back to article IBM AI boat to commemorate historic US Mayflower voyage finally lands… in Canada

IBM's self-sailing Mayflower Autonomous Ship (MAS) has finally crossed the Atlantic albeit more than a year and a half later than planned. Still, congratulations to the team. That said, MAS missed its target. Instead of arriving in Massachusetts – the US state home to Plymouth Rock where the 17th-century Mayflower landed – the …

1. spuck

Overly complicated?

6 cameras and 50 sensors seems a bit... much.

Obviously I have no idea of the complexity required, but why wouldn't a GPS receiver be sufficient for this task?

Or, if they really wanted to do it like the original Mayflower: how about a compass, a clock, and a high-noon sensor?

1. elDog

I think it said that it was build to avoid obstacles.

AFAIK, GPS and googly-type maps don't yet know about things like icebergs, or large container ships, or even the random kayak.

I'll bet that, in the end, they'll embed some poor software engineer into a small room next to the AI. Can't remember all the names of the beasties back in the prior centuries that were shown to be smallish (can't use another term) people,operating the real stuff.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

Re: I think it said that it was build to avoid obstacles.

Indeed. Also the majority of sensors were from ProMare's science experiments.

IBM's navigation and ProMare's sensors didn't experience any problems.

The problems were all in the boat design which was done by MSubs, an autonomous submarine developer. Unfortunately for the Mayflower, they had little experience in surface ships subject to salty winds and waves.

The article is incorrect in saying that the Mayflower was solar powered - it included solar power, a battery to store power, and a diesel generator for backup power. Hence the need for the switches that failed. Hence, also, for the lack of power to make it to the US.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The article is incorrect in saying that the Mayflower was solar powered - it included solar power, a battery to store power, and a diesel generator for backup power. Hence the need for the switches that failed. Hence, also, for the lack of power to make it to the US."

But all the publicity has strongly emphasised the solar power and the green credentials, with rarely a mention of the diesel. The original Mayflower, on the other hand, was probably much greener, relying entirely on wind power, the only fossil fuels used in it's entire carbon footprint, possibly being a small amount of coal used in the production of metals and glass.

1. jake Silver badge

"and a diesel generator for backup power"

Two diesel generators ... A small one to charge the battery that runs the electronics when the solar cells can't make power (at night, under cloud cover), and a much larger one to provide the electricity that is the motive power for the boat. The two electrical systems are airgapped from each other, one cannot augment the other. Nor can one be used to power the other in an emergency.

In its current configuration, the boat cannot move without the larger of the two diesels making electricity. That's right ... this supposedly "solar powered" boat is actually diesel-electric. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing ... that's how I'd build an autonomous boat. But then I'm not a greenaholic.

Note that I suspect the boat was supposed to actually have a pair of the larger generators. This is based on the fact that the single ~20kW genset can only power the two propellers at half their rated power of ~20kW each ... why spend money (and add the extra weight!) of the higher capacity motors if you don't intend to make use of them.

2. cheb

A mechanical Turk perhaps? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_Turk

Not to be confused with Amazon's offering

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: Overly complicated?

"Obviously I have no idea of the complexity required, but why wouldn't a GPS receiver be sufficient for this task?"

A GPS sensor won't help identify an errant buoy. Or wave magnitude/direction. Or a fouled propeller. Or any number of mechanical things.

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Civilian GPS is not particularly accurate, certainly not good enough to avoid anything smaller than a large iceberg.

In the UK there was once (last century) a suggestion that instead of trackside sensors, location of railway trains should be done by GPS. However it was pointed out that GPS was only accurate to about 100m, so although you could tell what part of the country a train was in, and the direction of travel, exactly which line it was on would be guesswork.

You need to spend quite a while in the same place to get a civilian GPS fix down to centimetre accuracy, so sensors to avoid stuff that you don't know where it is or that have the inconvenient habit of moving around, are essential.

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Civilian GPS is now accurate to between 10-33ft, and has been since May 1st, 2000.But we don't just have GPS to navigate by, we have GLONASS, Galileo and Beidou.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The 50ft (15m) trimaran is powered by solar energy ... using electric motors."

Solar energy and "backup" diesels. The original just used wind power.

3. heyrick Silver badge

Late, borked, and in the wrong country.

Well, that's an above average result for things that have "AI" involved.

1. teknopaul

Well describes most projects by IBM too.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

4. vtcodger Silver badge

Sticking with tradition

The ship's namesake in 1620 wasn't trying to go to Cape Cod. It was trying to go to Virginia. And its voyage didn't go all that smoothly either. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayflower

Seems to me that tradition has been upheld.

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Sticking with tradition

it didn't yet manage to kill the natives by infecting them with some non-native bugs.

but since Canada has health care, it will fail this time.

1. david 12 Silver badge

When the Mayflower arrived, they were helped by an English-speaking local. And found unused clearings exactly suitable for field crops.

There isn't any record of sickness on the Mayflower. Even if there was, epidemics were already ravaging the east coast.

1. jake Silver badge

"When the Mayflower arrived, they were helped by an English-speaking local. And found unused clearings exactly suitable for field crops."

Not exactly. The written records state the "ground was too frozen to start clearing".

"There isn't any record of sickness on the Mayflower."

