back to article Demand for GPUs used to mine crypto 'disappearing', says ASUSTeK

Taiwanese hardware giant ASUSTeK says demand for GPU used to mine cryptocurrency is "disappearing" – and so is about ten percent of demand for personal computers. Speaking on the company's Q1 earnings call, co-CEO S.Y. Hsu said the fall in demand for GPUs was caused by the crypto industry responding to critics of its energy …

1. Mayday
    Megaphone

Not Only That

But as the mining difficulty increases, the effort required to mine $coin increases, which makes means one needs more grunt (ie hardware), and more electricity, to do so, making the mining work less, or not at all profitable.

This means that people might even be able to get a GPU and actually use it as a GPU within the next year or so.

1. pklausner

Re: Not Only That

Unfortunately, no.

Bitcoin adapts the difficulty to the available hash rate. Once enough miners dropped out, it becomes profitable again at whichever lower price & hash level.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

There's an assumption in that line of argument: that the crypto-currency and NFT fads keep going. Rarity won't support the price of something nobody wants.

2. Tom 7

You really think they will introduce ranges of hashes that have already been used?

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

Demand for GPUs used to mine crypto 'disappearing'

Good news, everyone!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Unhappy

Yeah, except that "proof of space" means that Seagate, Toshiba, Western Digital & Co are now going to make mint on 8TB drives.

The madness is just switching platform, the scams will proceed as usual.

3. Conundrum1885

Not quite that simple

The "proof of space" is to store plots not create them in the first place.

For this, SMR drives are ideal and a much cheaper option.

CMR would be a terrible waste, as the aim here is to store the data for a long time.

An ideal Chia system would have a super fast SLC NVM-e drive for plotting, fast CMR drive for temporary storage and HA-SMR array for long term.

1. sreynolds

Re: Not quite that simple

Or just skip the middle man and store directly in /dev/null

4. ThatOne Silver badge
    Devil

Unwarranted optimism

> Less demand will see prices fall

You're kidding, right? Prices will rise, because that's the only direction they know. Don't forget that gaming laptops (or dedicated computers in general) are for those who can afford them, so let's see how much those are willing to spend for the latest and fastest... After all, if they can't afford the outlandishly priced flagship, they'll settle for the next best but more affordable one, so it's not like we're losing sales.

They have a sum of money burning holes in their pockets, it's up to us to decide what they'll get for it, and don't give me any of that "fulfill their dreams" crap, we're not Santa.

1. Boothy

Re: Unwarranted optimism

That's not really how markets work.

Low stock, drives prices up, as there is no competition, and demand outstrips supply. Healthy stock means supply outstrips demand, and drives prices down, as there is more competition between OEMs, so they have to adjust price to keep selling.

In March very few cards were in stock, across both AMD and Nvidia, and as an example, the AMD 6800 XTs' were around £1200 in March (lowest price).

A quick look on OC UK just now, and almost all (~95%) of all Nvidia and AMD cards are now in stock.

Currently the same AMD 6800 XTs' are ~£820 (lowest price), so almost a £400 drop in two months, and this is still declining.

For ref, the original MSRP for the 6800 XT, was around £650 for the base models, which of course the card has never been sold at by OEMs. But at least it's heading in the right direction!

Also the closer we get to the launch of the new ranges, due later this year, the cheaper the current gen cards are likely to get.

5. Mostly Irrelevant

My worry is that this happens again when the next generation of GPUs launches.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The next generation of nVidia GPUs are supposed to be a lot faster, but draw a lot of power, with prices in the $500-3000 range.

1. Sp1z

Was this written by a bot?

In other news, time moves forward.

6. pimppetgaeghsr

There will likely be a bear market in Bitcoin and a floor of ONLY $20k as we approach the next halving. It's strange that something that was an ATH a few years ago becomes a floor where the media expresses insane amounts of negative press towards bitcoin. I saw it at the approach to the last halving at around $3k, there was accumulation and then another tear a few months after the halving occurs.

It's the same market cycle over and over again but with prices 10x what they were before.

Whether or not its a ponzi scheme, big institution manipulation or an effect of the scarcity remains to be seen.

7. Apprentice Human

Only the young?

"young people consider an important piece of home entertainment kit"

Err, my wife is younger than me and in her late 50s. She'll be very flattered to be considered in the 15-30 age demographic!

8. DrSunshine0104

I ended up just buying a gaming laptop because buying a desktop GPU is too difficult. Maybe it is not as fun as building a desktop but with USB-C docks and my desire to sit on the couch, it is not a purchase I regret.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bitcoin?

Nah, all the cool kids are now collecting four leaf clovers!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like