back to article Google Docs' AI-powered inclusive writing auto-correct now under fire

The AI algorithms used by Google Docs to suggest edits to make writing more inclusive have been blasted for being annoying. Language models are used in Google Docs for features like Smart Compose; it suggests words to autocomplete sentences as a user types. The Chocolate Factory now wants to go further than that, and is …

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge
    Coat

"He's witnessed booms and busts in the technology industry..."

If they're mic booms then I guess he must've spent some time on set during the filming of those busts.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Booms and front-of-chests please

2. b0llchit Silver badge
    Facepalm

unfix the unfixable

Trying to fix fairness is difficult,...

It is an impossibility to "fix" fairness. The whole concept of "fair" is a socio-cultural construct and a moving target.

Using machines to do human's work just codifies any current system with all its flaws, biases and problems. It soon becomes clear that nuances of the human interpretation are lacking and the target already has moved. Now we are working with a model that has yesterday's values and is frowned upon by today's users.

You'd need a thinking machine for a better result. But guess what, we already have a thinking machine! It is called a human(*) and it is a biological/chemical machine. Maybe it can improve the AI by replacing the AI?

(*) the amount of thinking embedded in a human may vary from individual to individual. No express or implied guarantees are given for any particular human's thinking ability nor its expression of said thinking.

1. hoola Silver badge

Re: unfix the unfixable

The trouble with these sorts of things is that it dumbs down ever more of people actually being able to think and understand what they are writing.

This is one organisations view on what is "correct".

1. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

I agree 100%. This will be Google-approved language.

1. Spanners Silver badge
          Alien

Google is not alone in its infantile primness. It is a US Corporate fetish.

I remember in a "Not Always Right" story how a US call centre of a multinational company had to tell its staff not to worry about conversational swear words when dealing with customers in the UK!

>not to worry about conversational swear words when dealing with customers in the UK!

Although do expect to get killed if you say Derry-stroke-Londonderry in the wrong order

2. Enric Martinez

> This is one organisations view on what is "correct".

Rather the way of a few folks at management of justifying their inflated salaries.

2. Enric Martinez

> Using machines to do human's work

Worse: We use machine coded by individual humans and belonging to a particular company and culture to try to do the work of other humans from different cultures (even if English speaking).

And as you said alreadY: It is a moving target.

An utterly stupid way of wasting time and energy to bring null benefits while pumping CO2 into the atmosphere.

3. Khaptain Silver badge

Orwellian nightmare

How long will it be before a Police Person is sent to your habitation because you used to many non inclusive words in the last 3 months ?

If anyone actually believes that Inclusive words actually change the world, think again because the victim culture will always find news methods in order to reman victims..

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: Orwellian nightmare

Language does matter: would you, for example, consider saying "sexual deviant" rather than "homosexual"? Phrasing can shape beliefs and understandings (see Chomsky), and I doubt that many people would argue that referring to people with a particular range of skin colours using the n-word is completely fine and will have no effect on societal attitudes.

Unfortunately, some people certainly take it too far and seem to seek to be offended. While I agree that there's a lot of nonsense around, I think it's important not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. (Can I say that?)

1. Steve Button Silver badge

It's your last part that sums it up nicely. "Can I say that?". I know it's a joke, but with the current state of affairs you always have in the back of your mind the thought that you might be saying the wrong thing. You might call it "WrongThink". ;-) This can stifle free flowing thoughts and discussions, and leads to many people who just don't say anything because they are afraid it might be deemed controversial (even at some point in the future).

I don't think the Police will be banging on your door for saying "mother" just yet, but you could well lose your job for saying something which doesn't go along with the current narrative, or perhaps you just don't get a job because someone in HR has quickly scrolled through your public musings and found something that's considered "problematic". (or perhaps an AI has scanned your whole output and flagged anything that might embarrass your potential employer).

This IS an Orwellian nightmare, and it's very likely to be already happening.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

And that is why you stay off social media and connect as little as possible of your online persona to your real world identity. Because no matter what your opinion is, someone will find it offensive. And what is offensive in the future might be completely acceptable at the time.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: stay off social media and connect as little as possible

but staying off social media and connecting as little as possible is highly suspicious (and already moving towards the 'offensive')

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

That's avoidance, not a fix. Works, for a while.

