back to article Kaspersky cracks Yanluowang ransomware, offers free decryptor

Kaspersky has found a vulnerability in the Yanluowang ransomware encryption algorithm and, as a result, released a free decryptor tool to help victims of this software nasty recover their files. Yanluowang, named after a Chinese deity and underworld judge, is a type of ransomware that has been used against financial …

1. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

As Kaspersky has been deemed persona non grata in the USA

... the USA should not use Kaspersky's decryptor tool. Alternatively the price for USA companies to use Kaspersky's tools should be $500,000,000.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As Kaspersky has been deemed persona non grata in the USA

Why? The company will oulive the current Russian government, that would be the worst thing they could do.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They may outlive the current Russian government, but the mistrust that that government has created will live on.

1. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Nobody anywhere trusts the American government. Agreements are not worth the time and paper.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

As an citizen of the USA (America is a continent not a country) I trust No government. Why - because I have access to information from any place. As much as I detest some of the people running the poop show, it's still better than living in most of the rest of the planet. I would prefer life is better for Everyone, and maybe some day if we can get communicating and information to be free and available to everyone, it will be. But honestly - not holding my breath, to many greedy dictators that would rather burn everything than lose their power over others.

1. martinusher Silver badge

I think you're making the mistake that many Americans make of believing your own propaganda. Its true that our freedoms are enshrined in our Bill of Rights but these rights aren't absolute because even on the Internet we have information gatekeepers. Other countries' and customs vary but the only difference between, for example, the US and the UK is that the libel laws in the UK don't have a 'public interest' exemption.

Its also easy to over estimate the power of 'dictators' which overlooks the overwhelming propaganda effect of popular culture. Control is exercised not by restricting the flow of information but by drowning out unwelcome messages in a torrent of friendly material. Its this material that pushes the narrative of the all seeing, all knowing, all watching dictator (which is really no different from having a homeowner's association breathing down your neck, ready to drop a dime on you for deviating from normal thinking and behavior).

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Whilst I think Trump is a nut job & wouldn’t vote for him, I was really concerned in the run up to the last US presidential elections when social media started censoring his posts and then the media giants drowned him out by either not reporting about him or by over reporting Biden & under reporting Biden’s problems.

The US main stream media and social media colluding against a popular, by virtue of him winning the previous vote, candidate should never happen.

The US had 2 bad popular choices & chose the one promoted by the media.

I don’t follow US politics but seeing him give a speech with bird poo on his shoulder

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/biden-pooped-bird-inflation-iowa-b2056775.html

then another where he shakes the invisible man’s hand

https://www.independent.ie/videos/moment-joe-biden-appears-to-shake-invisible-persons-hand-41558747.html

, then watching him being upstaged in his own house by Obama (not many he wouldn’t upstage) doesn’t fill me with confidence Biden is of sound mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg4Sxhr8qv8

1. ghp

Compared to what was before him, Biden's mind is rock solid.

2. Not Entered

Post something intelligent next time instead of bullsh1t from your friends on FaecesBook.

Seriously!

2. fidodogbreath

Its true that our freedoms are enshrined in our Bill of Rights but these rights aren't absolute because even on the Internet we have information gatekeepers.

The US Constitution constrains what the Federal government can and cannot do. Most (if not all) Internet gatekeepers are private companies.

Look no further than the massive data slurp that private surveillance capitalism companies do evey second of every day, but which the government could not do* without court orders and warrants.

* Assuming the government follows its own laws, which is not always the case.

2. DrXym

Why? Because using Kaspersky is like allowing a mental patient to shave your balls.

1. DrXym

5 thumbs down from people who think it a great idea to use software from a hostile adversary to protect their computer.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

It seems our choices are limited to hostile adversaries and friendly adversaries.

1. DrXym

A pretty obvious choice then isn't it? People who use Kaspersky at this moment in time with the threat of cyber attacks looming are off their rocker. Any company or individual with a lick of sense would have uninstalled it by now.

1. Not Entered

I use Kaspersky (I paid for it so it's not going anywhere until it's license runs out) but I also use Malwarebytes professional (which also isn't going anywhere until it's license runs out).

If you think Kaspersky is in cahoots with Putin or the Russian state you're a deluded idiot.

2. DrXym

4 thumbs down from idiots who still can't figure out what the problem may be with Russian software on their computers.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

I thought the going rate was one meeelion dollars?

3. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

I would assume that you'd be happy if settlement according to your formula is deferred until after Russia has compensated Ukraine and Ukrainians for the damage they have done and are doing? And obviously the same applies to damages owed to Chechnya, Georgia and Syria....

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

Note to Kaspersky: continue to move out of Russia, Install your HQ in Switzerland, or else your business will be over.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

agreed, it's so sad that governments (ego tripping idiots) ruin so many lives out of personal greed.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this competition between malware operators we're now seeing? Russia needs income from it's malware providers therefore is competing with the Nork's by eliminating the effect of them?

Kaspersky is not a company I wish to do business with until such time at least that Putin has been removed, and maybe not even then.

It is unfortunate because as a product line up and research outfit they have quite an effective history. Also links to the FSB of course, therefore sub-zero trust.

1. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

Puton is the real problem, not the Russians themselves. And, Puton has at least one 1 million dollar bounty on his head - to be paid by a different Russian. Thr thing to remember about the Russians is they can still disappear for saying the wrong thing, as Puton is a throwback to the old USSR, and rebuilding the USSR is his main goal here.

If Puton and the rest of the top gummit officials disappear, we can probably welcome Russia back, and can probably make handing over their nuke stockpile a condition of being allowed back into the fold.

1. David Nash Silver badge

You might be making some valid points but ruined it with childish misspellings.

And as for your last point about nukes - dream on, even the most west-friendly Russian (or any) government is not going to give them up unilaterally.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
          Mushroom

Ukraine?

See title.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

A bi-lateral reduction with agreement with both sides is, and always a valid route to improve co-operation and de-escalate.

The Gremlin in the Kremlin has no interest in de-escalation due to Ukraine's potential to become a competing petro-chemical state in Europe. Indeed; they have been actively escalating, by developing nuclear-fuelled cruise missiles; as well as that deep-sea submersible dirty bomb system. Both have extreme range, low detectability and very long loiter time that have only served to escalate tensions.

So it falls to the local population to decide what they want, and what they are prepared to do about it.

Russia knows it can't make money forever off oil; and hasn't a bloody clue what to do about it.

2. Not Entered

Who is this Puton you speak of ? Surely you mean Putain

4. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

There are 10 kinds of people...

"Then think about intrusion detection, regular backups, restoration planning and processes, network segmentation, patching strategies, security breach notifications and reporting, investigations, and more."

[1] ...those who sigh "Good list, we're working on it but will never be there."

[10] ...those who shout "No! Why can't _you_ idiots make a computer that just works?"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like