back to article Amazon opens MASSIVE AI speech dataset so Alexa can speak your language

Amazon released an open-source speech dataset supporting 51 languages on Wednesday, encouraging developers to build more third-party apps and services for its AI speaker device Alexa. Speech recognition and natural language understanding (NLU) algorithms have steadily improved, paving the way for voice-activated digital …

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

What I want

is something based on this technology + a chat bot that I can feed cold callers to, so it wastes their time for as long as possible.

1. innominatus

Re: What I want

Lenny?

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

HHGTTG

> "Imagine that all people around the world could use voice AI systems like Alexa in their native tongues,"

To quote the good book about universal translation:

“Meanwhile, the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different races and cultures, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.”

3. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    FAIL

STFU!

Pretty much all any Speech AI needs to understand. In every language, of course.

4. Scott Broukell

Note to self:

Noate Tu Seylf - Wyen inthye huse suche devise es seyn, I doth speyk æn Elde Englyshe tongues fram now on then.

1. Peter Mount
      Joke

Re: Note to self:

Obligatory XKCD https://xkcd.com/1807/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Note from the past

Brilliant, but you're only buying time mate.

On a long enough timeline they will build an interpreter for Linear B and the subtler inflections of the Nesite accent vs the urbane tones of the "new capitol hipsters" in the more modern(~1330BC!) Hattusan argot.

As an alternate, just hang around the local carpark and soak up whatever oomny govoreet the nadstat are skazat till you pony it. Just smot the millicent as they ++untolerate malchick zooks.

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Note to self:

Not helped by the training data set for Scots

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Great?

For everyone who uses Alexa, speaks like a newsreader, and avoids slang and argot.

For real people, not so much.

To paraphrase Steve Jobs: "you're talking to it wrong."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like