I've taken an approach that if someone gets offended for what I say, when it's not meant to offend, too bad, they're morons.

If they continue, I'll give an example of offences and ask "Now, do you see the difference between these? The former wasn't offending at all, to anyone else but you. If I mean to offend, it is clear and obvious.".

If you get a bunch of weasel words (or counter offence) as a reply, you *know* they are morons. No need to discuss further.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

This IS an Orwellian nightmare, and it's very likely to be already happening.

It's already happening in Scotland, where the police regularly come down on people for using what they consider to be offensive language.

I thought swearing in Scotland was just punctuation?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Maybe "offensive language" just means speaking in an English accent.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Which English accent?

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

"I thought swearing in Scotland was just punctuation?"

You are thinking of Australia.

2. iron Silver badge

Bull-fucking-shit wee man.

1. LionelB Silver badge

*Bovine-fucking-shit wee person.

3. Enric Martinez

You CAN lose your job for insulting somebody, read your contract. Or not get a job because of too many pictures of you doing the Hitler salute.

this is so now, and was so when America was Still Great. Actually worse, for some things you could be put in jail or send to get an lobotomy.

It is not an Orwellian nightmare, it is just real and normal life.

Even offline: You can't just walk around and call people things, just to show how anti-PC and anti-Woke you are: You won't get apprehended by black helicopters or put into a Government Gulag, but you will have a hard time removing all the pubes of your mouth when somebody kicks your balls so hard that you look like blowing bubblegum.

;)

4. MachDiamond Silver badge

"but you could well lose your job for saying something which doesn't go along with the current narrative, or perhaps you just don't get a job because someone in HR has quickly scrolled through your public musings and found something that's considered "problematic""

Another reason not to post your musings in a forum where you are easily identified. HR has to be doing something to justify their existence so monitoring employees' outside activities gives them boundless time wasting things to do. As time goes on, they'll need to find even more invasive ways to make sure their hirelings enhance the company's image. Even when the C-level staff are caught once again in a foreign country boozing heavily and hiring members of the Seamstress' guild.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"HR has to be doing something to justify their existence so monitoring employees' outside activities gives them boundless time wasting things to do"

Here in North(EU) that would be thoroughly illegal. I can bet they do that regardless, it's really hard to prove.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

So who gets to decide what's acceptable or not, and how often do the rules get updated, daily, weekly, monthly etc ..

How can you consider that ALL homosexuals accept the usage of the word homosexual, what do you do about those that don't accept that word... Maybe some don't even want any word used to describe them as that in itself could be considered exclusive..

There is no end to that method of thinking....It a vicious circle with no winners.... A contemporary exemple

would be how to define people with non white skin.. Is it ok to say Black , Brown, Africa, Midle Eastern, People of Colour or BAME, which is acceptable and which is not ?

I have many coloured and or gay friends/colleagues that admit that they have become disturbed by all these word games. Especially when the games are being played by people that are not concerned by it at all....

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Especially when the games are being played by people that are not concerned by it at all....

Too many people being proactively offended on other people's behalf...

2. Steve Button Silver badge

People of Colour is a particularly interesting one. I think there was a football commentator who lost his job last year for saying "coloured players". You are (currently) allowed to say "players of colour" but not "coloured players"... if I'm understanding the current "rules". (which aren't written down anywhere).

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Yep and you have the term "coloured" that I've been taught is no longer PC, which is fine, I hear the older generation say it but then some people can't change.

However, I then heard a white South African use the term "The Coloured people in South Africa" and he went on to point out "Yes, there is a race of people in South Africa that class themselves as Coloured". Looking it up, it turns out these are the Cape Coloured people. Its interesting that you could be seen as being racist by using the term but sometimes context matters.

I hear the older generation say it but then some people can't change keep up with the diktats of when yesterday's approved language suddenly becomes disapproved.

Let's be blunt about this. There are professional offence takers and if they didn't keep doing this they'd run short of offence to take.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Yep and you have the term "coloured" that I've been taught is no longer PC, which is fine,

Except for the NAACP

3. LionelB Silver badge

The term "Coloured" or "Cape Coloured" remains somewhat controversial in South Africa, because it was an official racial classification under the Apartheid system (it excluded "Black" people). Most, but not all, use the term to refer to themselves - but may be unhappy for outsiders to do so, especially Americans and British, as they are aware that the term has different connotations in those cultures.

