person whose ENTIRE JOB is to do nothing but keep up with the certificates for their sites. Yeah, that may mean they only actually work 20 days a year, the rest of the time it's garbage-can basketball and YouTube videos. But at least it would keep up the facade that MS knows how this stuff works and knows what they're doing, instead of looking like a bunch of bumbling idiots time after time after time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like