back to article Fedora backs down on removing BIOS support… for now

The Fedora Project has changed its collective mind, and Fedora 37 won't require UEFI – it will still install and run on BIOS-only systems. Last month we reported on some simplifications planned for Fedora 36 and 37. Aside from the changes to console graphics support, there was a proposal to require UEFI firmware, as a step …

1. Tom Chiverton 1

"booted from a Ventoy key – which tries BIOS boot first – and updated one of the installed OSes. "

What did you do ?? You must have some how nuked EFI Grub with BIOS Grub ?

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Meh

You need to be careful when you select the Ugly Extra Firmware Idiot startup...

I saw a local issue when a server administrator was told that the server needed to be rebooted and thought that he was using the UEFI - the reboot then reinstalled the RAID configuration on the two system disks ... but before he selected UEFI the system had been running one disk and using the other as the server backup.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It sounds like the old windows installs.. See a partition that wasn't DOS/FAT32? Format it!

2. m4r35n357 Bronze badge

Great ideas of our time . . .

"systemd-resolved, btrfs-by-default, and even switching the default editor to nano."

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: Great ideas of our time . . .

"Some men just want to watch the world burn, Master Wayne."

2. An_Old_Dog Silver badge
      Joke

Re nano: if they thought vi/vim was "too hard" for Linux techs to use, and that Emacs took up too much disc space, they should have gone with a clone of MS-DOS EDIT.

1. Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Yup.

It's called Tilde.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/12/17/tilde_text_editor/

1. Anonymous Coward
          Gimp

Tilde is absolutely belting and roughly 15 years too late. Also I keep forgetting the name of the bloody thing.

I have rather a lot of Windows sysadmins that I'd like to do some Linux sysadmining that would benefit from tilde ... but what a rubbish name! I'm getting on a bit now and whilst I can recall what the Queen had for dinner in 1977, I have no idea whether I've eaten lunch today or even what lunch is.

No, not that, that's on Tuesday.

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Why. The UNIX world already had a far superior command line editor in ed.

Oh. My irony meter is broken. You meant that EDLIN was almost unusable, didn't you.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fedora vs. Ubuntu

Am I hopelessly out of the loop or did The Register get these reversed? Yes, Fedora leads RedHat, but it's still RedHat's upstream, open source distro.

"Fedora is a relatively cutting-edge distro which prides itself on incorporating the latest Linux technology, and that also means proactively removing support for older technologies.

Contrast this with, for instance, Debian – which is generally very technologically conservative – or Ubuntu, which has a cycle of long-term supported releases and more experimental short-lived ones."

1. Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Fedora vs. Ubuntu

[Author here]

Um, where is the contradiction there?

1. anothercynic Silver badge

No contradiction IMO... You're quite right.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Well if Fedora is upstream RedHAt then it does seem the dropping of BIOS support, seemingly necessary for VM's - that RedHat intends to support, is potentially a case of shotting oneself in the foot.

4. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    Headmaster

Bricking ?

If you can recover by reformat+reinstall the system isn't bricked, merely trashed. Bricking is an unreversable transition to the state of a house brick, i.e. a permanently nonfunctional lump.

5. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

Bad idea

I already suggested this was a bad idea since there are loads of old servers still using BIOS and this would effectively require them to uninstall Debian and move towards another Linux distro. The only thing that would happen is Debian losing market share and many distro's based on it (Ubuntu and Linux Mint) jumping ship.

They'd save themselves a few pennies in maintenance at the cost of becoming irrelevant.

6. sreynolds

What a bunch of...

Wusses. Can't they make a decision and stick to it? How many 'users' would have noticed?

7. mohamedfaky

Honestly I think the world should completely dump legacy BIOS

For me honestly I think the world should completely dump legacy BIOS, even in virtualization.. there is no need to use a firmware that can't communicate to OS, can't understand disk's partition scheme or force any security polices compared to UEFI, can't do anything other than POST processes and only executing a bootstrap code exist in limited space on MBR that run other bootloader stages later.. multibooting for example should no longer be depend on choosing a multi-boot supported bootloader that would break easily if other OS Installer overwritten it's code on MBR.. in UEFI multibooting completely depends on the firmware itself which makes you directly browse your file systems choosing the EFI compatible bootloader you want and without any data written freely before or between partitions which is pretty clean, well organized way and quite stable compared to old booting way.. a world where technology is developing really fast, old technology shouldn't be supported for a very long time, if that's the case then having a legacy version of distros which customized especially for old hardware and work well for BIOS is a good way as the OSes and PCs will keep developing in a way that make using BIOS impossible in the future..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Honestly I think the world should completely dump legacy BIOS

>old technology shouldn't be supported for a very long time

Why not?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like