Cape Town (my home city) is, historically, incredibly ethnically and culturally diverse, and the Apartheid classifications were arbitrary and cruel - many families were split, and people forcibly removed from their homes and livelihoods to bleak townships on the outskirts of the city.

Of course the absurdities of Apartheid were rife. As I recall, there was a bizarre interlude in the 70s or 80s, during which Japanese people were re-classified as "White", while Chinese, along with other Asians, remained "Non-White" - because South Africa was trying to negotiate a trade deal with Japan. In today's South Africa language remains another toxic legacy of Apartheid.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Steve Button - Re: Orwellian nightmare

This is why The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation actually has a list of "inappropriate" words and journalists and anchors are required to check proof their discourse before getting on-air.

3. MachDiamond Silver badge

"here was a football commentator who lost his job last year for saying "coloured players""

There was recently a lady in education in the US that was sacked for saying "Colored People" during a meeting rather than "People of Color".

In the Winter, I'm pale blue. Part of the year I'm a very light tan. If I go out without sunscreen, I'm red. Actually more pink than red, but that's another one of those modifications. Sunburn is alway "red". Does this make me "multicultural"?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

"In the Winter, I'm pale blue. Part of the year I'm a very light tan. If I go out without sunscreen, I'm red."

Sounds about typical for a Scotsman.

3. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

I would say that the sensible version of using inclusive language can be described as "not being a dick". However, the definition of this will also vary depending on who you're talking to... this is why there is no one version of what you're "allowed to say". The problem, as I see it, is the interpretation (in some quarters) of people's words with an absolute lack of nuance and from a default position of expecting to be offended (especially, as has been pointed out, on behalf of others).

Personally, when it comes to handing out judgement of other people's use of language, I try to be rather niggardly.*

*Go on, someone take the bait: I dare you.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

I laughed at the remark on the Miriam Webster site that states...

"The words niggard and niggardly are etymologically unrelated to the highly offensive and inflammatory racial slur euphemistically referred to as the N-word, despite the words' visual and auditory resemblance to it. Because of that resemblance, however, both niggard and niggardly are often taken to be offensive."

Do rhyming words also count as being potentially offensive. What about words that have the same amount of letters ? Is there actually any word that is not offensive to someone or other ?

The other ironic one is the countries of Niger and Nigeria, both mean river in the local language group but face pressure from 'well meaning' white people in California

2. Bitsminer Silver badge

...unless your name is Dick.

4. Enric Martinez

The sum of anecdotes is NOT data.

3. Mike 137 Silver badge

"Unfortunately, some people certainly take it too far and seem to seek to be offended

Even more unfortunately, and more commonly than that, some organisations and individuals appoint themselves to be offended on behalf of others whom they often haven't even asked whether they're actually offended.

4. pklausner

"Language does matter"

Yes and no.

It matters how you use it within the established framing. But trying to change the framing to permanently change its impact, that doesn't work. It boils down to the disproven Sapir-Whorf hypothesis: the linguistic structure of your language does *not* limit your thinking.

1. Julian Bradfield

"Yes". Agreed, nobody believes strong Sapir-Whorf: language does not *limit* your thinking. But weak Sapir-Whorf (language influences your thinking) has been demonstrated in many forms. Changes in language can affect prejudices, though they can't eliminate them.

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

"nobody believes strong Sapir-Whorf: language does not *limit* your thinking"

Depends what you mean by 'limit' and whether you envisage a one-way mechanism alone. Cultures indoctrinate linguistic norms and those norms thereafter certainly do affect mind sets, including rendering some thoughts out of bounds. One only has to listen to committed enthusiasts of any social organisation to see this in action.

Whorf's problem was that although he started from an empirically observed actuality, he extrapolated it too far without sufficient further knowledge or observation - a common failing of self-taught scientists.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Hubert Cumberdale - Re: Orwellian nightmare

Exactly! That's why a few decades back when I was young, the Communist regime in my native country was promoting the usage of certain words and forbidding others.

As for the n-word, we had in our culture (and we still have) at least a dozen of words you can use to make derogatory references to somebody's skin colour. If you insist on offending someone, you don't even need words, a simple meaningful look at that person can do the job. So what would be next, politically correct face masks ?