Not during the voyage, no. But they over-wintered on the ship, because clearing land and building shelter in the colder conditions than they were used to or expecting was contra-indicated. Over the course of the winter, about half of them died of various diseases.

5. Blackjack Silver badge

Wow, literally a guy in a sail ship would take less time.

6. Phil Kingston

IBM recognising the importance of something old?

7. G R Goslin

The Scam of the Year

I had to laugh. The Mayflower400, team have been leading their public, by the nose throughout this lamentable charade. The nwebsite is a farrago of lies and misdirections. In fact, the craft is not propelled by the output of solar cells. The maximun output of the solar array, at the very best, is about 4% of the power required to propel the boat at the general speed that it attained.. The boat, in fact is propelled by two diesel/electric sets. One for propulsion, and the other for general power. The solar array, is merely to provide green camouflage. The boat is fitted with a FischerPanda AGT-DC-22000-48V, main drive supplying power to two 48 Volt Fischer Panda 20KW 600rpm EasyBox Shaft Motors. The diesel provides 21.9KW (continuous) power, from a Kubota 4cylinder 1498 cc diesel. The orher engine, a Fischer Panda AGT-DC-4000--48V. Nowhere in the website are these mentioned. Only vague, and very carefully written allusions to the solar array being able to provide power for propulsion and to power the electronics and services.

As to it's successful crossing of the Atlantic, it broke down about a hundred miles short of the Azores, and drifted free for about a week, until a boat from The Azores took it in tow to Horta Harbour, where repairs were made From there it had to be towed out into the open sea, but that might have been a regulation forbidding crewless boats from navigating in coastal waters.

It's progress across The Atlantic was nothing to commend it. It was erratic in course keeping, at times pointing ian almost any direction but America. Then it's speed dropped from the 7 knots which it had so far maintained, to 1 or 2 knots. At which point, it would have been many,many deys getting to it's declared destination. It was announced that the destination had changed to Halifax, Nova Scotia,. hardly mimicing the original Mayflower. The same continent, but not even the same country. It limped on for a while, until finally being, once more, powered off and taken in tow for the final 300 miles. The helmsmanship of the towing boat was certainly better that that of the AI, holding exactly, to the couse for Halifax, rather than the erratic couse under it's own control

Then, they have the gall, to claim a successful crossing of the Atlantic, by a boat driven by the output of an inadequate array of solar cells. On that basis, perhaps we should re-write the record of The Titanic, citing it's successful crossing of The Atlantic.

Nothing is said for an earlier crossing of The Atlantic, BOTH ways by an autonamous boat, the Saildrone, which did it without engines of any sort, and did it without problems. Driven entirely by the wind, with control power from a more effective solar array

As, I said, a Scam from end to end

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Scam of the Year

But...but...but...it's got AI in it!

2. ThatOne Silver badge
      Devil

> they have the gall, to claim a successful crossing of the Atlantic

Of course! The Great Unwashed won't have followed the various misadventures, and certainly not understood the technical aspect. So if you tell them it's a success, it's a success, period.

As for the Titanic, she did make landfall, didn't she. Quite literally so.

1. adam 40 Silver badge

I think we are finally getting to the bottom of this!

8. G R Goslin

Look at that!!

You really should look at www.saildrone.com to see how the job should really have been done. And has been done, without the lies and hype.

1. Rolly_Poly

Re: Look at that!!

That's quite impressive, especially the way it holds course.

https://data.saildrone.com/data/sets/1021_atlantic

2. ThatOne Silver badge
      Facepalm

> to see how the job should really have been done

Without IBM?

Without AI?

Yes, it is true MAS has been an inexcusable disaster, which only shows that IBM is not really capable of organizing and managing even a mid-sized technical project.

But don't worry IBM fans out there, here comes PR, and this will certainly be sold as a total, unmitigated triumph. Just watch the news around you...

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

> But don't worry IBM fans out there, here comes PR

I suspect the whole project was run by PR.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Obviously. The scope (???) and efficiency (!!!) show it was most certainly a PR stunt, to bring IBM's AI department to make the headlines.

9. Bitsminer Silver badge

Meanwhile, over on the Pacific...

Hyundai autonomous ship controls managed the ocean-going voyage of a 122,000 ton LNG carrier.

They still required people to navigate harbours and the Panama Canal though. But apparently it managed 10,000km all by itself.

https://newatlas.com/transport/first-autonomous-ocean-passage-prism-courage-tanker-hyundai/

10. G R Goslin

I see, now...

That the camera view has been relaced by a short loop of recording, of the same group of people, endlessly pottering about on the pontoon. Is there anything real, about anything on this web site?

11. G R Goslin

The PR storm arrives

I see that the PR exercise is well under way. I googled the event, and found numerous articles, all praising the "successful" crossing of the Atlantic. Some of them even claiming that it is the first such crossing, ignoring the BOTH ways crossing of the saildrone, some years earlier. Which inconveniently did not require to be rescued, mid ocean, and be towed to the wrong destination. A fact, conveniently omitted from all the congratulations of this ill fated attempt.

I'm rather sad at the ease by which the truth is so easily covered up, and the lies so widely propagated.

12. Aging_Biker

Surely a case of our "row-boat" overlords?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like