back to article Apple offers improved Linux support in macOS Ventura

Apple is extending support for its Rosetta 2 x86-64-to-Arm binary translator to Linux VMs running under the forthcoming macOS 13, codenamed Ventura. The next version of macOS was announced at Apple's World Wide Developer Conference on Monday, and the new release has a number of changes that will be significant to Linux users. …

1. Oh Matron!

Love or hate apple....

You've got to admit, this is really cool.... Especially for those closed source apps....

2. jt_Canuk

Windows on M1 Apple devices

So... what are my current options for running a 32-bit Windows apication on an M1-powered Apple laptop? WILL Bootcamp or Wine accomplish this? Or are we waiting on this future software that, if I understand it correctly, would enable a Windows x86 application to run under Linux hosted by Apple's OS?

I foresee overhead issues, compatibility problems galore. Is this likely do-able? Realistic?

It is actually appealing: there are Windows legacy apps for which there is no Apple replacement.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Windows on M1 Apple devices

Just continue to use Parallels.

2. katrinab Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Windows on M1 Apple devices

You can run an ARM build of Windows in Parallels, though it isn't officially supported and it isn't possible to get a legally licenced copy of it. Microsoft's equivalent of Rosetta will then allow you to run x86 binaries.

Another option might be to run an Intel build of Windows in QEMU.

3. Chris Thomas Alpha

Docker already runs x86_64 images on mac

You don't need special software to do this since docker can already run x86_64 images on my m1max. I'm looking at a list of them right now

1. Wyrdness

Re: Docker already runs x86_64 images on mac

True, but Rosetta is almost certain to be able to run x86 binaries much faster than Docker (which I believe uses QEMU for this).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interestingly I once went for an interview (which I failed, I do very badly in interviews) at the Manchester office of the company that wrote the software that Apple licensed and labelled Rosetta (first time around). The job (support) was described as "if power goes into it, then you'll probably be involved in it", i.e. just the sort of thing I'd have found interesting.

I remember reading up a bit about them and the software - I understood just about enough to realise I didn't have a clue. Perhaps that's why I'm not a programmer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like