back to article One in five employees at top Indian outsourcers left in the past year

India's big four outsourcers averaged 22.7 percent attrition over the last 12 months, according to their recently published results, and that massive loss of personnel means customers will likely be served by less experienced staff. The attrition rates ranged from 27.7 percent at Infosys to 17.4 percent at Tata Consulting …

1. Warm Braw

Infosys failed to show

Somehow I'm picturing a signed professional portrait of Rishi Sunak with the legend: one law for them, one in-law for me.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not surprised

I started a role with Infosys during lockdown.

It was a remote role (obviously, given the time) but it lasted roughly 3 months. It took almost 7 weeks to get a laptop. It took me another 2 to get a working login to said laptop. I spent the next 3 weeks twiddling my thumbs not even knowing who I officially reported to or what contract I was supposed to be assigned to. And then they terminated my contract due to "making myself unavailable".

By which time I'd already found another job because while I know some people may find being paid to sit around doing nothing quite pleasant, for me it's horrendous.

The weirder thing is that when I started the new job I had a colleague who they had done the exact same thing to just before me!

1. aerogems Silver badge

Re: Not surprised

That sounds rather similar to a situation I found myself in. Did a stint working for Accenture. They sent me an Accenture laptop despite knowing the contract I was working on had the client providing me a laptop to do all work on. I was expected to then maintain this Accenture laptop despite having no reason to use it. Now I can't seem to get rid of the bloody thing. They won't send anyone by to pick it up and I refuse to go even a single step out of my way to return it to them after the way I was treated. So I'm stuck with this useless laptop just sitting around collecting dust.

1. wolfetone Silver badge
        Coat

"So I'm stuck with this useless laptop just sitting around collecting dust."

Mine bitcoin with it?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Not if he has to pay for the electricity.

2. cookieMonster Silver badge

eBay??

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

From how you describe it plus reading here and elsewhere about infosys, it would be weird had they *not* done the same thing to your colleague.

... and probably lots of colleagues before, and since, presumably.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The quality was poor to start with.

I've cycled though a few of these over the years (not by choice I might add), and poor quality is the one consistent thing I've seen across them all. There have been more than a few meetings I can remember where the customer was literally screaming down the phone to have people removed from their account because of the mess they created.

The competent people (and there aren't many) don't last long for a couple of reasons. Money, and burn-out.

1. Warm Braw

There is an argument that customers will likely be served by less experienced staff is actually the USP of outsourcing.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"the customer was literally screaming down the phone to have people removed from their account because of the mess they created"

and yet, the customer almost never removes their account

If they actually did that, problematic staff issues would be solved VERY quickly

4. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

Median length of service?

Some of the hypotheses put forward by the various executives in the OA could be tested if we knew the median length of service of those leaving.

A rough distribution (even just the median and quartiles) would be better.

Commercially sensitive information I guess.

For example UK teachers in schools: 9% leave teaching each year roughly. 15% leave after first year of teaching. The whole distribution is on the ONS Web site

https://explore-education-statistics.service.gov.uk/find-statistics/school-workforce-in-england#dataBlock-7419641d-0360-4cca-ac9a-8d30f527ae8b-tables

Although annoyingly I can't link to the retention table directly

5. John70

customers will likely be served by less experienced staff.

What do you mean "will likely"?

As soon as the person you have been dealing with gets enough knowledge, they are moved on and you get assigned the next junior in the queue and the "training" starts all over again.

6. Kabukiwookie
    Facepalm

Wipro project manager...

"We're halfway through the time allocated to this project so we're 50% done with.the work."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Seen that more than a few times.

Along with "We have 175 people assigned to work on this account". Really, because I've never seen nor heard of 70+ of them. What exactly is it they do, because it's sure as hell not the job description you have for them???

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"But we're saving so much money! It's a great deal!"

... except when it's not. E.g. when your highly paid real engineers have to work overtime to bail-out the outsourcing lot, or otherwise re-do what they did.

2. ICL1900-G3

As opposed to aircraft restoration

90% complete, 90% to go.

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

So, business as usual.

8. DS999 Silver badge

I've seen some huge India turnover

Over the years I've consulted for several clients who had India based teams I interacted with regularly enough that I got to know who on the team knew their stuff and who was dead weight. In my experience, yearly turnover for the best people was probably around 100%, and even for the dead weight was in the 25-50% range.

It was really annoying to be in a project that lasted six months and have to replace my POC for the India team twice during that time, requiring a week of catch up for the new guy each time. I actually fought with a project manager wanting to build in time for "India staff turnover" once, he wouldn't let me have it. I gave him a big "told you so" when their top guy left and it turned out he hadn't been keeping any of his underlings in the loop about what he was doing so we basically had to start their part of the project over from square one.

I guess the rule that pretty much the only way you can get a really big raise is to change jobs is just as true there as it is in the west.

9. Paul Johnston
    Flame

Bloody hell

You mean that it can get worse?

1. stiine Silver badge

Re: Bloody hell

Boy, won't that be fun...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am reminded of the time one predominantly Indian MSP was dropped in favour of another.

When queried about the decision, the response was "We know they will be shit, but at least they will be cheaper"!

1. Death_Ninja

sh1t but cheap

That's outsourcing in a nutshell, cheaper but worse.

Well, its cheaper if you stay within the terms of the agreed deliverables and then gets very expensive quickly when you ask for a variation...

But afer all these years, plenty of companies don't seem to understand this - I guess their "IT managers" also suffer from rapid turnover and muppetry.

11. donk1

Doesn't this mean that experience is no longer valued?

Learn the same lessons over and over again.

So why do companies keep using them then?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like