back to article Twitter shareholders to vote on Elon Musk's acquisition

Twitter has reportedly thrown its $44 billion buyout by Elon Musk to a shareholder vote, which could take place around late July or early August. Execs told employees of the plans on Wednesday, according to outlets including CNBC and the Financial Times. The move follows reiterations by Musk's camp that he is prepared to walk …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Joke

Rob Peter to Pay Paul

Screw over Tesla shareholders short term to screw over Twitter shareholders long term.

Oh Elon...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All part of Mucky Muck's

plan to rule the world, become POTUS and then head off to Mars (hopefully with Trump and Bezos along for the ride)

He is much like Trump in that everything he does is about his own self-promotion. ME ME and more ME.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: All part of Mucky Muck's

Trump's not going to Mars. He's old and fat, and the walk across the tarmac to the rocket would kill him.

1. Potemkine! Silver badge
          Trollface

So that may be worth the try ^^

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Especially if it's not 100% horizontal. The easiest way to keep him out of any place is to install ramps, and it also has the benefit of providong easier access for disabled people. Win win.

That said, I have no objection against Trump, Musk and others being launched into orbit.

I have more a problem with them coming back..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Bot hurt

It seems like most of Musk's griping comes from him thinking that the 5% bot number is in relation to all Twitter accounts, rather than "monetizable" accounts. Twitter hasn't bothered defining what monetizable means. From what I gather the non-monetizable accounts are the ones that post through the Twitter API rather than the website or app (therefore don't get ads), so that would mean 5% of *those* accounts are bots as opposed to corporate accounts and the like.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bot hurt

No, Musk's griping comes from his need to blame others for his own screwups.

The whole ploy about demanding figures that are impossible to generate, let alone validate with any degree of confidence is about him being able to walk back the deal without paying the penalty for it.

Like his mate Trump, for Musk it's always someone else's fault.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

"In an attempt to break the stalemate, Twitter has agreed to share ever more"

So Twitter executives really want Musk to succeed in his bid - suspect the bid unlocks some fantastic golden payday clauses in their contracts...

1. GreyWolf

Re: "In an attempt to break the stalemate, Twitter has agreed to share ever more"

Oh no, not "golden payday".

The Twitter board is desperate to avoid jail time for lying to the SEC all these many years. Because that is an obvious move for Musk, if the Twitter board don't get their house in order.

Moreover, if the advertisers agree that Twitter is not 95% real people, they will start demanding cuts in the advertising rates. And Twitter's (already dismal) income vanishes.

So either they release the data, or go to jail while Twitter itself dries up and blows away, leaving Mush free to build whatever he wants instead. [and maybe he has already built something .... ]

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: "In an attempt to break the stalemate, Twitter has agreed to share ever more"

>Moreover, if the advertisers agree that Twitter is not 95% real people

The troubling thing is that Musk thinks and therefore based his valuation on Twitter being circa 80% real people...

2. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

From the Twitter 2021 Annual Report:

----

We have performed an internal review of a sample of accounts and estimate that the average of false or spam accounts during the fourth quarter of 2021 represented fewer than 5% of our mDAU during the quarter. The false or spam accounts for a period represents the average of false or spam accounts in the samples during each monthly analysis period during the quarter. In making this determination, we applied significant judgment, so our estimation of false or spam accounts may not accurately represent the actual number of such accounts, and the actual number of false or spam accounts could be higher than we have estimated.

-----

Twitter made it clear that they "applied significant judgment" and that the numbers could be higher. Either Musk did not bother to read the report or in his rush to save "freedom" decided to ignore the weasel words. Either way I think he is on the hook to pay penalties or complete the deal.

4. Howard Sway Silver badge

hey, what's $1 billion to the world's richest man?

It's an embarrassing amount of money to have to pay for acting like an arrogant jerk.

Emerald Boy should have done his homework before slapping the money down, but as he didn't bother this is now going to clog up the courts for years if he thinks his flimsy excuses will get him off the hook for the dosh. And good luck to him ever raising any money again from the markets if he goes that way.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: hey, what's $1 billion to the world's richest man?

"before slapping the money down"

Has he put any money down?

