back to article Kremlin-backed youths launched Estonian cyberwar, says Russian official

Members of a Kremlin-backed youth group spearheaded the cyberattacks that paralyzed Estonia's internet traffic in May of 2007, a Russian government official has admitted. Until recently, Russia has denied any involvement in the DDoS (or distributed denial of service) attacks, which followed a diplomatic row between the two …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Out of the ashes ...

... of the former Soviet Union, the mighty kremvax rises ...

2. Christoph

If that's how they want it

"We did not do anything illegal"

So the Russian government has stated that there is nothing illegal in anyone hammering the Russian government's sites and crashing them, and that they would have nothing to complain about if this happened.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Glad the Russian government thinks DOS is legal

Isn't that grounds for ICANN removing all .ru websites and all Russian IP addresses from all DNS servers?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Spooky

Very, very spooky.

There again, arms limitation talks are in the offing so who knows?

Maybe it is the bear setting a 'don't meddle wiv me' stance?

5. Daniel Garcia
    Paris Hilton

if i was a baltic state citizen

i would do the patriotic thing of build up a million+ zombiebot army and hit hard next time that the lunatic at Kremlin decided to show again their post Mother Russia bring down down down inferiority complex by bullying little neiboughood states.

it is a shame that a country with such power to behave like they need to pump up its chest every time that something that barely looks like a "insult to the Mother" occurs.

(Sigh)

Paris, because she is our sister of mercy

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. cloudberry

what prompted the attack?

And what prompted this electronic attack? How did Estonia "act illegally" towards Russia, eliciting its electronic fury?

It elected to move a statue depicting Soviet soldiers from one place in Tallinn to another.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Estonian Citizen

The attack was in fact a lot bigger than "100MB", the sites did not 'respond' because at first the some parts of connection with russia was almost closed down and then attacked networks to the rest of the world (large amount of botnet attacks came from infected US PC's). The scale of attacks was quite big and well coordinated. Local network guys did great work and online banking worked inside Estonia most of the time. There is no way it was done just few 'russian patriots', but there was a lot of web pages teaching regular russians how to 'join in'.

So some think that I should have used some botnet army to retaliate ? Break laws and make even more networks flooded ? How would any of that make anything better ? If monkey starts throwing shit at you, you will not start throwing shit back. That's the difference between monkeys and humans.

9. Daniel Silver badge
    Alert

100MB

"...sustained cyber assault that flooded Estonian government sites with some 100MB of data"

If it only took 100MB of data to shut down a country I would suggest that country needs to invest a little more in their infrastructure.

10. Anonymous Cowherd

What would actually be lost

What would actually be lost by a combined decision to switch Russia off the internet? I'm woefully unfamiliar with the practicalities but it seems like something that would be doable by automatically denying any traffic with a Russian IP.

They could use their infrastructure to fire spam email and viruses amongst themselves while everyone else got on with actually doing stuff (or, in my case, slacking off).

11. Charlie Mason
    Thumb Up

Improvement

Well I for one would rather see them crippling their websites than the people living there.

12. Edward Miles
    Stop

What?

"a sustained cyber assault that flooded Estonian government sites with some 100MB of data"

Either that's a typo, or they really need to stop serving websites on a 56K modem!

13. Steve Swann
    Joke

In old soviet union....

...internet hacks you.

14. Stuart

Cut'em'Off

Don't attack, just ex-communicate. All we have to do is cut all traffic Monday to Friday until they effectively outlaw DoS and the spam gangs. It will damage them more than us. And they can't DoS except at the weekend which is a decent protection and justification anyway.

15. Ray
    Unhappy

In capitalist Russia, logical conclusion draws YOU.

I smell paradox.

A) We did not do anything illegal

B) We are hiding the name of a responsible individual from the law enforcement agencies

C) Universe implodes

Shitsacks. But then, if you've ever met a Russian copper, you'll know how it works over there.

"Grakhdanskii. Dai mne svoi telefon ili vy budete v tyurme."

16. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Ah the bear and the minnow

Perhaps as with all bullies the size of the minnow has to be trivially slight?

But perhaps worst of all is that serious or at least reasonable misgivings about the new new order in former Russian (as in USSR) empire are handled in such a non-orthodox way.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Again

Russians acting like a pre-teen with massive self esteem issues. What a surprise.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like