back to article Samsung, others test drive Esperanto's 1,000-core RISC-V AI chip

Samsung's IT services arm and other companies are said to be testing out a processor that sports more than 1,000 general-purpose RISC-V cores to deliver what the chip's designer claims is faster and more energy-efficient AI inference performance than power-hungry specialty silicon. The chip designer, Esperanto Technologies, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, if I won the lottery, I'd be on an "evaluation" system in no time. I've really got an urge to play with RISC-V based silicon, and this is a very different beast than traditional CPUs, so it would be a gas to experiment with. I see no reason VMWare couldn't support this "chip" as one of the fattest workload systems to hit the data centers to date - who other than SPARC ever came close to 1000 general purpose cores in the past? And SPARC was no where near close; they just focused on a plethora of low-power cores running webloads.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Go

VMWare would be happy to run ESXi on here. Then charge you licensing per core. :P

2. YetAnotherJoeBlow

Me too...

ditto

3. Tom 7

A bit late?

Is that a bit late on their schedule or are there other >1000 64 bit low power core chips that I could get hold of?

1. Justthefacts Silver badge

Re: A bit late?

Very late indeed. Yes, there are many hugely more powerful chips you could be buying. Everything is horses for courses.

This one is specifically being touted assessed for *inference*. Okey-doke, well that’s quite a specific workload, NVidia A100 does nicely on that workload. The EtSoC1 mounts 1000 cores @128 INT8 Ops/cycle, @2GHz, which is 256 TOPS. A100 mounts is achieving 620 TOPS even without sparsity and Hopper is treble that. The EtSoC isn’t going to trouble any scoreboard with that.

Oh, you meant 1000 *general purpose cores that can run Linux*? Bait-and-switch…..Well, if you’re expecting general purpose, you’re going to be sadly disappointed. First off, they’ve got *blocks of eight cores sharing each 32kB L1 instruction cache*. Each two-core pair only has round-robin access to its instruction cache once per four cycles. Think how crippled that cache bandwidth is. Basically, *unless* it’s running the tight-loop matrix-multiply, only a quarter of the 1000 cores can even execute any instructions, and even then they have to be running perfectly optimised coordinated dual core assembler to avoid stepping on each other’s toes. So in reality it’s 128core single-issue, where each of those cores is roughly half the oomph of an x86.

And no, I haven’t even started on how crippled this chip actually is for general purpose Linux, because wait till you find out that the L2 cache is just 1MB per 8 cores. And that there’s no cache coherency implemented.

Oh, you meant “open source core” did you? Bait-and-switch again…… Esperanto core is about as proprietary as it gets. They’ve implemented proprietary instructions, as anticipated by RISCV standard. Not just are they not open-sourcing those, *they require an NDA signing to find out what those do*.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thanks for the details; that derails my thinking, and just shows how companies over-state the capabilities of their products.

So I guess it is Arm64 or Amd64 architectures if you want proper general-purpose processing.

What I really hate are these new "mixed mode" consumer/gaming CPUs. That used to drive the low-end workstation processor market; with that move, I'm forced to "upgrade" to a processor that is likely to cost $3-5000 for the next box instead of $500-1000. What ever happened to the middle ground pricing tiers for high core counts?

2. Tom 7

No I dont want one to run Linux, I want one to run AI. And I want RISC-V not nvidia tensor which will be astronomically expensive compared to this I would imagine.. And I have no idea why you are getting on your high pony.

1. Justthefacts Silver badge

Well, as it’s a factor of 3x-8x non-competitive to NVidia for AI TOPS. As for TOPS/$, why do you think it would be cheaper than NVidia Tensor? This is fabbed in 7nm, being pitched against Hopper 4nm. This chip is giant silicon area, it’s going to be stupid expensive.

https://www.eetimes.com/wp-content/uploads/Esperanto-Glacier-Point.jpg

And even more importantly, NVidia has much more pricing power with TSMC than Esperanto. Esperanto will be paying at least double per mm2.

But in one way, you’re right. There’s no need to guess. Amazon are assessing, and if this chip is price-competitive they will buy. You should see Esperanto splash the design win on their website within the next quarter, here.

https://www.esperanto.ai/news/

Watch that space. ROFL.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Devil

> I want RISC-V not nvidia tensor which will be astronomically expensive compared to this I would imagine [ ... ]

If this Esperanto thing becomes somewhat viable, it will also become just as astronomically expensive as NVIDIA.

Free and (somewhat) open RISC-V ISA Spec does not translate to cheap silicon implementation.

The business model around AI/ML in Silicon Valley is centered around getting a big slice cut out of NVIDIA's money pie. Not much else.

The VC's are in it for a reason, and it has nothing to do with cheap or less expensive.

3. BOFH in Training

Good details. This blows a hole on running a web server with 1000 threads on a single chip.

They may still find a place in ML, if they are priced accordingly. So if they are 1/3 the cost of an A100, and cheaper to run (20 watts for the chip compared to how many 100s of watts for the A100?).

Maybe edge computing when there may be a requirement to be more power efficient?

4. Francis King

There have been so many of these chips with a massive number of cores. Parallela had one designed: https://parallella.org/2016/10/05/epiphany-v-a-1024-core-64-bit-risc-processor/. Each time the same problem - with that many cores, each core doesn't get much cache memory.

Great headline though.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Intel ships a few hundred cores on one of their boards, but they're really low power cores and couldn't be used for general workloads as effectively as RISC-IV.

4. chairman_of_the_bored
    Joke

Opera

Sam was asked not to sing, but Samsung anyway. I'll get my coat...

5. Mike 137 Silver badge

"a processor that sports more than 1,000 general-purpose RISC-V cores"

A faster Transputer array on a chip?

I recently found on my library shelf the 1986 Inmos draft Transputer reference manual. Sadly, although risc and exhaustively interconnectable, the Transputers never really took off. Sometimes it takes decades for a good idea to be finally realised.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "a processor that sports more than 1,000 general-purpose RISC-V cores"

I have a transputer board. I used to work on some financial modelling software which could use them. We stopped when you needed £30K of transputers to match £2K of PII, Fascinating to work on programming them though. I think the programming model still has something to teach us these days.

2. Francis King

Re: "a processor that sports more than 1,000 general-purpose RISC-V cores"

"Sometimes it takes decades for a good idea to be finally realised."

They could do that now - a cut-down motherboard with a modern AMD/Intel processor, soldered on memory, serial channels - it's such an obvious idea, I suspect that someone has already done this.

6. John Savard

Impressed

I am amazed that someone is able to fit 1,004 processors on a single die. (Or should that be 1,028 processors?) (EDIT: I see it's 1,092 processors, 1,088 plus 4.) I didn't realize this was even possible yet.

I could be understanding it wrong, but it seems to me that only the four high-performance processors can access off-chip memory. So this chip is sort of like the CELL processor from IBM, except that all the cores have the same instruction set.

7. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Maybe a media codec chip

This might make for a great software defined media codec chip. All of the pattern searching to efficiently compress natural media takes so much computational power that it needs limitations to be practical. A chip like could improve the quality per bitrate in live 4K video recording. It could probably improve playback quite a bit too.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Specialty?

" a processor that sports more than 1,000 general-purpose RISC-V cores to deliver what the chip's designer claims is faster and more energy-efficient AI inference performance than power-hungry specialty silicon."

Eh, maybe i was sleeping and am now splitting hairs, but 1,000+ cores on a single chip still doesn't qualify as "specialty silicon"? In whose dictionary?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like