back to article Meta to squeeze money from WhatsApp with Cloud API for businesses

At Meta's first Conversations keynote yesterday, the company announced the WhatsApp Cloud API, aimed at improving the customer service experience for businesses of all sizes. Meta already has the WhatsApp Business API, the first revenue-generating enterprise product for the otherwise free messaging app, where companies pay …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I deleted my Facebook account yesterday.

I've had enough of the gaping maw of information slurping for the sake of jokes, memes, and cat pictures.

1. ElRegioLPL

No ones arsed

2. RubberJohnny

Excellent. The more people that close the lid on that sewer the better for everybody.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Bonded to a villain .... what could possibly go wrong, 007?

What’s up, doc, .... all of your info and intel belongs to us.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: Bonded to a villain .... what could possibly go wrong, 007?

Indeed - and it won't be just your company email address that WA will get from the companies - so you get profiled one way or the other via the cookies they put to support your "work" email/and even if not linking via email addresses, they can mine the data and find correlation by profiling other information.

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

When the cat’s away [MI5/MI6/GCHQ are MIA/AWOL] the mice will play

Using WhatsApp for business is not without its pitfalls and difficulties ......... https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/regulators-engaging-systematic-probe-top-bankers-who-used-unauthorized-messaging-apps ....... even though it has been reported to be a Parliamentary business favourite too by those who would choose to be less than transparent in ...... well, one imagines all manner of shady shenanigans and shifty sculduggery for which they would not wish to be held responsible and accountable for.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: When the cat’s away [MI5/MI6/GCHQ are MIA/AWOL] the mice will play

It's also ideal for sending out party invitations. And if said invitation came via the Business api, then the grand formage himself could claim that the event was a business related work event - albeit one with cakes, booze and party hats.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

at least it tells us which companies not to trust

Any company using what'scrap seems to be one to not to use, or trust.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. scrubber

Make money?

They already have the network of mobile number connections, that's what they paid the money for. Anything else is gravy.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In all seriousness, people still use WhatsAPP?

No sarcasm... it's a real question. I thought it died off.

1. elaar

Re: In all seriousness, people still use WhatsAPP?

Almost, only 2billion users.. When it takes about 5 years for your Nan to get used to it, it's not going anywhere fast.

2. Korev Silver badge

When the T&Cs changed a while ago a lot of people said they'd stop using it. The end result for me is that ~90% of messages still go through WhatsApp and I have a load of other messaging apps of which each is used by a tiny number of people....

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

They haven't yet gone through with those changes which would allow them to merge data from the various platforms and sell it to advertisers. I know quite a few people who will delete it if they're ever required to agree to the new T&Cs.

Technically, it's not a very interesting platform but at least it uses Signal's protocol for encryption. If you compare it with Telegram then you can see what happens once big companies buy these things up. Telegram continues to improve scale and firewall evasion while adding goodies to the clients. Yes, I know encryption is neither brilliant nor is your data secure unless you enable private messenging for everything.

3. CommonBloke

It is the de facto messaging app in a number of countries, including Brazil and India, for instance.

4. RubberJohnny

We had a boss man tell us he’d created a WhatsApp group for us and suggested we all join it.

The unanimous response of “I don’t do WhatsApp” was very entertaining.

7. Jan K.

"And today, I am excited to announce that we're opening WhatsApp to any business of any size around the world with WhatsApp Cloud API."

I'm welling up, so can't really contribute...

8. SnOOpy168

Whatsapp is NOT going to sneak in Ads and spams into my personal space right ?

Wishful thinking.

9. SnOOpy168

Looked up. Whatsapp has 4X user in Indian vs USA.

and has US$8.7b revenue. Errr...where did those $ came from ?

https://www.businessofapps.com/data/whatsapp-statistics/

10. Plest Silver badge
    Facepalm

Yeah, I can imagine anyone in business with half a brain thinking they'd rather push their face aggressively into a beehive, than pay Facebook to use WhatsApp for business usage. We all use it, I know that but tying it direct into biz processes via code, yeah dream on!

1. iron Silver badge

> We all use it, I know that

I do not now, nor have I ever used any product from Facebook, Meta or Zuck.

I have lost nothing. You have lost your privacy.

1. Snowy Silver badge
        Coat

You may have lost nothing but did you gain your privacy?. There are more than the likes of Facebook, Meta or Zuck invading your privacy.

2. RubberJohnny

Definitely do not use it, nor anyone in my family or immediate circle.

Wouldn’t touch it or Faecebook with yours.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I don't use it and find it irksome when companies that have moved over to it entirely (KLM, I can't fly with you because you seem to require it). If you're going to use additional channels then make sure you use at least two different suppliers… Also, compared with Telegram the API really is fairly basic which just shows the ones calling the shots don't seem to use it.

11. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

"automated quick replies, greeting messages"

Genuine question. Has anyone, ever, found either of these to be anything other than patronising noise? If I get in contact with a company, it's not a robot I want to talk to.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. cb7

Re: "automated quick replies, greeting messages"

As a small business owner who uses WhatsApp business, I find the out of hours automated response feature extremely useful.

It means anyone reaching out to me out of hours will get an automated response informing them of my operating hours. Which in turn means a) I get to switch off from work and b) they get to know I'm not ignoring them and they can expect to receive a response when I'm back at work.

I know from feedback that they do appreciate it.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Re: "automated quick replies, greeting messages"

Thanks for the reply - ok, that is a fair call and I hadn't considered the out-of-house aspect. Perhaps unsurprising given I'm posting from my laptop at 11pm Sunday...

12. Shuki26

Apprehensive to use the business api

As a user, I want to keep my Whatsapp for personal use and hate that some companies are moving most of their customer service to that. As a small business owner, I'm apprehensive to get hooked into using Whatsapp and then getting dependent on it why Mark has access to the gobs of data that will be generated for him to exploit. For now, not feeding that shark.

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Re: Apprehensive to use the business api

Burner phone. Pick up a cheap android on ebay,prepay SIM. Sign in with fresh, vanilla Google account.

13. sabroni Silver badge

"Back then, the service had 450 million users and was losing millions of dollars

It now has more than 2 billion users."

Is it still losing millions of dollars?

What kind of half arsed article is this?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: "Back then, the service had 450 million users and was losing millions of dollars

Is it still losing millions of dollars?

No, it's now losing billions but doesn't have to disclose how many.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like