back to article AMD reveals 5nm Ryzen 7000 powered by Zen 4 cores

AMD has revealed some more details about its forthcoming Ryzen 7000 family of Zen 4 desktop processors and the socket they'll use. CEO Lisa Su said the chips' CPU dies will be built using a 5nm process by TSMC, will double the cache per core to 1MB, will include instructions tuned to the needs of artificial-intelligence …

1. Duncan Macdonald

Goodbye GF

Global Foundries makes the current I/O chips for the Ryzen range - however GF does not have sub-10nm capability so this announcement signifies that GF will not be producing parts for Zen 4 and later.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Goodbye GF

Hello GF! Raspberry Pi 4s are currently 16nm. Perhaps on 2023-03-14 we will see a 10nm Pi 5.

1. rcxb1

I don't believe GF has gone below 12nm. They skipped 10nm to go straight to 7nm, then decided 7nm was too difficult/expensive.

2. Old Used Programmer

Last I heard the Pi4 SoC--Broadcom BCM2711--was a 28nm part. Got source for that 16nm claim?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apparently, they said TSMC were making the I/O chiplets (and that they'd made some improvements to them) :)

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Thumb Down

I still want my HEDT Threadripper. Annoying being in limbo like this.

2. BOFH in Training

More info on laptop chips would have been better

But I guess they need some info to slowly release over the next few months to keep the public and media's interest.

As someone who has been using laptops primarily in the pass decade or so, and with my current and previous laptops with AMD CPUs, am pretty interested on what AMD is offering in terms of laptop CPUs (and GPUs).

Typing this from a Lenovo Legion 7 powered by a Ryzen 9 5900HX.

3. Boothy

RYZEN 7000CPU

Puzzled by this statement: "Su discussed only the RYZEN 7000CPU. There's surely more to come, ..."

So far AMD have never released a '*000' CPU model of Ryzen, and when AMD, or anyone else, refers to the *000 they are typically referencing the entire family, not a specific CPU.

I would expect we'd be seeing things like 7600(X), 7700X, 7900X etc. With likely 6, 8, 12 and 16 cores (and perhaps more, especially if there is a new Threadripper at some point).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: RYZEN 7000CPU

Likely an editing issue in the article - I'm sure they meant to say "Ryzen 7000 CPUs", to differentiate from the various chipsets, etc. They did demo a 16-core chip running at 5.5GHz (on a single core, I assume) ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Likely an editing issue..."

Nope.

"...unlikely to make the effort for a single processor, "

---

"if there is a new Threadripper at some point"

What is kind of crazy is that 24 20 lanes is still considered the "normal" for "desktop", meaning there will have to be a new Threadripper. It's a scam that if you want a nice GPU, 100gb 50gb 25gb GBE and any sort of media support you have to buy a Threadripper solely for the fact there isn't enough lanes with the Ryzen... solely that reason.

2. Piro Silver badge

It was in a gaming workload, so I doubt that only used one core these days

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Hi -- yeah, we'll get that clarified for you.

C.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I won't be buying a new computer until there is at least a 16 full-core Zen 4 available. Doing otherwise would just be a lateral move, save for core count. I just hope they don't follow along Intel's dead-end route of "efficiency" cores.

1. Boothy

No idea what the source was atm, but I'd heard that AMD had no plans for big/little type core layouts, as they didn't see what the use case was, and it added additional complexity to things like manufacturing, and the scheduling of tasks. Something that hit Intel, with many games and other tasks actually running slower on their new chips, as game engines etc assumed all cores were equal, this needed patching in the applications to fix.

From what I've seen, the chiplet layout of the new AMD CPUs is the same as previously, i.e. a single IO chiplet (now made by TSMC), and 1 or 2 CPU chiplets depending on which model, with up to 8 cores/16 threads, per chiplet, same architecture as we have now. It's just this time, better IPC, and what looks like a much improved clock speed.

Also the demo CPU that was used for AMDs benchmarks in their presentation, was apparently an early 16/32 core/thread part. So perhaps what will become the new 7950X, assuming they stick to the existing naming convention of course.

2. Binraider Silver badge

Very, very happy with my current 5950X. Given PCI-Exp 4 gfx cards are barely an established thing, I am sure I'll have that system for at least 10 years short of some radical move in capability.

If part pricing improves somewhat I'd maybe consider swapping more often; which would of course be predicated on selling the older machine on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like