6. Terry 6 Silver badge

" t referring to people with a particular range of skin colours using the n-word is completely fine and will have no effect on societal attitudes."

Black people sometimes use the N word in their conversation. But in a context that is well understood ( and I assume ironic). Jews likewise will use words and phrases about ourselves that would be deeply racist if used by non-Jews in a different context- and acceptance of some words can even change, as people think it through more. As with Spurs' supporters.. And also using mildly dismissive terms about other nations is probably wrong, but hardly anything to bother about where these nations are on an equal footing. Rosbif, Frog, Kraut etc

7. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"would you, for example, consider saying "sexual deviant" rather than "homosexual"? "

No.

"sexual deviant" means anything that's not heterosexual missionary position sex, while homosexual has much more refined scope. Not *exact*, but much more precise.

I think nothing in spoken language is *exact*, but it would be nice if some people wouldn't try to dilute it even further, into meaningless babble. No-one is offended, but also data content drops to zero.

See: Any professional politician: A lot of talk, zero content. Extreme cases: Trump, Johnson.

Then some people it's *good thing* and a *goal*. The f**k?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Victim culture"

A tad rich from people who have started a whole culture-war because they don't like some words in their math textbooks ;)

If your maths textbooks has words it's not maths it's just arithmetic

3. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Hmm. Experiment I want to see. The text of 1984 after it's been parsed through Google's woke-checker.

4. katrinab Silver badge
    Unhappy

Not a good suggestion

'For example, it proposed replacing the word "landlord" with "property owner" or "proprietor."'

All landlords are property owners, but not all property owners are landlords. "Proprietor" is a different thing altogether - the owner of an unincorporated business.

May I suggest "rent seeker" as a suitable gender-neutral term?

1. Warm Braw

Re: Not a good suggestion

It certainly avoids historically misogynist attitudes to acceptable parentage.

More seriously, I think the concern here is that, as spoken communications are increasingly replaced by written communications, a very small number of vast private international corporations are in a position to mediate our conversations and dictate the language in which they are held.

I suspect IBM's CEO has missed the point: the problem is not that we can't process the vast amount of data we now have, the problem is that we have the data in the first place, collected on the off-chance it might turn out to be useful.

The solution to this is not technology, it's rigorous regulation.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

In fact "landlords" are not necessarily property owners. We still refer to pub tenants as landlords.

Also, where property is sublet the occupant's landlord won't be the owner.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

"In fact "landlords" are not necessarily property owners. We still refer to pub tenants as landlords."

And that's very regional. In the US, the term "landlord" isn't used when speaking of the owner/operator of a drinking establishment. There is the term "property manager" which is often somebody or a firm hired to manage rental properties. The PM could be the owner, but then they'd likely be referred to as the "owner".

I see forcing a shift in the use of words as very problematic. Usage shifts over time naturally as circumstances change and years down the road many people will misinterpret the meaning of something due to a different word definition. Look at the N-word; if a caucasian person uses it, it's racist. When darker skinned people use it, it's just a cultural thing. When people are fired for using a word that has race based usage constraints, that's a problem.

3. Mike 137 Silver badge

"May I suggest "rent seeker" as a suitable gender-neutral term?

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for 'landlord' when they are called that because they run a pub in the UK. Indeed a pub landlord may actually be a rent payer for the licensed premises.

It's probably never going to be possible to find a universally applicable alternative to any word, given the fluid and context dependent nature of language. Even a simple word such as "badly" can indicate either poor performance or the opposite: "singing badly" v. "bruised badly".

1. A____B
        Facepalm

Even a simple word such as "badly" can indicate either poor performance or the opposite: "singing badly" v. "bruised badly".

To say nothing of:

"My hair badly needs cutting" vs "My hair needs cutting badly".

If it's the latter case, I'll offer to do it for you at a reduced price :-)

There are cases in English where word order matters.

And for a language with a relatively large vocabulary (at least when compared against other European languages) with many nuances near synonyms, we do suffer from a lot of overloading multiple meanings on some common words.

