back to article User-built low-code apps tipped to dominate analytics by 2025

By 2025, half of analytics will be developed by business users via a low-code or no-code modular assembly experience, according to Gartner. Presenting its vision for trends in data and analytics, the global analyst said the future would put business users, rather than IT or data engineering, in the driving seat, at least in …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Oh, Gartner

Move along people, move along.

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    FAIL

Then, in 2030

Management will realise that multiple versions of the same thing is both a waste of their employees time and an unmanagable, inaccurate mess.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Then, in 2030

So, basically we are talking Office macros with more Clippy?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Whether or not IT departments agree with Gartner's visions is a moot point. But they might want to be aware of them next time they talk to the senior management team"

You underestimate them, Lindsay. You haven't considered the disrupting power of the BUSINESS TECHNOLOGIST, the CITIZEN.

If you were trying to write a satirical article, it would be hard to top the quotes from Ms. Idoine. It also almost sounds like the name of an opiate. Really impossible to rival.

4. OhForF' Silver badge

Analysts driving the business - to the wall?

"the global analyst said the future would put business users, rather than IT or data engineering, in the driving seat,"

So decision makers can just apply their tremendous skills to the new low code data analysis tools without talking to IT or data engineers and fiddle around until they get a result that confirms what they already knew.

No more useless discussions why this result is not anchored in reality and can't be used to make business critical decisions.

On the downside they can't blame the data engineers to have provided wrong interpretations of the data - this is where they'll have to add some AI that can be the culprit later. Must have been some fault in the training of the AI ....

5. Bitsminer Silver badge
    Stop

Developed by business users?

...half of analytics [code] will be developed by business users...

Where have we heard this before?

Fourth-generation programming language

When the IT development queue was too long $CORP put the users in charge....except the users didn't understand the underlying data model, the notion of software test, or how to put basic data-quality checks into the 4GL user interface code.

So, naturally, it was IT's fault that it didn't work.

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Didn't we try this with Excel???

Fortunately, it's Gartner bloviating. Unfortunately CEOs believe this.

7. Howard Sway Silver badge

half of analytics will be developed by business users via a low-code modular assembly experience

I've been hearing this for 30 years, and it has always failed upon first encounter with actual business users.

Whether it 's been users writing SQL, crystal reports, data dashboards, user defined workflow engines, data warehouse wizard driven analytics, business intelligence products.... all were quickly abandoned as the realisation sunk in that understanding how to work with structured data is difficult if you've not been educated in how to work with structured data like a software developer has.

To get past that wall of fear was too difficult for most - and those few that did would eventually be disappointed to find out that the revelations on offer were mostly along the lines of the company's most popular products being the ones that sold the most, or similar completely obvious stuff they already knew.

8. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Storyline

`analytics would be based around "automated data stories" created by business users. "How can we start a story? What happened? How do we talk about why did it happen? And then if I know that, what will happen next?"`

Then Zed cried, "It really hurts my feelings when he calls me a zero." Nona sighed. "Okay, we'll draft an inclusivity statement. From now on, all numbers must be treated equally."

Tune in tomorrow to find out what will happen next.

9. Binraider Silver badge

Heard it all before. SQL, Business Objects, powerbi, etc. All made similar claims.

Oddities of DB inter connectivity, free text interpretation needs and/or bad design of underlying systems that won’t be changed mean that you always need understanding to do anything useful.

10. katrinab Silver badge
    Alert

Right now, pretty much all business analytics is done by non-coders using the world's most popular functional programming language, Excel.

Where does that fit into the calculations?

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Where does that fit into the calculations?

#DIV/0! usually.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jesus.

"How can we start a story? What happened? How do we talk about why did it happen? And then if I know that, what will happen next? To do this, we have to move from the static IT embedded applications to more business composed data and analytics".

The language here. An entire paragraph of waffle that went nowhere and means nothing.

Do these people compete to see who can say the most shit before anyone calls them out for saying basically fuck all?

12. Novex

Really

While users may try to build data analysis solutions, they'll keep coming up against the same problem with the available systems: that the predefined modules will only cover 80-90% of general business needs. The remaining 10-20% is industry/business/department/team/user specific, and the predefined modules will be black boxes that no-one's allowed to go in and modify the code. It simply won't work for the really customised requests, the likes of which I see regularly where I currently work, and that just simply can't be met by 'one size fits all' systems. That's where VBA (Access in my case, but also Excel) wins out as the code is unfettered by such constraints, even if the applications themselves really aren't where serious coding should take place and the VBA hasn't been improved in any real sense since Office 2010, if then).

13. Mostly Irrelevant

I keep hearing about "low-code" apps written by "average users" but every time I see the results they're either far too hard to use or just the WYSIWYG editor for parameters on top of a mountain of code that does the actual work.

This idea that "average users" are going to be setting up complicated functionality has been proven a fiction many times before, so colour me skeptical.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like