back to article AMD Threadripper CPU supply severely low, PC makers say

If you've been on the hunt for a pre-built workstation with AMD's Ryzen Threadripper processors, there's a chance you've noticed fewer options available and longer lead times from different PC system builders. That's because supply for Threadripper 3000 and Threadripper Pro 3000 processors has been severely low over the past …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What did the AMD spokesrobot mean by 'CY3Q22'?

1. JassMan

How about: Calendar Year 3rd Quarter 2022

as opposed to 3rd quarter of the financial year which varies by country.

Sheesh

2. brainwrong

Quarters

CY3Q22 = 30th september 2022

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Naming

Who comes up with these names

It’s like they hired someone from Marvel

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Naming

I don't know, but "Threadripper" is a bit less dry then Pentium-whoteva.

1. low_resolution_foxxes

Pentium NanaSpeed3000+ featuring intel inside and security disabled.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

At least with their names, after a bit of study I can understand them. Intel used to be similar, but starting with the 10th generation, someone there decided to put all model numbers through a blender before releasing them such that there's letters in the middle, they are different ones, and I no longer see a pattern. AMD has a few issues like that as well (processors end with a letter but unlike what Intel used to do, that doesn't mean that they have the same TDP). Still, I have to give the advantage to AMD for having model numbers that I can probably guess what kind of performance and power situation they're for.

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Well it's better than Quadfather...

3. elaar

I tried to order a common temperature sensor from RS and Farnell a few weeks back and the eta is April 2023........ It must be murder for more important ICs.

1. Ace2 Silver badge

I think the real weirdness here is that it’s not RAM or flash or GPUs that are most affected - it’s the TI power monitors and reset controllers that are the hardest to find. They run on much older processes and there aren’t enough lines still running to make what we need.

4. croc

While the PRO threadrippers use the sWRX8 socket, have a care for we poor owners of an sTRX40 socket set... No news, no idea if this is a one gen socket.. I possibly should have gone with an sWRX8 chipset the first go, but the CPU prices were close to double...

I think that a huge part of the problem is that AMD and TSMC just cannot get yeilds up for the EPYC cores, and the threadripper CPUs come from the same wafers. Higher clocked though. making them even more scarce.

Yield issues, and a backlog of high margin server chips... Perfect market for price gouging, paper launching.

5. fredesmite2
    Mushroom

America's work force is too stupid to contribute. ..

Mark Liu, Chairman of TSMC, the Taiwanese company leading the world in advanced chip production. told Sixty Minutes America has lost the ability to manufacture highly technical electronics because it abandoned STEM education, and lacks manufacturing engineering skills.

America's work force is too stupid to contribute.

1. Binraider Silver badge

Re: America's work force is too stupid to contribute. ..

There are some fantastically educated US individuals. And a lot more with average education swimming in enormous debts rolled up from college; and no job to go to.

Low and behold their wages “Need” to be high and uncompetitive because of cost of living not stacking up. And businesses dont want pricey staff, funnily enough.

I cleared out my student loans in 10 years - on UK fees. If I went to uni Today, I’d have been paying for them right up to the point they were written off rather than a viable debt to clear.

As a result those with rich mummies and daddies get to go to uni, those less socially mobile are more likely to say bugger that to racking up huge debts for a qualification that might not get them anything. And in the meantime the abilities of the country haemorrhage.

What makes me particularly sick is that the voting populace by definition are made up of pro-Conservatives; the older generations of which benefitted from house price inflation outstripping wages etc creating a shittier and shittier situation for everyone to come after them.

2. dajames

Re: America's work force is too stupid to contribute. ..

America's work force is too stupid to contribute.

Methinks what he actually said is that the workforce is too ignorant to contribute.

There is a difference between stupidity and ignorance. In particular, one of them is curable.

6. goldcd

I'd be a little more more forceful in my displeasure than:

"I think I can speak for everyone that we're weary of product launches that not everyone can participate in,"

I'd be apoplectic - not just that it's a launch of something you can't buy and sell, but it's an announcement that you customers are best going elsewhere, through no fault of your own.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like