1. MrDamage Silver badge

He has to pony up $1beeeeellion if he walks away, so yes, he put money down as soon as he signed the dotted line on the contract.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

They have to get the billion out of him if he walks away. Consensus seems to be that these disputes are a ploy to lower either the purchase price or the break price. The money's not actually on the table and that makes a difference.

2. Sirius Lee

If he finds the Twitter board has indeed lied about the user base, then he will not have to pay anything. He has to pay if he walks away from a company that has presented a valid prospectus. If the prospectus is materially false then he doesn't pay a cent. This is the same for any type of purchase whether its car, a house or a company.

But if the prospectus does contain falsehoods that are material then $1bn is not going to be the most pressing concern of the board as Uncle Sam will be paying a visit because lying to the SEC is a criminal offence.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Uncle Sam will be paying a visit because lying to the SEC is a criminal offence

Yup, but I don't think it'll be the Twitter board that would have to face the SEC, this could end up being another strike for Musk who seems to think that rules are only for other people.

2. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

In big business like this, there will have been initial discussions. At some point, they will have reached the "to go any further, we need a contract in place - especially non-disclosure agreements". My guess is that the "less than 5% bots" claim came during the early discussions, but when the agreements were signed that would allow detailed discussions the questions started creeping out of the woodwork.

The current phase IS doing what you call "your homework". But it's looking a bit like the teacher was economical with the truth before you signed for your homework pack.

But this talk of a $1b walk away penalty - I can't help wondering how Twitter could enforce that if it were proved that they lied in order to get the initial agreement in place ?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Elon already signed the contract - without doing due diligence. He specifically waived due diligence. He signed and broke the non-disclosure agreement. This is not a normal or even sane big business deal. This is epic scale Dunning Kruger: Musk thinks his ability to sell electric cars and launch rockets means he is better at contract law than Twitter's (and his own) contract lawyers.

Twitter's bot percentage figure is based on a published methodology. The method is reasonable and for all I know was carried out properly. The sample size was low so the resulting figure is not 5±1%, but more like 5% x or ÷ 2. A larger study will probably arrive at a different number but will not be evidence that Twitter lied, only that an inaccurate number was honestly reported. If 5% is demonstrably the wrong number it still does not matter because Musk waived due diligence.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Twitter's bot percentage figure is based on a published methodology"

So are ISP "unlimited data" accounts that get throttled when they pass a threshold - or more prosaically, user counts that include people who've been DEAD for years

Just because it's "published" doesn't make it ethical or "right"

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Irrelevant. That data was accepted when Musk signed the contract, without any due diligence. It's a bit late now to complain about it, but that is, of course, exactly what he's trying to do now.

2. MrDamage Silver badge

>> I can't help wondering how Twitter could enforce that if it were proved that they lied in order to get the initial agreement in place ?

By banning Elon, and adding in a bunch of word to a blacklist, like Tesla, SpaceX, BoringCompany. Neuralink, OpenAI, etc.

His little ego wouldn't be able to handle not being allowed to unleash his brain farts onto his salivating neckbeard fanbois.

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>My guess is that the "less than 5% bots" claim came during the early discussions

Worse, it's in Twitter's financial reports.

So all the poor innocent shareholders, including his muskiness, were all misled by the evil corporation and amid wailing and gnashing of teeth the price will drop and he can buy it for much less than it was worth when he made the offer.

His only downside is the drop in the value of the 9% he bought up front.

Their downside is that unless they can convince a court that they believed, and it was reasonable to believe, the 5% - then they go to club fed.

1. OldCrow 1975

I have read as of yesterday June 9, 2022 that Twitter has at a minimum 20% bots not the 5% Twitter admitted to in their SEC filing.

I am sure Musk sees Twitter as too hot to handle. A 15% mistake in the filing with the SEC will attract an independent audit that Twitter will have no control over. Wouldn't it be delicious if Twitter board members and company executives have to hand over passports in the course of an audit.

Musk will want no part of that.

3. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

$1B is nothing compared to the specific performance clause. If Musk walks away from the deal for any "due diligence" reason (that he signed away) he has to make Twitter investors whole for the money they have "lost" from not being able to sell their stock at $52.40. The obvious way to do that is to sell Tesla stock which will trash its value even faster than it is currently falling.

