back to article HP turns back on $1b in annual sales by quitting Russia and Belarus

PC and printer giant HP Inc. is boldly but belatedly turning its back on Russia and Belarus due to the continued conflict in Ukraine. HP was among the first wave of tech companies to suspend shipments to the countries soon after Russia invaded its neighbor on February 24, but now the company's president and CEO Enrique Lores …

1. macjules

Just blame Mike Lynch

.. and chuck another £1Bn on the bonfire.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just blame Mike Lynch

Wrong HP, but thanks for joining in.

1. TimMaher Silver badge
        Pint

Re: Wrong HP

Owned by Kraft-Heinz?

The sauce?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Wrong HP

1, We have supply chain problems and shortages

2, we stopped $1Bn of kit going to Russia

3, we sell that kit in richer markets - profit

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Adobe anticipates a $75 million hit this year"

It shows how much software piracy is ongoing there... and probably is the cause they are not so good at photoshopping Kirill luxury watches...

3. Bruce Ordway

For some reason....

This reminded me of the Johnson administration and the Viet-Nam peace plan

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/address-johns-hopkins-university-peace-without-conquest

Different times back then for sure but... as old foes of the U.S. moderated seems like the world did experience a long period of "peace without conquest"?

But.. TBD how long peaceful relationships can really be maintained?

If a country like Russia ( and maybe China ) will blow things up - prioritize ideology over economy?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. cjcox

Gotta love headline wording, HP turned back on....

If I start a sentence with "HP turned back on...." doesn't that sound like they have started doing something again that they had stopped doing prior?

1. JamesTGrant
      Pint

Re: Gotta love headline wording, HP turned back on....

Ooo good spot, I am steeped in my upbringing and the idiom ‘to turn one’s back’ is so common that I missed the actual title, there’s a subject but no explicit possessive element in the sentence so ‘back’ as a adverb rather than noun is a very natural reading. ‘Turn back to’ is literally ‘return to’ in this context.

5. SnOOpy168

Officially, exiting. But traders from all over can still drop-ship HP items into these no-man's land.

PC, Laptop and servers? Gladly replaced by Lenovo or other chinese brands. Everything is made in china these these isn't it ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is an awful lot of on-premises HP kit...

There is an awful lot of on-premises HP kit running out of date insecure versions of iLO* (Integrated Lights out) out there.

If you are one of those customers, HP just made your kit very vulnerable to attack (rootkits).

Get updating, and if iLO fails to update, get complaining to HP, because the failure of the onboard 4Gb flash, through excessive writes is a known design fault, that deserves out-of-warranty system board replacements. I've never yet found a HP Server that the added mitigation by HP, within iLO, aka. 'Format flash' managed to fix. If a 4Gb flash chip has failed, it's failed.

*[Integrated Lights-Out, or iLO, is a proprietary embedded server management technology, that can apply operations, such as shutdown, startup remotely.]

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP will save money on bribes they will no longer have to pay

Should work out fine.

8. YetAnotherJoeBlow

I can not help but wonder if say HP (or others) think come tax time next year, there will be nice tax cuts for them based on what they claimed their hit was as the government says thank you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like