Given the US Centric development it's possibly understandable, but irony and sarcasm (which are widely used in the UK) would be hard for some AI to detect, leading to all sorts of misunderstandings.

~~~~

It's possibly apocryphal, but I recollect reports that earlier versions of MS Word wanting to change "pregnant woman" to "pregnant person".

I wonder what it would do with "pregnant pause".

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

gravid hesitation?

4. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

> it proposed replacing the word "landlord"

In an interview with the Admiral from the Falklands Special Military Operation who is now "First Sea Lord".

He was saying that some army bod was complaining that they don't get such good titles as the navy. The sailor explained that the Army equivalent would presumably be "First Landlord" and that might not be quite as respected

5. Bitsminer Silver badge

May I suggest "rent seeker" as a suitable gender-neutral term?

No, actually "rent seeking" is a technical term used by economists. Some people like to repurpose the phrase in an (often) pejorative sense. Check any entry on HN with the phrase....

The problem Google is failing to understand is that English speakers use certain words because they have useful definitions, and are therefore useful. Making words un-useful is unhelpful.

Presumably rent-seeking is an admiring term from economists !

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Surely "rent seeker'" is someone who looks for tears in one's clothing?

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

rent sucker, more like...

5. a pressbutton

say the unsayable

It looks like Google has one global 'right' answer here atm.

I am sure it will occur to them that this is not a spellchecker.

So they will attempt to segment the models...

...This can lead into a reverse facebook echochamber hell - your language will be corrected into more and more extreme shapes.

Just as people easily fall down rabbit holes of watching things with increasingly erm 'odd' views

I am sure people easily fall down rabbit holes of saying things with increasingly erm 'odd' speech

1. b0llchit Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: say the unsayable

It looks like Google has one global 'right' answer here atm.

Google must already know what you are going to write! It has been analyzing you for many years and knows you. Google should take the next logical step and cut out the user completely while writing. Google knows how to write neutral. Google knows what you want to write. Google knows all. Let google do the writing for you and you only need to press "send". Problem solved.

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Or go one step further and cut the end user out completely. We can go back to talking to actual humans and using whatever language we see fit, and Google can sit in it's own little play pen talking to itself. We could even check back in on it in a few years and see if it's still capable of forming sentences.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The PR industry has, of course, used such a system for years. Tell it what has befallen your company and it will select appropriate meaningless phrases from its stock of "Only a few users/customers were/are affected", "We take your security very seriously" etc.

6. theOtherJT Silver badge

Linguistics don't have a solution...

"We're currently in a crisis period, where we lack the ethical capacity to solve this problem."

No, you have asserted the existence of a problem that doesn't exist, this is why you are unable to "solve" it.

7. a pressbutton

know the unknowable

Alternatively, if enough data can be obtained on the sender and receiver, it is possible to generate something that is appropriate.

Just think what you could do with something that generated language fitted to your ears modeled as being from a trusted source

Godwins law in 7 comments.

Re: know the unknowable

You only need to understand the receiver. A fundamental rule about communication is that what is communicated is that which is received, not that which is transmitted. The living proof of this is those in sales and marketing who are unable to grasp that what they transmit as meaningful marketing messages is received as spam.

1. a pressbutton

In this context you need to

-persuade the sender to actually send

-and also the receiver to do what you want.

Your comment implies the sender is the writer. Not so, Google is the writer and unless you send, there is no point.

2. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

"A fundamental rule about communication is that what is communicated is that which is received, not that which is transmitted."

Not everybody agrees with that. See "authorial intent".

Or perhaps a better counter-argument: Suppose two people hear my speech, one of them a savant and the other an idiot. Afterwards one of them understands my speech in the way I intended, and the other one understands my speech entirely differently. For the purposes of evaluating the quality of my speech, does it matter to you which person is which?

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

@yetanotheraoc

It depends which was your intended audience. Your responsibility as a communicator is to consider your audience. And if you need to address both you need to consider how to manage this too.

"It depends which was your intended audience. Your responsibility as a communicator is to consider your audience. And if you need to address both you need to consider how to manage this too."

You might use that as a argument for a law that can be called the "Beavis and Butthead" law. Every communicator needing to dumb down their presentation for the least intelligent/educated person in the audience.

