back to article Europe moves closer to stricter cybersecurity standards, reporting regs

Europe has moved closer toward new cybersecurity standards and reporting rules following a provisional network and information systems agreement dubbed NIS2 by the European Council and Parliament.  Once approved, NIS2 [PDF] will replace the current Directive on Security of Network and Information Systems, aka NIS, which was …

1. msknight

No IPv6

I did a search of the document for IPv6 and didn't find anything of it, yet it is one of the things that has been touted to increase traceability, if not security per-se eg. Belgium's insistence on reducing CGNat to 16 per IP which then drove faster IPv6 adoption.

I'd really love to know to what extent IPv6 is already being used and whether the trigger will ever be pulled on the death of IPv4. The whole subject just seems to be a bit of a black hole.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No IPv6

It's not security.

They are starting with clear security focused stuff, then broadening it as they go along. I've no doubt IPv6 will come in at some point though.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    WTF?

Does not apply to central banks ?

Why do the security regulations not apply to the most critical part of the entire banking infrastructure ?

I don't get it. Central banks should be the most paranoid institutions in existence. If a central banks gets infiltrated, there's no limit to the mayhem that can follow. So why are they exempt ?

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Re: Does not apply to central banks ?

"why are they exempt ?"

Politics? PR?

Despite idiocies such as SMS authentication of online transactions and card 'tap' transactions up to GBP200, the banks have created a reputation for being good at security that nobody seems willing to challenge in public. I strongly suspect that liability transfer may underlie a lot of their 'security' decisions.

1. UCAP Silver badge

Politics? PR?

ECB!

2. iron Silver badge

Lol central banks don't do SMS, pay by bonk or deal with any members of the public. These are banks like the Bank of England and the European Central Bank, you are talking about commercial banks which is an entirely different animal.

2. codejunky Silver badge

@Pascal Monett

"Why do the security regulations not apply to the most critical part of the entire banking infrastructure ?"

I expect the explanation would be similar to ZIL lanes. You cant expect important people (rule makers) to abide by the same rules as everyone else.

3. Clausewitz4.0 Bronze badge
      Devil

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Joke

Icon update please

I've asked El Reg to add a pair of wire-cutters to the icons in the past when we discuss security issues, but nowadays I think it would be much better to just give us a axe icon for cybersecurity posts. The concept of cybersecurity is just a joke these days - every time we talk about cybersecurity we're just discussing failures so let's all just use this icon until we get a "cybersecurity update" that works.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like