back to article Google has more reasons why it doesn't like antitrust law that affects Google

Google has a fresh list of reasons why it opposes tech antitrust legislation making its way through Congress but, like others who've expressed discontent, the ad giant's complaints leave out mention of portions of the proposed law that address said gripes. The law bill in question is S.2992, the Senate version of the American …

1. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge
    Facepalm

While I applaud the Democrats

for trying to level the playing field between ginormous companies and the rest of us little people, it would take reading the entire bill to know if it really does that. So many Democrat-written bills do the polar opposite of what they claim the bill will do before the vote.

ACA jumps immediately to mind, which had the effect of ruining medical insurance for those who pay for it in order to provide coverage that requires a poor person to spend their entire takehome before insurance pays a dime to those who didn't have it. A cheaper and better solution would have been to require pre-existing condiions to be covered, then use federal taxpayer dollars to buy coverage for the uninsured. While I wouldn't ike my taxes paying someone else's medical insurance, at least it would have cost me less and not ruined my own medical coverage.

Another poorly thought out bill was California regating power costs to consumers without regulating production costs, which resulted in power companies legally hypergouging power production costs on the spot markets, selling the power to consumers at a loss, and hanging the bill for the difference on the taxpayer who was required by law to pay.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: While I applaud the Democrats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrWoG8IckyE

2. Mahhn

Reminds me of the Patriot Act, that removed the right to a hearing of any kind if "suspected" of X. Should have been called the vanishing law.

3. Jonathan Richards 1

> it would take reading the entire bill to know if it really does that.

You make that sound like a Herculean task that nobody should be asked to undertake. At the very least your Senators should have read any Bill that they're invited to vote on. If they're voting on the basis of some sort of executive summary (drafted by whom?) then they're not doing the one thing that they're actually elected for. I suppose maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

1. Mahhn

You are correct, it is normal for them not to read the bills.

As the famous quote goes from Nancy P "we have to pass it to see what's in it"

which really means,,, it's a stool sample.

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge

The only bills they read are the Benjamin's

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Flame

Didn't Pink Floyd say?

Tear down the walls? Google is so big, that good or bad, legislation works for the people... Not FSCK%N google...

3. Warm Braw

Bad actors

Perish the thought that some international megacorporation might find a way to monetise the destruction of your privacy.

4. Snowy Silver badge
    Holmes

So easy to kills laws

If it looks like a law you do not want is going to pass just add a rider to for something many would not agree on and the bill will be dead before you can blink.

For example statehood for Washington DC, looked like that was going to pass a few years ago until a rider was added that would have abolished all gun control.

So to kill this just add a rider that would outlaw all private gun ownership in the US and this will be deader than a very dead thing.

5. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Devil

Professional Jealousy

Hansen also said the bill would require Google to open its platforms to bad actors, which "would inevitably be exploited by foreign companies looking to understand US technical infrastructure, and access data from American businesses and citizens."

That's our job.

6. ecofeco Silver badge

Cry me a river

Tough luck, google.

7. Kev99 Silver badge

I may be wrong but it seems to me that google is more concerned about wiping out Norton, McAfee and others just as mictosoft did to so many of the companies that added functionality to ms-dos and windows. Remember Quarterdeck? Central Point Software?

8. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Goggle

Offers me flight prices, hotels, reminds me of those bookings delivered to my email & phone prior to departure & check in, then the gate number.

Then screams you are trying to sign on from a location we don't recognize & you must verify you are who you say you are in a hotel & city they know you have traveled to & in which hotel.

Paris has more of a clue & as a travel destination.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like