back to article Newly released Space Force data could save life on Earth

The US Space Force is publicly releasing nearly 30 years of data on fireball meteors in the hopes it can improve the detection and impact prediction of near-Earth objects (NEOs). The data contains information on bolides, classified as any meteor that has enough mass to become a fireball but not enough to cause a ground impact …

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Pint

I'd buy NASA a beer anytime.

I've always been very impressed with NASA's work in every field, the people working for NASA always make every effort to do a good job (I've done a little work with a few of them years ago) and yes, there have certainly been a few minor issues in the past but every one of them has been fixed quickly.

1. sreynolds

Re: I'd buy NASA a beer anytime.

Their solid booster technology left a little to be desired. Were they using the same supplier as the Minuteman ICBMs?

2. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Mushroom

New Frontiers

God Bless that nice Mr. Trump; I must confess I first assumed his institution of the US Space Force was a manic interlude brought on by his bed-time reading of 1950s comics; but, as ever, his imagination and insight works to protect the world.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: New Frontiers

The whole of the US Space Force existed before Trump as separate units in different military branches. The idea of unifying them had been proposed and investigated before. The idea was rejected because it had no strong benefits and would create a new bureaucracy doing the same things that were already done by the existing branches of the military thus reducing economies of scale.

I do not know who put the idea into Trump's head but once he came out with it the Air Force were first off the mark to get it done. I think the idea was a surprise to the Trump administration and none of them had considered how to profit from it but given time they would have. To prevent that, the Air Force put the plan they had already studied on the table and steered the project that way. The steering was not that hard as the administration in general and Trump in particular did not have a clue about how to merge the various units into a single entity.

Well done to the US Air Force for capturing a Trump Tweet and pinning it to the ground before it became a dumpster fire.

3. TimMaher Silver badge
    Mushroom

Don’t look up

And don’t buy a BASH phone.

4. Tom 7

Real time notification of this stuff would be great.

So if one was going to come down near me I could go out in the rain and watch the clouds light up!

FFS dont use FB like Aurora Watch does - the night-time notices seem to take several hours to come through for some reason and so its always too late to pop out in the rain.

1. NorthIowan

Re: go out in the rain and watch the clouds light up

I had a bigger one come down near me in late 1992.

I was inside so I don't know if it was raining. But reports on the news said people saw the clouds light up. I just remember the big boom. Sounded like a sonic boom from a supper sonic jet.

I looked out the windows to be sure neither of the two big (yard wide) natural gas lines within a mile of the house had a giant fire raging from a leak.

I remember the year because I was changing my first born kids diaper at the time.

1. Tom 7

Re: go out in the rain and watch the clouds light up

Had one that came in during the day off the coast of Cornwall in 2006 . The floor seemed to drop from beneath my feet and all the windows rattled. Noise level 120db+. Quite impressive!!!!

5. aki009

Nonprofit does a lot more to find killers...

These guys are providing excellent bang for the buck:

https://b612foundation.org/

6. An_Old_Dog Silver badge
    Joke

"Planetary Defense Coordination Office"

I want to see their giant Gundams, their nuclear-missile-equipped "Comet Blaster" spacecraft, or whatever other cool things they've got.

1. Sanguma
      Joke

Re: "Planetary Defense Coordination Office"

What! and spoil International Rescue's fun? Next it'll be "Thunderbirds are Stop!" and that won't be any fun at all!!! (Boohoohoo ...)

7. Bitsminer Silver badge

...planetary defense officer Lindley Johnson...

That has to be the coolest job title on Earth.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ...planetary defense officer Lindley Johnson...

Quite. Wonder if his remit is actually limited to "NEO"'s.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like