If you want to evade the consequences of securities fraud on that scale even being Attorney General of Texas will not save you.

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

There's a body of thought that this is a feint to allow him to cash out of tesla without crashing that company's stocks

In which case it's $1billion very well spent

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

They should have asked him for a 10% non-refundable deposit.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Musk signed a 100% specific performance clause. The lawyers are already looking at new yachts and second holiday homes.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Musk probably acted as his own attorney, because no attorney would advise their client to make a $44 billion offer with a specific performance clause while waiving due diligence.

He can afford it, but I would love it if he tried to back out of the deal and ended up having to pay $10 billion to Twitter's shareholders. Anything to take that massive ego down a peg or two would be lovely to see!

1. toffer99

Odd

I find it odd that Musk, merely by being the richest man, inspires hate in so many commentators, here and elsewhere. Perhaps its jealousy for having achieved so much through thirty years of his own efforts. (Cue loud bleating about 'other people's efforts too')

An example of a famous hater: Elizabeth Warren’s Facebook ad campaign against Musk is a great example of this. Senator Warren took out several Facebook ads that positioned Elon Musk as an enemy with the only way to solve the problem is by you giving her $10.

1. Shades

Re: Odd

"merely by being the richest man"

With the amount of heavy lifting the word "merely" is doing there its a shame you can't patent it and licence it to Liebherr.

A douche is a douche whether rich or otherwise.

2. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Odd

I don't have a problem with him because he's rich, I have a problem with him because he's an egomaniacal tool. And I believed that long before the whole Twitter deal, and wouldn't mind in the least if his attempt to buy Twitter resulted in Twitter becoming the next Myspace whether he owns it or it remains publicly traded.

Warren Buffett is rich, and I don't have any criticism of him. Bill Gates is rich, and while there's certainly plenty to criticize about how he got rich, I don't have any criticism of his actions in recent years (I'm not dumb enough to believe the vaccine conspiracy stuff)

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Musk signed a 100% specific performance clause"

That's very different from real money up front.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

His lawyers worded it perfectly though.

He won't pay a penny if Twitter don't hand over the data he's requested.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The problem is that he's demanding something that was not contractually agreed. That's kinda the whole idea of due diligence: you get that data beforehand because you can't go whining afterwards - which is exactly what he is trying to do regardless because he seems to think rules don't apply to him.

He is welcome not to pay a penny, but not only will he end up in court for the next few years with Twitter, the Tesla shareholders are most likely going for damages too..

2. DS999 Silver badge

He won't pay a penny if Twitter don't hand over the data he's requested

That's not true AT ALL. Where do you get such a dumb idea?

He waived due diligence, he can't back out of the deal because they refuse to give him information he needs to perform due diligence.

If he backs out he will not only owe the $1 billion penalty specified in the deal, Twitter will be able to sue him for specific performance - to essentially make up the difference between the share price he was going to buy them out at and the share price Twitter settles when he backs out. A court would probably not enforce the full amount (which could be $20+ billion) but I could see them make him fork over $10 billion or more.

As mentioned, Tesla shareholders would be able to go after him too, as to the extent his reputation is tarnished, the huge share price premium Tesla stock has traded at for years will diminish and cause them great harm. That share price premium is based on belief by enough market participants that Musk will eventually pull a rabbit out of his hat and make Autopilot work, and/or be able to beat the world's automakers and take a model T like share (or at least iPhone like share) of the market.

6. JimmyPage Silver badge

Emperor has no clothes moment ?

If it can be proven that more than 5% of Twitter accounts are dud (and I would be amazed if they weren't) then surely the value of advertising on Twitter (/Facebook/name-a-"social"-platform) nosedives ?

Or to be more precise, why am I paying $x to reach x% of a real audience when it should be $x/(100-fakes)% or something ?

Also I suspect that Twitters heyday is long gone. It has nowhere to grow, and a lot of ground to lose to the Next Big Thing.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Emperor has no clothes moment ?

The definition of "bot" is not black and white.

