back to article Elon Musk won't join Twitter's board after all

SpaceX and Tesla tycoon Elon Musk won't be joining Twitter's board, despite last week revealing he had acquired a 9.2 per cent stake in the microblogging service. News of the change of heart came in a tweet from Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal, who got straight to the point: "Elon has decided not to join our board. I sent a brief …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Elon Musk

wouldn't want any binding constraints on his maximal free speech.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Elon Musk

This. Musk has already discovered with Tesla that people who run publicly listed companies do not have the right to maximum free speech. Becoming a board director at Twitter would very likely have further limited his right to free speech.

Secondly, if Musk's 'vision' was to let Donald Trump, the Proud Boys, the Oath Keepers and various terrorist organisations back on Twitter, while the investigations and trials for last year's coup attempt are still ongoing, that could have a disastrous effect on Twitter's capacity to do business.

1. razzaDazza1234

Every. Single. Word. Of. Yours. I. Downvote.

2019 called and they want their trends back.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

If he wants to remove constraints on his speech he has to remove himself from positions of authority in publicly traded companies. Until he does that he will continue to need adult supervision on the internet.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Elon Musk The real reason

It's not the binding of his free speech.

It's the binding of his maximum stock ownership.

I assume he plans to buy Twitter outright eventually.

For an analysis of his SEC filings with appropriate sections highlighted see

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/11/23020118/elon-musk-twitter-schedule-13d-social-media-board-of-directors-sec

2. cantankerous swineherd

won't be on the board but will be on the phone.

1. Amentheist
      Mushroom

Hopefully not while driving one of his cars in "autopilot" mode.

1. UCAP Silver badge
        Trollface

Hopefully not while driving one of his cars in "autopilot" mode

Musk seems to be convinced that Tesla "autopilot" mode is the best thing since sliced bread, so why shouldn't he use it all the time? Particularly while spouting forth on his mobile.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

"Musk [..] found nearly $3 billion with which to buy a slab of Twitter"

He has the right to waste his money in any way he sees fit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Musk [..] found nearly $3 billion with which to buy a slab of Twitter"

Considering that $3B is now worth $3.5B, I wouldn't call it that much of a waste.

1. DS999 Silver badge

It will be a waste if he buys enough stock to eventually take it over, and makes "maximal free speech" the law of the land. Its value will collapse as it slowly becomes a toxic hellscape like Gab (since all the truly toxic people sidelined to Gab will come back to Twitter once Musk pulls the door wide open for people who threaten violence, or worse)

But he has so much money I'm sure he doesn't care, he'll be happy that he can go back to calling people "pedo guy" if they fail to bow down to him properly.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

There's been weeks were I don't add 500 million dollars to my net worth.. Quite a lot of them actually. Hardly a waste of money.

4. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Huh?

1. They discussed it, offered him a seat on the board and were excited about it.

2. They think it's best for the company that he's not going to join the board.

It sounds as though they don't need Musk to make the current board dysfunctional.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think this is what happened.

1) Musk told them he was planning to purchase a significant stake (apparently he held talks with the CEO for a while before it became public and before he purchased).

2) The board had to weigh various conflicts. Do we want an irritant outside the tent pissing in or inside the tent pissing out? Once he purchases the stock, can he be more of a nuisance as a vocal large shareholder or as a board member? In which position is he of best value to the company (considering Musk's primary skill is being a marketing machine but he's also a major liability)?

3) The board figured it was better for them to have Musk muzzled by fiduciary duties and SEC regulations so they offered him a board seat.

4) Once it became clear to Musk what it would really entail to be on the board, what the board demanded in return for his board seat, and what he could no longer do or say about Twitter, either he decided not to pursue it or the board said 'take it or leave it'.

2. S4qFBxkFFg

Also, I think the board seat deal included a prohibition on him owning more than a certain proportion of shares: he may have decided it's simpler to eventually buy 51%.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

I think there's also a paperwork issue. When the purchase was announced, the regulatory filing was for a passive investment. Many regulators have similar rules, ie if you buy a large stake, you're meant to notify the market if it's active or passive, and if it's a prelude to a buyout.

No idea what the SEC penalties would be for becoming actively involved in running your investment would be if the wrong forms were used.

3. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Alien

I interpreted it as:

1. The board discussed it amongst themselves and decided to offer Elon a place.

2. They announced to the media that Elon will join the board.

3. Elon said "err, no thanks. Busy enough as it is. Keep making me money though."

5. DrXym

Dodging a bullet

Twitter probably offered him the place as a sop but in reality he would have created a massive headache if he had joined. How would it go down with shareholders if he was regularly boosting / denegrating crypto (for his own obvious financial benefit), 4am drunk / drug tweets or flat out calling people pedos? What if he crossed the line and said something worthy of a suspension (arguably something he has done many times) and still they refused to act? Their stock price would go up and down like a yoyo and there would be lawsuits galore from shareholders.

Anyway, the Onion says it best about Musk:

https://www.theonion.com/please-like-me-1848674003

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dodging a bullet

Ouch, the Onion doesn't disappoint. And there I was, thinking that I was the only one seeing this.

