back to article Windows Subsystem for Linux gets bleeding-edge Ubuntu

Canonical has begun slinging daily builds of Ubuntu at Windows Subsystem for Linux. We took a look at the not-for-production code. Ubuntu has long been friends with the Windows Subsystem for Linux. If you pop wsl --install onto a virgin Windows 11 PC, the odds are it will be Canonical's Linux distribution that is installed by …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is not recommended for production development. It may be unstable and it will have bugs'

Are they talking about Windows in general , or WSL in particular with that quote?

1. Rich 2 Silver badge

Re: This is not recommended for production development. It may be unstable and it will have bugs'

My thought exactly. If it’s the subsystem then it sounds like it’s a perfect clone of the real thing - congratulations Cononical!!!!

2. Kurt 5

How about NTFS fix?

Has the performance issue with the NTFS driver been fixed in WSL2?

1. Tom 7

Re: How about NTFS fix?

Be interesting to see this one out. If it is fixed then of course you only need on windows license to feed all your NTFS data out to Linux. Or is windows licensing based on available bandwidth now?

3. oiseau
    Stop

Not recommended?

"This is not recommended for production development. It may be unstable and it will have bugs."

Really?

A bit too optimistic, methinks.

How about this:

This is not recommended. It will be unstable and it will have bugs.

There you go, fixed it for you.

I'd say that it adjusts more to reality.

Not that I'd let that crap anywhere near my Linux installations.

O.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: Not recommended?

This is not recommended. It will be unstable and it will have bugs.

There you go, fixed it for you.

Still to optimistic I think.

4. georgezilla Silver badge

Crap on crap?

So we have a crap distro ( Ubuntu ), running in a VM on an even crappier host OS ( Windows ).

Huh.

Why am I not surprised.

Hint: I'm not. Not even a little bit.

1. oiseau
      Facepalm

Re: Crap on crap?

Why am I not surprised.

Why?

Because the writing has been on the wall for the longest time.

When you saw it, you both read and understood what it meant.*

This is all part of the same MS 30+ year old modus operandi : embrace, extend, and extinguish.

That's why you are not surprised.

Unfortunately, there's a legion of naysayers saying it is all nonsense.

O.

* See: Deadly Embrace

5. Binraider Silver badge

Counting the days to Canonical / Microsoft merger and future Linux distro called Windows 13. Might even be as soon as 12.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Holmes

Not as crazy as it sounded even a couple of years ago. Microsoft have made it very clear that their old model of one-off revenue from perpetual licence sales isn't enough any more. They want monetization, ongoing revenue and are shifting to SaaS for client and server. I can absolutely believe that to them, it's no longer about what OS the client endpoint runs. It's now all about how many Microsoft services and subscriptions can be layered onto it. From their point of view, not switch to Linux - or something built thereon - and offload the bulk of the maintenance, security and support costs to others?

Counter-arguments?

1. Binraider Silver badge

The stony silence seems to suggest there are no counter arguments!

A Windows-Linux Server distro "Azure-OS" would probably be the most obvious route to market... Like the split of 9x and NT; "business/desktop" releases might then well intend on converging on Linux.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like