I used to own a bar/restaurant, which had a Facebook and a Twitter account and the menu advise customers to "like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter" like many such places do. My GM was responsible for posting updates to social media, about upcoming events, specials, new menu items or whatever.

To save time from posting the same thing twice, my GM found a service that would copy posts from Facebook onto Twitter automatically.

So is that a bot, since it wasn't a real person posting on Twitter? Or is that just a way of saving time, because obviously it would not be a bot if my GM took an extra minute to login to Twitter and type the same thing in over again?

I know what Musk would say, because he's trying to inflate the number of bots he can point to hoping to sleaze out of the deal he made.

1. SundogUK Silver badge

Can you sell adverts to that account? No? It's a bot.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Anyone who uses Twitter only to send tweets and doesn't follow anyone / read tweets is a bot by your definition.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"If it can be proven that more than 5% of Twitter accounts are dud (and I would be amazed if they weren't) then surely the value of advertising on Twitter (/Facebook/name-a-"social"-platform) nosedives ?"

There will probably be detailed and onerous arguments and discussion over the number of "5%". IIRC, the sample size was only about 100 accounts and the variation is something like +/-2, the number of "bot" accounts is between 3% and 7%. my feeling is that it most certainly greater than 5%. I can't imagine why Twitter seem incapable of producing a more accurate figure from a much larger sample size. It's not like they don't have access to the data. It's almost as if they went for the small sample size to deliberately muddy the waters.

3. Mike 137 Silver badge

Or maybe an "Oh dear, not actually an emperor after all" moment?

7. innominatus

Elon Musk's acquisition?

Initially I read the headline the wrong way round. As if Twitter were buying Elon Musk. But if they could and then close him down that would be most appreciated.

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: Elon Musk's acquisition?

Well, in a pretty significant $44billion way, they do own his arse.

He knows it and is now trying to skirm out of it.

8. Danny 2

TV Century 21

We're not happy and we're not sad

We're not crazy but we must be mad

There's snakes at the bottom, snakes at the top

And the ladders all shake and the ladders all rock

And everywhere I look I see

a thousand other fools like me

All clamped down on bended knee

with their eyes shut tight but their hands are free

And everyone is fighting blind

Slashing, biting, wasting time

Up to the bottom and down to the top

Where snakes and ladders never stop

And no one asks the question why

We exist by getting by

We keep playing this crazy game

Where snakes and ladders are all the same

But the man at the top has built a stash

A thin white line of other's cash

But all he sees is blue and green

There are no colours in between

We're the puppets, we're the fools

We're the product, we're the tools

Kick us off, knock us down

Keep us spinning round and round

But I'm a cynic, hypocrite

And I rub my own face in it

And I keep playing this crazy game

Where snakes and ladders are all the same

9. sabroni Silver badge
    Unhappy

Would it hurt to mention diligence

and the fact he explicitly waived it when he entered the deal and now is asking for it?

I mean, that's kind of relevant, don't you think, to his demands that they prove stuff?

C'mon el reg, it's "bite the hand" not "lick it".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Would it hurt to mention diligence

Waiving diligence is not the same as there being no agreement.

The contract is quite clear that Twitter need to cooperate with requests for data accurately. He's not going to have to pay a penny if he walks away.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Would it hurt to mention diligence

Not quite. I think it pretty much boils down what each party deems "accurate" and as far as I can tell, Musk is demanding something that is simply impossible to achieve in order to undo the deal.

Personally, I hope it doesn't work because that will only encourage the man child to do this again. And again.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lies, Damned Lies, and Due Diligence

Musk waived due diligence on a deal he entered into carrying the belief that the total number of bot accounts is much greater than 5% of the monetizable user base. One of his expressed goals in acquiring Twitter was to reduce the number of bots.

Musk is now saying that because Twitter claims the number of bots is less than he believed them to be, Twitter must prove that to be true or he walks, because he was misled.

It wasn’t a claim of 5% that led him to sign the deal. It had no material bearing on his thinking - quite the opposite, in fact.

In other words, Musk had a belief, he waived due diligence to investigate that belief, and now he’s saying that unless Twitter proves his belief to be untrue, he accurately (+/-) fooled himself into a purchase and therefore isn’t obligated to see it through.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like