(anonymous because saying that the world's richest man behind Vladimir Putin is not wearing any clothes is a point best made anonymous).

1. razzaDazza1234

That is good. Really good. I too thought that level of meta-awareness had been stomped out by the 'progressives'.

But then, he isn't THAT bad. He's much better than knobhead Jobs. And... many successful people have a desire to be liked and succeed.

Honestly, I dont think I could do as good a job a Elon as done with all that power and money. I know he drinks deeply from the Tony Stark well, but even so, if I had that power and money, you'd all be dead!!! LOL

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

If I had that kinda money, you'd all be drunk. Sadly, can't afford to sponsor monthly or quarterly vulture drinking contests. But being Musk-rich, I'd also be able to sponsor liver replacements.

2. fandom

The Onion makes it look so easy it is hard to believe there are people in the world who aren't multibillionares yet.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Well, when my plan to introduce the leaf as a global currency come to fruition, we'll all be rich!!!

(Thanks for the idea Doug!)

3. gecho

He is controversial enough as it is. If he became super politically polarizing it could cause serious problems trying to win government contracts for SpaceX.

6. imanidiot Silver badge

Reading between the lines

"Elon has decided not to join our board." --> I suspect this should be read as: After extensive talking I've managed to persuade Elon not to join the board.

7. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

And no ads. The power of corporations to dictate policy is greatly enhanced if Twitter depends on advertising money to survive.

I don't see how he expects Twitter to generate an income then. As I see it, if no advertising revenue, then income would have to come from either (a) subscription model (I don't think enough people would be willing to pay to cover the shortfall in advertising revenue), or (b) mining/analysis/sale of users' data on an obscene level (would enough people be prepared to sign up for that?).

Hmmm...looking at option (b)...yes, there probably are enough stupid/gullible people.

1. fandom

What's the point of mining user data if you don't show them ads?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's easy. There are many "data brokers" that pay good money for data sets. You don't need to run ads yourself (the Google model), you can just sell the data to data brokers that combine, filter and repackage that data to sell on to other companies.

If your data is part of three different data sets then a data broker can combine information about you into a new data set containing more or better info about you. That new data set will be worth more than a sum of its parts.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Mine it well enough and there's enough intelligence in there to tell your customers "Twitter user <x> equates to Facebook user <y> so target them on that platform"

2. FeepingCreature Bronze badge

> I don't see how he expects Twitter to generate an income then.

I mean, it's not like he needs that Twitter profit stream.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

I didn't mean profit, I meant income. Without revenue from advertisers will they be able to bring in enough money to pay for hardware, infrastructure, staff, etc.?

8. Slx

Looks like it’s time to move on from Twitter. It’s been an enjoyable platform but between bots, trolls and now this, I think I’ll be winding down my use of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The admin of one of the world's largest Mastodon servers said that he noticed an increase in sign-ups since the Musk/Twitter announcement. Mastodon is essentially a decentralised version of Twitter.

The aggregated user count of most Mastodon instances (Gab and Trump's Truth.social are also using Mastodon but have chosen to be walled gardens so have disconnected themselves from the global Mastodon network) seems to support that statement.

1. razzaDazza1234

Nice insight. TU

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Windows

"Looks like it’s time to move on from Twitter. It’s been an enjoyable platform but between bots, trolls and now this, I think I’ll be winding down my use of it."

What's Twitter?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A fool and his money…

And other timeless truisms.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Musk is very creative, but he is also a loose cannon. He must have a very good management team behind him taking care of the details of the financial side of things, because his impulsive nature would run through even his billions rather quickly otherwise.

11. RandomOvine

His trip to Mars really can not come soon enough

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@RandomOvine - I suggest we should send him right now

and we'll figure the rest (like human habitat there) while he is en route.

12. Caulk

Tittilation

When another industry giant is shamelessly called "Go ogle", deleting the "w" hardly seems that daring

13. aerogems Silver badge
    Holmes

Wore out his welcome

Seems to me he wore out his welcome before he even started. Probably a bunch of those polls he's been running made the Twitter board think he was just a massive lawsuit waiting to happen.

Sherlock because he'll get to the bottom of the real reason behind the band breaking up before it even formed.

14. Mr Larrington
    FAIL

So it would seem that when George Galloway threw a hissy fit the other day about being labelled “Russian State Affiliated” media by Twitter he was being a bit premature in appealing to Space Karen's better nature* to get the tag removed? Poor George!

* which in his case he has not got

15. JDX Gold badge

"to act in the best interests of the company and all our shareholders."

On that basis he shouldn't be on the board of his own companies half the time :)

16. JDX Gold badge

Loose cannon

Anyone else see a bit of a contradiction in someone buying a communication platform in order to bend it to their own uses and interests, to promote free speech?

Elon's disciples (good god they're tiresome on Twitter) will claim he acts only out of altruism of course.

17. BGatez

F*** that C***

F*** a bunch of elon, enough a holes on twitter as is

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like