back to article Chinese distro Deepin hits 20.5, complete with browser called Browser

Deepin version 20.5 is the latest "Community" version of one of the best-known Chinese Linux distros, and shows an interesting blend of technological influences. The Debian-based distro is from the UnionTech Software Technology Co (Chinese language only) in the People's Republic of China, however, it supports multiple …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

... is actively removing functionality from its text editor, terminal emulator and so on.

Well, that certainly makes for a refreshing change :-)

2. Ian Johnston Silver badge

To be fair, though, many of the GNOME apps are also pretty basic, and the project is actively removing functionality from its text editor, terminal emulator and so on.

On first reading I thought that "the project" referred to the GNOME project. Then I thought about it, and decided that my first reading was probably right.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"the distro has its own browser, called just Browser"

Fair enough. I have several digging implements in my garage. I just cll them spades.

4. MiguelC Silver badge
    Big Brother

A Chinese distro called Deepin, with almost every program included Deepin-branded

There's a joke somewhere, but I couldn't find it... must be buried deep in... One can only wonder was else might be languishing deep in the code

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"it's the prettiest Linux around"

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. With controls in the title bar it wouldn't find favour in mine. The title bar of the window in which I'm typing this has the article title, "The Register Forums" and browser name occupying a significant par of the bar. No room for controls, it's called the title bar for a reason.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
      Stop

I'm with you on this, Doc...

most apps have a combined title-and-control bar with a menu button at the end.

<shudder>

6. chivo243 Silver badge

Dabbled in Deepin

I was looking for an OS X clone a while back, and came across this one. I tried it in a VM, some complaints (banners) that it wouldn't perform as well, they were right. I tried it on a HP lappy with good specs, still didn't perform as I would have hoped, track pad\mouse lagging issues.

For a guess, I'm guessing the creator of said OS is Dee Pin or some derivation.

7. cookieMonster Silver badge
    Happy

It makes Mint or Fedora look positively staid

that's why I like Mint.

Boring is a good thing for an OS.

8. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Mount points

-> the Data volume is mounted at /data rather than /home

Why is it called the Data volume at all? This reminds me of macOS, which took the easy to understand UNIX derived file system naming and mounting scheme, and I now have this ridiculous /System/Volumes/Data. It is added complexity where it does not need to exist.

-> – you now get LibreOffice instead: a rather dated version 7.0.4.2

There are barely any changes worth mentioning between 7.0.xx and 7.2.xx (which I use). Some, yes. But nothing that I have really noticed being so important that I absolutely had to update. I wish that LibreOffice would not go down this route of making small, fairly pointless, updates like Firefox does. Version 200 will be coming along before you know it.

I looked at Deepin a year ago. It is indeed very pretty.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mount points

Glad you like the look of it, as soon that's the only software you'll be allowed to use in UTC+3.

1. Richard Crossley
        Thumb Down

China is UTC+8 and as far as I know English isn't restricted there.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

VoiceOfPravda isn't posting from UTC+8.

9. Gene Cash Silver badge

I tried installing it...

It said I couldn't set the root password to tiananmensquare.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I tried installing it...

That's mightily surprising, considering Tian'anmen square is the literal political center of the PRC.

Oh, ooooh, maybe you really meant some tongue-in-cheek reference to 6月4日?

2. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Strangely when I tried Fedora it allowed me to set the root password to massacreOfInnocentPeopleAtKabulAirportAndLieAboutItUntilCaught.

3. A.P. Veening Silver badge

It said I couldn't set the root password to tiananmensquare.

You already translated the "square" part to English, once you translate the rest (Heavenly Peace), you will probably get away with it.

4. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Did you?

Long ago, SCO UNIX wouldn't let me set the root password to "moscow" (just as well I suppose)... because it has "sco" in it. So it's blocking things like "scoroot" or "sco123" really.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like