back to article Supermicro CEO would like it if you could all build new, greener datacenters

Transitioning just half of all datacenters to sustainable operating models could cut global energy costs by $7 billion, Supermicro CEO Charles Liang claims. Building greener datacenters was a central theme of the company’s nearly hour-long Computex keynote earlier this month, where Liang touted Supermicro’s efforts to reduce …

1. pavel.petrman

Reduce e-waste

Do I read it correctly that we need to reduce e-waste by buying whole new datacenters from Supermicro, preferably this quarter?

On a side note, I have a ten year old Supermicro board in my home NAS and it still humms away quite nicely, and at quite a low consumption at that. I will be reducing my e-waste by not buying a new one as long as reasonably possible. A deal breaker for me would be immersion cooling applicable at home (which, erm, boils down to non-toxic, reasonably fire resistant dielectric liquid at a reasonable price), which is currently still unattainable, sadly.

2. nijam Silver badge

> ...holy grail of datacenter cooling...

I've been doing it for years - my on-prem systems (in my study) contribute to warming the house.

(And no, I don't have, or need, aircon in this climate.)

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Supermicro CEO would like it if you could all build new, greener datacenters

I think that's what he actually meant.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like