back to article Researchers find 134 flaws in the way Word, PDFs, handle scripts

Security researchers have devised a tool that detects flaws in the way apps like Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat process JavaScript, and it's proven so effective they've found 134 bugs – 59 of them considered worthy of a fix by vendors, 33 assigned a CVE number, and 17 producing bug bounty payments totaling $22,000. The tool …

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

Acrobat, for example, allows JavaScript to manipulate PDF files.

And that is a shitty idea.

1. petef

Compounded by JavaScript being enabled by default. One of the first things that I do with a new install of Acrobat Reader is to turn off that preference.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

One of the first things I do is install Sumatra PDF.

It's free, it works, and there is no bullshit delivered with it.

1. LybsterRoy Silver badge

And its a great ereader for the PC

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

One of the first things I do is not install Acrobat at all. There are plenty of better, less-bloated alternatives now.

2. Tom 7

Why is it a shitty idea? I manipulate documents using a variety of methods. I dont use Acrobat but running a script within Acrobat is no more stupid than running one outside of it. Its running acrobat I would have concerns about, well that and using Pointless Document Format. It seems more a case of crossing that bridge when we back up several decades and hit it again.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

...running a script within Acrobat is no more stupid than running one outside of it.

Depends on the level of security you want to have. Applications like Acrobat are well known for having this capability and are attacked for that very reason. People get sent booby trapped documents all the time in hope they will open them. Not allowing Acrobat, MS Office and similar to run scripts by default cuts down on this sort of behavior being successful. You can still run scripts which can be vetted or blocked independently, but in general this is a good thing to turn off.

2. Maventi

What's so pointless about PDF though? Is there a better format for distributing documents with a consistent appearance and layout?

2. Scott Broukell

Sod the security, we wan't convenience and ease of use and shinny shinny things! Twas ever thus.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Headline: "Word, PDFs"

Text: "Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat"

PDF != Acrobat. There are other PD|F handling applications..

1. david 12 Silver badge

Yes, the research document specifically mentions Foxit as well as Acrobat.

so, PDFs, not just one application.

Also, although they only fussed Word documents, they used a VBA binding. Somebody is going to try their tool on Excel.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hate Adobe more than anyone else here

I really cannot put into words how much.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: I hate Adobe more than anyone else here

A bold claim.

Not saying you don't, but the competition is fierce.

2. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Boo hoo. Perhaps you can sign up a free Adobe Express account and make a shiny poster for your wall.

'This is not A dobe'.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Perhaps you can go away and stop spouting nonsense that tends to get heavily downvoted (with a few exceptions, but even a stopped clock...).

1. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

I see. We should all say things which are popular with the likes of you. How's your book burning going?

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Book burning is indeed a fairly desperate tactic that's generally applied by totalitarians, and it doesn't have an equivalent here (nobody is deleting your posts). It's better to let people say what they want, call them out when they're talking nonsense, and hope that maybe they'll either get the message or simply go away. Downvoting is probably more equivalent to people not wanting to buy your book in the first place.

To quote you,

I often get a lot of down votes ... from people who don't know what they are voting on... Even when you explain it they will down vote you.

Has it occurred to you that maybe people know exactly what they're voting on, have understood you perfectly, and still think you're talking nonsense?

1. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

-> Has it occurred to you that maybe people know exactly what they're voting on

Given the number of downvotes when I make common sense comments about Linux, no they don't. They don't know their elbows from their ankles.

1. Runkel

What about the not-too-few cases when you get downvoted because you spout something which doesn't make any sense at all, common or not?

2. W.S.Gosset

> Given the number of downvotes when I make common sense comments about Linux, no they don't. They don't know their elbows from their ankles.

You recently wrote this:

s'/is a/is yet another/'

The strong implication from the misquoting and the quote-form chosen is that you have little hands-on experience with any unix, and that you don't actually understand it. But that you dearly want people to think that you do.

5. Arthur the cat Silver badge
    Facepalm

Only possible response

That few???

1. fidodogbreath

Re: Only possible response

Yeah, I expected a lot more, too.

6. YetAnotherJoeBlow

So we needed user supplied executeable code in a document for what reason again?

1. Clausewitz4.0 Bronze badge
      Devil

To automate office tasks, like huge spreadsheets with market stock prices.

...And to make a few virus and exploit writers to earn a few bucks in the white/gray/black markets.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

I don't think it needs to be embedded in the document for most of those tasks. Keeping it out of the document makes the document safer for people who just want to read the answer rather than generate it.

7. Blackjack Silver badge

I said it once and I will say it again, PDF is unsafe as hell and should die in the pits of hell together with Microsoft Bob.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why do you think PDF is unsafe - as opposed to the viewer application? Genuine question.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like