I agree that there is some merit in tailoring information to match the intended audience, but that can't mean the dumbest person in the room. I like reading/listening to things that are at least slightly over my head. If I'm not learning anything, what's the point in paying attention?

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

I didn't say it did. "Intended audience". Who do you intend your well polished words for? Is it for a specific segment, or for wider consumption? What is your intended outcome? What do you need to achieve?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inclusive writing auto-correct

One feature I definitely won't be using. I've published a couple of novels already and working on my third. The last thing I need is for something to interrupt the flow when I'm mid-sentence. It sounds worse and more annoying than Clippy.

Re: Inclusive writing auto-correct

"One feature I definitely won't be using. I've published a couple of novels already and working on my third. The last thing I need is for something to interrupt the flow when I'm mid-sentence."

I'm the same way. The auto-fill features are way too distracting. For the sorts of things I write, they are rarely useful.

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Our technology is always improving, and we don't yet (and may never) have a complete solution to identifying and mitigating all unwanted word associations and biases."

Not adding unwanted words and phrases would be a good start.

10. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"We are only probably 10 per cent of the journey in [artificial intelligence]"

But we'll get there in 10 years.

1. b0llchit Silver badge
      Trollface

I see you have been writing from the future again. It must be nice to write these comments with hindsight.

Of course hindsight says 10 years. It's always been 10 years.

11. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"AI-powered system designed to help people write punchier documents more quickly."

A system which provides the writer with anodyne words & phrases might succeed with "more quickly" but will certainly fail with "punchier".

1. eldakka

> but will certainly fail with "punchier"

That's a good point, because particular words/phrases could be being used deliberately for their specific effect.

e.g.: "All the policemen - because of course there were no police women present - were terribly denigrating at the scene."

So, would we expect this google feature to change (or constantly annoy me butting in with it's suggestions) the sentence to:

"All the police officers - because of course there were no police officers present - were terribly denigrating." ?

As someone writing something, especially something at least semi-formal, you should be able to recognise if language being used isn't appropriate, and make the active decision to go looking for better language, by for example, highlighting it and choosing a 'thesaurus'-type function to give a choice of other phrases. If you don't realise that you should be using alternative language to go looking for those alternatives, either it is a situation that it doesn't matter - dashing off a quick casual text to people you are familiar with - or a situation where the reciever of that communication may want to know that you can't recognise that. For example, a job opportunity, where the potential employer would want the 'unvarnished' communication to stand to help them assess the sort of person the author is.

Now you've pushed me into an area familiar from long ago - composing formal witness statements based on scientific evidence. About 40 years ago a colleague and I fantasised about a system into which we could feed data and get out terms ranging from "Could not be..." via "Not entirely inconsistent with..", "Consistent with.." etc to "Is...".

Shortly after that I went for a job interview including a psychological assessment which consisted of a tick-box questionnaire. As far as I could make out the processes was as follows. The questions, which were not as context free as the systems devisers probably thought, were weighted for various traits. The system carried out a multidimensional analysis based on this and then attempted to fit a further set of axes such as creativity on this space. Finally it spat out a series of (in my case complementary) phrases based on the scores on those axes.

My colleague and I were very impressed by this. But I still didn't get the job.

12. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
    Stop

Just wait

Artificial Intelligence, seeing as it learns from human behaviour, will soon start objecting to the work 'artificial' as it implies something fake and inferior. Might we suggest "Structured Hybrid Intelligence Technology"

I would suggest "Semiconductor" as the first word, but the "semi" would cause offence by implying inadequacies.

1. Evil Scot

Re: Just wait

Reminded me of the chocolate factory's translation for my reason for my imminent delayed arrival at cinema.

"City drivers and city traffic"

Dear readers it was a transmitted from a provincial town.

2. dajames

I would suggest "Semiconductor" as the first word, but the "semi" would cause offence by implying inadequacies.

Might I suggest "Silicon", then?

The first two syllables, at least, sound appropriate.

1. martinusher Silver badge

>Might I suggest "Silicon", then?

That's discriminating against other potential incomplete conductors such as germanium. (It doesn't help that a semiconductor might be an insulator or a conductor depending on how doped up it is....)

>The first two syllables, at least, sound appropriate.

Too deep for American corporate thinking. Honestly.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

... not to mention the implied, deeply offensive combination of silly + con...

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

the "semi" would cause offence by implying inadequacies.

And, of course, music should not be written with notes shorter than quavers.

