back to article China accused of cyberattacks on Indian power grid

China has been accused of conducting a long-term cyber attack on India's power grid, and has been implicated in cyber attacks against targets in Ukraine. Cybersecurity firm Insikt Group found network intrusions at seven Indian State Load Dispatch Centers (SLDCs) that conduct real-time operations for grid control and …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Compromised IP camers

I wonder where the majority of those are made?

1. Clausewitz 4.0
      Devil

Re: Compromised IP camers

Remember your personal computer most likely uses x86/x64 processors, probably from Intel or AMD.

Chinese or Russian military doesn't.

Ever wondered why?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Taking the eye off the ball

The West's obsession with crushing Russia has come at the expense of ignoring the real threat to global order, China.

I wonder what NATO's response will be when CCP tanks roll up to the borders of various Eastern European countries?

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Taking the eye off the ball

I just see virtually all countries in the world as being run by leaders who's brains never grew up after being about four to five years old. The majority of "world leaders" are just kids being stupid idiots ... they need to grow up and stop kicking their cats and puppies.

1. vtcodger Silver badge

Can't say that I disagree all that much with your assessment of world leaders. But I would point out that most countries are at least nominally democracies now days. And in a lot of them, votes are actually counted reasonably accurately. If humanity is led by a collection of posturing chuzzlewits it's hard to see who, other than ourselves, is to blame.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They never will just as long as they can strut the worlds stage showing us how important they (think) they are.

And let us not forget how they all like sending other peoples children to kill other peoples children.

Whilst they stay safely away from the actual killing areas.

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge

The "West" isn't just Europe, and the US, Canada, Australia & New Zealand, are very much aware of Imperial China's little green men invasion of the South China Sea. So are Japan, Taiwan, S. Korea, Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia & Indonesia. The Imperial Chinese bases in Equatorial Guinea & Djibouti also illustrate China's Imperial ambitions. Russia & China today are the Germany (+ ally USSR until June 1941) & Japan of the late 1930's carving up the world for their empires.

1. martinusher Silver badge

>China's little green men invasion of the South China Sea...

Its called the "South China Sea" for a reason.

As for "Imperial Ambitions" China's been on the receiving end of such attention from England, Germany, America, the US and, of course, Japan. We should not overlook the sales message contained in the notion "We got rid of those colonial masters and look at us now. Be like us and you can enjoy the same level of prosperity and security." As things stand at the moment the Chinese don't even need to try that hard to get their message across.

1. druck Silver badge

Its called the "South China Sea" for a reason.

We have a stretch of water called the English Channel, but we don't claim rights over everything from Denmark to Spain.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

And yet, the UK's EEZ is the 5th largest in the world, so they still do claim a lot, don't they?

And they use the Channel Island to carve some right out of French territorial waters, in a very Chinese way, one might say. Though of course France is hardly in a position to whine about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_economic_zone#Rankings_by_area

3. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

The Global order, AKA American hegemony. Stuff it.

Ask the 500,00 birth defect victims in Vietnam caused by agent orange if they like American hegemony.

Ask the families of the 1,000,000 murder victims in Iraq if they like American hegemony.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Global order, AKA American hegemony. Stuff it.

Ask the 500,00 birth defect victims in Vietnam caused by agent orange if they like American hegemony.

Ask the families of the 1,000,000 murder victims in Iraq if they like American hegemony.

Precisely why the rhetoric out of Washington DC about the current conflict demands the utmost scrutiny.

2. Sandtitz Silver badge
    4. Cav Bronze badge

There has been no obsession with crushing Russia. For years the opposite has been true. The West is rightfully assisting a sovereign country with its resistance to an unprovoked monstrous attack and has only been doing so for a little over a month.

Plenty of attention has been paid to China.

5. Binraider Silver badge

The rumour was that Russia was looking to China for basic military supplies. In lieu of 40+ year soviet era first aid kits, and MRE's that were 10 years out of date.

Russia defaulting on sovereign debt might even put China off dealing; given the military failures. Something about not wanting to back dead horses, no?

If China were to escalate in such a manner it exposes itself to international sanctions and; frankly, it is a road to WW3. Putin might have gone insane, but President Xi; however much we disagree with his methods, is by and large still rational. WW3 is not a good outcome for China ergo needs to be avoided.

3. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Insikt Group

Is an American-based 'intelligence' organisation. Perhaps the question should be: why is an American organisation checking the security of Indian power grid? Would the USA allow some 'intelligence' organisation to check the USA power grid? They would be saying it's spying!

Please, El Reg, stop being a front and a stooge for these American spy shops.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Insikt Group

Please,VoiceOfTruth, just stop.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Extremists do not recognize themselves. The rest of us must apply filters.

2. martinusher Silver badge

Its a legitimate question, why is everyone afraid of even asking it, yet alone answering it?

Personally, I have a beef with a certain style of article that is fairly content-free, that relies of self-appointed experts to vaguely point the finger a bad actors who always happen to be the part of the 'black sheep of the month' club. This type of press release tends to be the stock in trade of propagandists, its one of the ways that mis- or dis- information is injected into the media ecosystem. We have numerous think tanks in the US, some, but not all, financed directly or indirectly through the government, who's job is to churn out this type of material.

When we do get hard information about malware -- which is quite often on this website -- then everything invariably turns out to be more prosaic than the 'dark and dirty dealings / cloak and dagger' stuff. Just about everything has criminals at the bottom of it. (Which given India's tolerance of scam operations is karma, IMHO.)

1. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

I value your comment and the points you make. Who had heard of Insikt Group before today? Yet now they are suddenly the equivalent of front page news on The Register, their material offered as fact without any form of confirmation or critique.

Nobody is asking who Insikt Group is, who funds them, who their staff are and how qualified they are, what their agenda is, who appointed them to make reports about supposed Chinese compromises of the Indian power grid. Certainly it's not mentioned in the press release, I mean article.

Did Insikt Group really just wake up one day and say "let's look into possible Chinese compromise of the Indian power grid"? What methods did they use to carry out their inspection of the Indian power grid? And how did they, an American 'intelligence' group carry out this inspection? Were they invited in by India?

The Register is not doing its readership any favours by just publishing this article as is.

2. Cav Bronze badge

Just stop yourself. Your biased ignorance is obvious for all to see.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

America, and indeed NATO has a vested interest in demonstrating it's value to contribute to the security of members, partners and neutral parties.

Monitoring what is going on elsewhere in the world is every bit as important as monitoring at home.

So, please, stop being a front for Pres. Modhi's alignment to Russian interests, that, I can assure you are not in the interests of your average Indian citizen. It is regrettable how far the right wing leadership now esconced in India has fallen away from it's historically moderate stance.

The alternative to being an informed party is to stick your head in the sand and endure the consequences. So which will it be?

4. Clausewitz 4.0
    Devil

I think i am a target

I seriously think i am a targwt

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Were Chinese suppliers involved in the supply chain in construction of elements of the Indian grid? I'm not a gambler, but smart money says yes.

There is a reason we aren't letting Chinese crap into the UK grid. I don't care if it's cheap. Security is worth way more.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like