Oh dear, "quaver" sounds a bit inadequate as well. And "crotchet" sounds altogether to much like "crotchety" (other offences are available to be taken). "Minim" sounds inadequate as well and "semi-breve" brings up the original problem. Non-offensive music is going to be a bit slow and rhythmically dull.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Sweepstake...

How long before we spot an El Reg article which has been 'enhanced' by this tech?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We all work for Google now...

I have always turned off those autospelling and grammar correct features in Word, because they caused more work correcting the corrections than proofreading my own mistakes (mainly technical documents). If Google are "harvesting" those corrections from their users, then not only are we being exploited as free labour to train their AI, but there is also the danger that current criteria of acceptability will become fixed as norms by a sort of self reinforcing silo effect. Google will become a method of censorship - doubleplusungood!

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Re: We all work for Google now...

"I have always turned off those autospelling and grammar correct features in Word, because they caused more work correcting the corrections than proofreading my own mistakes"

Indeed so. The Word spellchecker believes that "fro" (mistyped "for") is a valid word.

It is. Would you just say "to and"?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Don't forget "run a comb through my"

2. katrinab Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

But it is a valid word

15. Tim99 Silver badge
    Coat

IBM: Ethics is a major roadblock to enterprises adopting AI technology

IBM might think that Ethics is a foundry campus in Vermont that they paid someone $1.5 Billion to take off their hands? Apparently it is now fully booked and pumping out as many semiconductors as it can (Vermont Public Radio).

Re: IBM: Ethics is a major roadblock to enterprises adopting AI technology

Interesting, scrolling down that article. It gets to a point of comparing States' grants to large corporations. If non-US countries take such measures they get sanctioned. Where are the ethics in that?

1. Mike 16

Re: State Grants

I can't help but wonder if corporations looking for new sites for expansion have become a bit more cautious, considering how concessions to Disney to "grease the wheels" for development in Orlando could be ended "with the stroke of a pen".

In general, promises by governments, to both the corporation and residents (new jobs, lots of infrastructure, no taxes, whoopee!) can be about as real as your cousin absolutely planning on paying back that money your lent them, real soon now...

16. Enric Martinez

Nice! Another nifty feature to disable. What's not to love!

1. Psmo

But they'll reactivate every T&C change keep moving the off switch.

17. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

A simple question for all wannabe chiefs and puppet leaders alike to answer to justify support.

But Krisha admitted businesses are facing hurdles related to machine-learning models often being biased or the technology being used unfairly.

An admission/submission by Krisha that AI would correct saying the hurdles facing machine-learning models are related to businesses being biased and those businesses wanting to use the technology unfairly.

However, to imagine that as a hurdle for model learning machines and AI has one self-identified/self-identifying as being at that level of intelligence, which whenever present and used currently for power and energy, comfort and succour, is being bypassed, surpassed and replaced with the necessary seeds to feed and grow with others of an altogether more advanced and civilised intelligence?

18. scrubber

IBM Ethics?

Weren't they a key supplier to a certain Boss uniformed group of Germans in the 1930's?

19. Spanners Silver badge
    Alert

I found that I am in a "protected" group.

As a 62-year-old, middle class, white male I was surprised to find people want to protect me too! I have had epilepsy since I was 16.

A few years ago, I was in a training session. At one point we were about to split into little groups and start "brainstorming" until someone said that the term was offensive to people who had certain neurological conditions. I spoke up and said that the phrase was not offensive to me but treating me like a moody toddler was. We then agreed to do some brainstorming...

It was the look of horror I got on someone's face when I stated that I was the only person in the IT department who could do a BSOD without a computer that really made me laugh though!

20. Twanky

we can solve all of those issues

"We've got some issues. We've got to solve ethics. We've got to make sure that all of the mistakes of the past don't repeat themselves. We have got to understand the life science of AI. Otherwise we are going to create a monster. I am really optimistic that if we pay attention, we can solve all of those issues," he said.

Hubris.

21. martinusher Silver badge

The problem is with American English

Americans don't really understand English English for the most part. They think it sounds 'educated' because even semi-literate oiks like myself use words in everyday speech that are unknown to them. In fact, if you come to live here you'll need to dial down you're language usage if you want to be understood (or not misunderstood). A language that lacks nuance then has to invent words to express itself, hence American corporate-speak and its dreadful PC offshoots. This then gets impressed on 'the rest of the world' because the primacy of English is really the primacy of American that's enforced through widely used software.

One thing that is worth bearing in mind is that Americans tend to be very literal. They will decode what you're as if they're compiler front-end and grade accordingly with no allowance for cultural context or intent. This explains the idea that you can use a rules based production system (what they've called "AI") to try to guide everyone towards a bland form of politically correct NewSpeak.

There are exceptions to the rule, obviously. You will come across Americans who are well read and well versed in the subtleties of our language. But when you have an educational system that has a very narrow focus and rewards conformity the majority's understanding will be rather robotic. (Now, will someone explain why this crap got imported into, and embraced by, the UK?)

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: The problem is with American English

I can explain one part of it. Our educational system- or rather the people who ultimately fund and control it- for at least a generation, has been deeply influenced by American Behaviourist theories of Education. The assumption that everything can be taught by breaking it down into independent blocks of information and learnt accordingly. It's an attractive approach for people who think everything can be tested and measured in modules, with progress being linear and independent of other components*. Whereas Cognitive approaches to teaching and learning tend to be much more messy and much harder to measure or explain to the lay person. Politicians want to be seen promoting something simple and familiar (" traditional"). Which is why rote teaching multiplication tables all the way to 12x12 is now mandated in a country that is mostly using base 10. And the kids are already taught how to partition numbers so can easily manage to multiply numbers >10. It is also why testing of the tables is mandated- even though making learning tables by rote a high stakes test item actually makes teaching them less successful for a significant number of kids- especially, of course the ones who are less good at decontextualised list learning.

*e.g. Teaching reading by breaking words into sounds (Phonics) and putting them back together again, without referring to the meaning or context. Easy to teach, easy to measure, profitable for publishers,attractive for politicians because it appears simple and obvious- but wrong. That just isn't what we do when we read. It's helpful, but that's all.

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Times tables really teach you the patterns (factors of 12, 3x8=6x4 etc.,) and helps with estimation. Kids with no tables will find mental maths harder, and produce more calculator-fumble mistakes.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Yes. But the issue isn't the tables ( though factors of 12 another matter). It's rote learning for all, with high stakes testing.

Some kids will learn the tables with a different approach. Including supporting them with a tables square and getting them to recite individual multiplications as they discover them- rather than in a listed sequence. Or teaching them half the table and its mirror, rather than chanting through from 1x2 to 10x10 ( or 12x12- sigh!).

Some will even learn better by learning fewer then calculating from smaller multiples to bigger ones. Remembering them by usage rather than recital. It's the government mandated rote-learning-then-fail-a-test, come what may approach that is the issue.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this a Stasi Clippy on steriods?

Phoning home with your authored content, ostensibly to look for suggestions, but secretly logging your innovative ideas, and then reporting you to the Thought Police?

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you write that."

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given this is of of the most powerful entities on the planet in charge, who is anti union and quite willing to kowtow to the whims of authoritarian repressive governments, this is not a good thing.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

OTOH a site where self-centred egotists roost is probably the ideal location for him. And if he kills this golden egg laying goose, so be it.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Artificial thinking needed

""The only technique we know that can harvest insight from the data, is artificial intelligence. "

Ehhehe. This guy is nuts if he actually believes that.

What he calls AI, is neural network which doesn't *know* anything. It's, in a simplified form, a curve fitting problem. What you get, is *very* approximate result of fuzzy logic no-one can explain nor verify, even if you asked. Run same data again and you get different result, too.

Therefore any "insight" is as easily utter bullshit than correct. And there's literally no way to know which one, as there's a literal black box spewing a result.

If we actually had artificial thinking, AT, it would be totally different. But we don't.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"landlord" ... yes.

In Queen's English we have Lords and Ladies, but in simplified English 'lord' isn't really a gender-spesific term (outside official context), so landlord doesn't really refer solely to a male, but to anyone who happens to have a rental. Be it a male, female or corporation. doesn't matter.

Non-native speaker here so that might be all wrong, though. ;) (Buyer beware and at this point dictionary is meaningless, semantic problem.)

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

It's a strange one. "Landlord" has come to mean any property owner who rents out the premises. Which could be corporate ownership, not just an individual. Or could be a publican, presumably because once they would have owned an inn, and rented rooms/stables etc. to travellers.

"Landlady" has, at least until recently being a woman who rented out full-board lodgings or, again, a publican.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like